Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

I believe getting the office space leased out is what killed the Tower at Falls and Broad. Which only irritates me because companies would rather be elsewhere in the area.

They're planning a 10 story highrise on the Greenville Mall site at the intersections of I-385, I-85, and Woodruff Rd. It will have great exposure to travelers, but why? Maybe once it is finalized and the company is announced we'll know... I believe I read about Columbia losing, was it SCANA(?) downtown. What's up with these companies?! :angry:

Anyway, I know of a proposal here in Greenville for the intersection of Main & Washington which will consist of a highrise. Depending on how they play their cards and work their space it could break the cap. It would be right in the middle of our skyline and connect the South Main buildings to the North Main buildings. I believe they were trying to make it Greenville's tallest because of its location. But it's all very early now. ;)

And for the record, I'd hate to see the title go to Myrtle Beach. :)

I believe it will be Greenville. Also, in regard to the top post, when you here who it is, you will be very happy.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three are at least a dozen highrise cranes putting up towers in Myrtle Beach right now, and I have heard that more are coming. It's just a matter of time, and not much of it, that a new tallest appears in the Myrtle Beach. Land has gotten horribly expensive there and there isn't much of it for the demand. This always means the skyscrapers are coming.

Three are at least a dozen highrise cranes putting up towers in Myrtle Beach right now, and I have heard that more are coming. It's just a matter of time, and not much of it, that a new tallest appears in the Myrtle Beach. Land has gotten horribly expensive there and there isn't much of it for the demand. This always means the skyscrapers are coming.

Sounds great! What happened to the plans we heard of for Atlantic Beach? Weren't those twin towers going to break the cap?

Does Columbia still have a restirction on the height of buildings? I recall back in the mid 90's the corporation (AT&T) that I worked for wanted to build an office building above 40 stories, but we had to settle for 26. The company no longer owns the building.

Just asking.

Does Columbia still have a restirction on the height of buildings? I recall back in the mid 90's the corporation (AT&T) that I worked for wanted to build an office building above 40 stories, but we had to settle for 26. The company no longer owns the building.

Just asking.

At that time a 40-story tower where the Capital Center is would have looked very weird. While a 40-story building would look good in the mix now, it still would look weird where the Capital Center sits with no other buildings near that height around it.

Just asking.

AT&T never owned that building, they paid rights fees to have their logo on the top. Columbia only has height restrictions in the Vista.

Those renderings for the Atlantic Beach project are not half bad.

AT&T never owned that building, they paid rights fees to have their logo on the top. Columbia only has height restrictions in the Vista.

Those renderings for the Atlantic Beach project are not half bad.

Thanks for the info about the restriction, I stand corrected, we didn't own the building. But we did propose to build a 40-story plus one. It didn't work out, so we built the Promenade II complex in Midtown Atlanta. This was in the mid-late 80's instead of the 90's.

Again, thanks.

Thanks for the info about the restriction, I stand corrected, we didn't own the building. But we did propose to build a 40-story plus one. It didn't work out, so we built the Promenade II complex in Midtown Atlanta. This was in the mid-late 80's instead of the 90's.

Again, thanks.

:shok: WHAT! The Promenade II could have been the crown jewel in Columbia?

I think he was asking for a source or something, or how do you know

I worked for the company at the time and the Columbia cap issue was critiqued by many in reoorganization meetings. As a SC Native, I endured a lot of bad jokes about it.

From what I understand, there isn't a height restriction downtown (aside from the Vista). The city probably didn't want something so tall in close proximity to the Statehouse.

Boo! Even more reason why Sherman (Oops!... I mean the freightened Confeds) should've torched that block in the first place.

Exactly. And it's just as fun this time, though tainted with recent sour memories. I'll believe it when I see the crane going up. :lol:

Yep, it is hard to believe much around here right now about all these "proposed" projects. None of them are happening. Until that changes I doubt it will be Gville. I feel like maybe all these developeres are waiting for someone to build and then see if it works out. A stark contrast to places like Charlotte or Miami where everyone wants to be the first.

Archived