Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Though i agree that we should get rid of pembroke mall, i doubt it will ever come to be unfortunately. I am just hoping it turns into lynnhaven mall or something with a little class. Also, is there any plans to move PA and the church so we can build up to the creek and try to establish some natural boundaries for the town center. The creek goes around it on the front and one side and mount trashmore and the highway create a boundary to the other side. Has anyone heard of such a plan to create an area like that?

Though i agree that we should get rid of pembroke mall, i doubt it will ever come to be unfortunately.  I am just hoping it turns into lynnhaven mall or something with a little class.  Also, is there any plans to move PA and the church so we can build up to the creek and try to establish some natural boundaries for the town center.  The creek goes around it on the front and one side and mount trashmore and the highway create a boundary to the other side.  Has anyone heard of such a plan to create an area like that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the beaches 2010 plan talks about something to that effect, i posted a link to it somewhere in this forum but its probably so buried in info i'll have to post it again. The plan actually envisions urban style development extending all the way up the Va Beach Blvd corridor to rosemont. It's pretty interesting. Welcome to the forum mistermetaj :) , we've taken on about 10 new people this week and its getting pretty active so come back and visit a lot. B) .

What is the 2010 plan. I have never seen it but i am really dying to see what it is all about. I contacted the head architect of CMSS and i asked him about town center but he didnt have any answers. My grandmother works in PA and she says they are planning on rennovating it so i didnt know if they were trying to stay in there area. If you can repost what you said that would be great.

also, does anyone know about the marriot hotel that is supposed to be built on i think 9th street.  And, when will the plans to revolutionize 19th street come into effect and group breaking begin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The revitalization of 19th street may not happen if the Navy's new zoning laws take effect.

What is the 2010 plan.  I have never seen it but i am really dying to see what it is all about.  I contacted the head architect of CMSS and i asked him about town center but he didnt have any answers.  My grandmother works in PA and she says they are planning on rennovating it so i didnt know if they were trying to stay in there area.  If you can repost what you said that would be great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.vbgov.com/dept/planning/vgn_files/policy_ch2.pdf

Link to Va. Beachs master plan. Warning: Very large pdf file.

Great having all the new people here! I am just curious how you guys are finding out about the site. I hope to also chat with some of you soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more people that post, the higher the hit rate we have on google, therefore the more people that find us, therefore the more people that post. It's a wonderful cycle. When i first joined in sept of 04 i was member 769 and they had been in existence for over a year. In less than half that time we have now managed to climb to almost 2300 members. The growth rate is exponential and we only forecast this to accelerate.

I'm just glad to more people interested in the development of this area. It's great, I just wish more people like us could make a difference in this area, like all of us working together to make this area grow. Lets go for major league sports in this area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cityview constitution drive alignment and the wedgewood development are both on the council agenda for april 5th. vbda has recommended approval for wedgewood and we may hear a timetable tuesday for cityview. Here is a link to a very long (117 page) pdf file detailing revisions to the two developments plus other ordinances. The wedgewood material (the project is called cornerstone) begins on page 73 and continues to the end of the document. Very in depth, includign aerial photos. The cityview project is mentioned in one line on page 3 and it will be a public comment session (i'm guessing probably so that residents in the way of the new constitution drive alignment have a chance to voice their concerns). I'll post more info as more becomes availiable.

agenda

reading back and forth from the norfolk development and vabeach development forums, it gives me the feel of a great build up race that will occur. It is slow moving now, but once both cities establish themselves with high rises, i think there is going to be a race for the skyline.

reading back and forth from the norfolk development and vabeach development forums, it gives me the feel of a great build up race that will occur.  It is slow moving now, but once both cities establish themselves with high rises, i think there is going to be a race for the skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if the Navy has its way Va. Beach may be capped at the Westins height unfortunately. That doesn't mean that Va. Beach won't be in the race for overall # of new highrises once towncenters other phases heat up. I have a feeling that Norfolks next round of announcements will handily take care of the height category however. Thats ok though, Va. Beach can still have a nice skyline with a couple 400 footers, just so long as the quality of architecture starts to improve.

Well if the Navy has its way Va. Beach may be capped at the Westins height unfortunately. That doesn't mean that Va. Beach won't be in the race for overall # of new highrises once towncenters other phases heat up. I have a feeling that Norfolks next round of announcements will handily take care of the height category however. Thats ok though, Va. Beach can still have a nice skyline with a couple 400 footers, just so long as the quality of architecture starts to improve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do the navy guidelines include Pembroke eastward to the Norfolk city line? If not, they should start heading that way. There are already some low-rise buildings from there to the Newtown area. Maybe Newtown could become a new development area as well, right on the Norfolk-VaBeach line.

Do the navy guidelines include Pembroke eastward to the Norfolk city line?  If not, they should start heading that way.  There are already some low-rise buildings from there to the Newtown area.  Maybe Newtown could become a new development area as well, right on the Norfolk-VaBeach line.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are referring to Pembroke and points westward, no i don't believe so. As mistermetaj said however, that would take a long long time to bring development down there.

I don't know if any of you have seen these ambitious plans for North Beach, but it looks pretty good. It looks like they're planning two 19 story towers and one 20 story tower. I think 2 of the 3 have been or are being completed as we speak, but I didn't know that there was a third planned.

OBC webpage

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only tower 1 ( the short one) is almost completed. They just started on 2 and 3.

reading back and forth from the norfolk development and vabeach development forums, it gives me the feel of a great build up race that will occur.  It is slow moving now, but once both cities establish themselves with high rises, i think there is going to be a race for the skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no way man. not gonna happen. norfolk has a hundred year jumpstart. it will never be a race for the skyline. 2 buildings dont equate a "skyline". :rofl: