Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

• 2 months later...

3 things of interest on the  Development Authority agenda for today: 

AMPHITHEATER/ARENA
5. Request for approval of a resolution authorizing an extension of the term (i) of the 
Ground Lease between the City and the Authority and (ii) of the facility lease between 
the Authority and Cellar Door/Live Nation. – A. Stiles

TOWN CENTER 
7. Request for approval of agreement with North Overlook LLC for Town Center Phase VI. 
– M. Wawner/R. Hudome
8. Request for approval of a resolution authorizing the execution of non-binding term sheet 
with CityView Two, L.L.C. for the development of a mixed-use project. –

They are often deliberately cryptic with their explanation of these items in their agendas. I do expect we will hear some more details on these projects soon though.

• 4 weeks later...

The oceanfront has apt. development on 17th between cypress and parks.  Taking the block with 7-11 on it.  Two ground floor office-retail, some below-market-value units, parking in rear, tying in to ViBE.

http://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/virginia-beach-developer-planning-apartments-near-oceanfront-arena-site/article_13be103c-3dd4-5754-bf35-42418e36c079.html

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Item 11 on Octobers planning agenda is a proposal to redevelop a portion of industrial land, between 264 and the scrap metal facility off of witchduck, into an apartment complex.  This area has changed tremendously recently with over a dozen buildings torn down in the past year.  Once Witchduck is widened it'll be unrecognizable.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2016/10 October/20161012-PLN-CUR-00-AGENDA.pdf

Once the Tide goes through, it will be a short walk to a station from there most likely. Smart planning if you ask me, even if you don't plan on building any time soon. I wish someone would put up a nice apartment tower near the Newtown station just to show how well it would work. A mini urban area that could benefit *both* Norfolk and VA Beach. The type of urban development that would be good along the line, near stations within walking distances. Think Cosmopolitan but scaled to fit both physical and economical location with more strip mall type shops. Build a couple near each other and close a strip mall, I would see that as a win any day.

1 hour ago, BFG said:

Isn't there a mixed-use development planned for the corner of Princess Anne and Newtown? That's about a block from the station. 

I saw the plans from 2010, but nothing really showed any urban development in that area. The improvements looked good and much needed though. The lot on the corner on Norfolk's side screams for a little more space, and tower. Maybe a mixed use office/residential/retail if they could get rid of that one office building next to it. Or if they get really lucky multi towers with a hotel/conference center deal.

19 hours ago, Brennen said:

Item 11 on Octobers planning agenda is a proposal to redevelop a portion of industrial land, between 264 and the scrap metal facility off of witchduck, into an apartment complex.  This area has changed tremendously recently with over a dozen buildings torn down in the past year.  Once Witchduck is widened it'll be unrecognizable.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2016/10 October/20161012-PLN-CUR-00-AGENDA.pdf

A36 is suburban unfortunately.  The ones to watch for are B3, B3A, and B4C. Those are the urban/ mixed use designations.

4 hours ago, CrazyPy said:
7 hours ago, BFG said:

Isn't there a mixed-use development planned for the corner of Princess Anne and Newtown? That's about a block from the station. 

I saw the plans from 2010, but nothing really showed any urban development in that area. The improvements looked good and much needed though. The lot on the corner on Norfolk's side screams for a little more space, and tower. Maybe a mixed use office/residential/retail if they could get rid of that one office building next to it. Or if they get really lucky multi towers with a hotel/conference center deal.

If I am correct the lot you are referring to is going to eventually have a two story Chartway Federal Credit Union.  The new 2 story development will be at the intersection of Newtown and Princess Anne on the Norfolk side.  There is a sign with a rendering and it looks pretty nice.  It looks like the tower next to where Chartway will be, has a new name.

Edited by tallguy81"

• 4 months later...

Mythics, a local tech company, is relocating its corporate office to Town Center from its current Great Neck Road location and adding new jobs. Town center is doing well. About time for another tower to go up. ;)

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/technology/virginia-beach-based-tech-company-mythics-moving-to-town-center/article_a101bd1c-bfe2-5748-8a70-10bae8485f6a.html

Edited by urbanvb

Looking at the loop net listing. After this sale updates, they'll only have 43,000 sq ft of space left available. Building is 225,000 sq ft. That means the building is 81% leased. Not a lot of contiguous space left available in TC. We need a minimum 300 but hopefully 500,000 sq ft tower to be announced. Should give us a building anywhere from 20 to 30 floors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 5:07 AM, vdogg said:

Looking at the loop net listing. After this sale updates, they'll only have 43,000 sq ft of space left available. Building is 225,000 sq ft. That means the building is 81% leased. Not a lot of contiguous space left available in TC. We need a minimum 300 but hopefully 500,000 sq ft tower to be announced. Should give us a building anywhere from 20 to 30 floors.

Where extactly would this tower be? And any more word on it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 10:07 AM, baobabs727 said:

19th St VB= New entertainment district, 400 room convention hotel, athletics field house?

Arena providing some momentum?

https://www.google.com/amp/pilotonline.com/business/could-virginia-beach-turn-th-street-into-an-entertainment-district/article_d1f69807-720d-56ad-b8f6-3eba162f570e.amp.html

Well, we've been here before, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. That said, it looks promising. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2017 at 1:36 PM, vdogg said:

Well, we've been here before, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. That said, it looks promising. 

Believe me, I feel your pain. But this time, with the investment funds from the tourist $$ and the other funding mechanisms incl some small tax increases and dedicated streams, I think much of this will finally get done.  I just watched one of the Council's planning workshops, and it looks like they'll have enough money to build the athletic field house without borrowing.  Also, more money for road improvements, stormwater mitigation, and a new City Hall. 

• 3 weeks later...