Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

I could care less about BWW, but this picqued my interest. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/virginia-beach-is-getting-a-buffalo-wild-wings-near-town/article_c259a187-3d29-59bd-aff9-d7a65cf151f2.html

"A new restaurant isn't the only change coming to the Town Center area.

Last month, Kmart announced it would close its remaining store in Virginia Beach, located at 312 Constitution Drive near Town Center. Rudiger, who said he always wished he could acquire that property, thinks expanding Town Center’s mixed-use development concept to the site would fit well."

Only good part about that BWW is that it will be isolated from everything else. 

I am curious to find out what the owner of that shopping center is planning. There's obviously been some communication with the City based on Economic Development filing that planning document but there's a lot of tenants on both sides of the Kmart. I am hoping for something different but expect it to be divided up for smaller, midsized retail (at least for now). 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If we can get this entertainment district off the ground, I think it will change the entire character of the area, and make us a premier destination.

http://wavy.com/2017/10/25/parking-congestion-among-concerns-over-proposed-oceanfront-sports-complex/

“I’m not super happy about it,” Horan said, who has seen an increase in congestion in the nine years since moving to Virginia Beach. “Are we going to become so commercial that we lose that kind of small town feel?”

The things I wish to say about this statement are inappropriate for a family forum. <_<

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vdogg said:

If we can get this entertainment district off the ground, I think it will change the entire character of the area, and make us a premier destination.

http://wavy.com/2017/10/25/parking-congestion-among-concerns-over-proposed-oceanfront-sports-complex/

“I’m not super happy about it,” Horan said, who has seen an increase in congestion in the nine years since moving to Virginia Beach. “Are we going to become so commercial that we lose that kind of small town feel?”

The things I wish to say about this statement are inappropriate for a family forum. <_<

I dunno how to break this to her, but VB lost its "small town feel" about 30 years ago. You're the largest city in Virginia, for crying out loud. 

Whatever. Just go back to being Princess Anne County. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

She should have moved to "Mayberry",  not to a city of over 400 K pop.  like VB.

Has there been any more info. on this?

There was a Pilot article about it and it's on the Planning docket next month. But no specifics thus far as the city is applying for the rezoning. 

Franklin Johnston will be building apartments next to the Renaissance Academy. Anybody remember when this went through Planning?  I vaguely remember it but can't pinpoint it. IMG_0189.thumb.PNG.eff8500140a33bdd8736f1dc25614a44.PNG

Edit:  Turns out it is headed to the PC (240 units proposed). 

Edited by 23320

On 10/26/2017 at 10:39 AM, 23320 said:

There was a Pilot article about it and it's on the Planning docket next month. But no specifics thus far as the city is applying for the rezoning. 

Edited by 23320

• 1 month later...

I actually agree with the home owners on this one. If I bought a house in the neighborhood of a golf course, I wouldn't want to stare at a factory every day. They could build more houses there instead and a factory could go at plenty of other places in VB like London Bridge Rd. or Dam Neck Rd.

26 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

I actually agree with the home owners on this one. If I bought a house in the neighborhood of a golf course, I wouldn't want to stare at a factory every day. They could build more houses there instead and a factory could go at plenty of other places in VB like London Bridge Rd. or Dam Neck Rd.

The Navy limits the type of development in the area and houses are one of the limitations. But the factory itself doesn't sound like it's going to be an eyesore it's suppose to be environmentally clean and sounds like they'll be planting a lot of trees. 

The Navy will not allow residential development on that property. Additionally, these houses that you say were on the golf course? No, they simply happen to be sharing the view with everyone else.  Including you and me who walk down the street, & the wildlife that live in the trees. They have no deeded right to that view. Their properties weren't developed by the golf course people. They were just lucky to have that view for all these years.

The applicant has gone to tremendous lengths in designing his building and thoughtful site plan for maximum aesthetic impact and superior preservation of the natural habitat.  But most significantly, the applicant has promised to include everyone in on the profiteering. The adjacent residents will get trained for jobs in a preferential manner. And these neighbors are likely to make significantly more $$ there than they are making at their present jobs.  I watched the planning commission hearing and was most impressed by this application.  Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm sorry, but these people live in the highest possible APZ and noise zone. Let's not pretend that this area is full of pristine vegetation and frolicking wildlife. We have 1100 jobs that make an average of 70 k a year on the line here and yet the folks that complain about everything are even complaining about this. These are the same folks that will decry our lack of decent paying jobs and low wages. It's ridiculous. They need to stop being selfish and realize how much this will help their fellow citizens and the city at large.

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

I'm sorry, but these people live in the highest possible APZ and noise zone. Let's not pretend that this area is full of pristine vegetation and frolicking wildlife. We have 1100 jobs that make an average of 70 k a year on the line here and yet the folks that complain about everything are even complaining about this. These are the same folks that will decry our lack of decent paying jobs and low wages. It's ridiculous. They need to stop being selfish and realize how much this will help their fellow citizens and the city at large.

But... but.... but...... these employers should be placed in an invisible location 10000 feet in the sky. That way we can all have good jobs and don't have to look at their filthy buildings.

Also, rainbows and unicorns exist.