Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

The Architects/Developers of 31 Ocean have submitted a preliminary concept plan for a project called "St. Paul's Street". The only other detail given is that the project is on VB Blvd. Given the type of project they typically do this may be one to watch.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wrote to my longtime source at Pembroke Mall asking about Uptown Alley, the impending Sears vacancy and the redevelopment of the old Jason's area next to DSW.

Uptown is out. However, they are  currently working on several exciting entertainment concepts that would be similar to Uptown. Did not say why they were out, but I had heard that Uptown was focusing on expanding in overseas markets. 

The Sears vacancy will likely have an impact on the entire mall. And a large impact at that--more significant than anyone would imagine at present. There are now a multitude of options/directions under active consideration for the future of the mall, in general. TBD.

In the works is a new junior anchor for the space by the old Jason's and DSW.  Details are getting ironed out. TBA. 

I was looking at their site map recently and I noticed it looked like they moved everyone out of the space behind the old Jason’s space. Figured something was coming soon but haven’t seen anything. 

Is the Sears exit a positive or a negative?  I have to believe it’s a positive but hopefully you can clarify the mall’s thinking. I know Greenbrier Mall took the ‘new opportunity’ stance in the article in the Pilot - which I agree with. Hoping CBL & Seritage can work out a JV there like they have elsewhere. 

While this person didn't say exactly to what the Sears departure would lead, the emphasis was on "impact to the *entire* mall"...and a "greater catalyst for change than anyone might expect." Unfortunately, I simply don't have any other details, but the emailed response re: Sears was clearly a positive, forward-looking one with emphasis on a multitude of new, transformational opportunities for the mall created by the aforementioned anchor's departure. 

They've been working on that SW JR. Anchor buildout where Jason's was formerly located for a good while, but there is still nothing specific to report.

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

I really wish they'd just gut this mall and turn the area into something similar to Hampton Town Center. Stop trying to hold on to a dying concept. It's over. Time to move on.

With all the development and proposals going on around Town Center, this makes the most sense. Urban development, then a suburban (outdated) mall across the street just looks bizarre, even with the Wegmans and strip malls across the street.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, baobabs727 said:

Wrote to my longtime source at Pembroke Mall asking about Uptown Alley, the impending Sears vacancy and the redevelopment of the old Jason's area next to DSW.

Uptown is out. However, they are  currently working on several exciting entertainment concepts that would be similar to Uptown. Did not say why they were out, but I had heard that Uptown was focusing on expanding in overseas markets.

Boo!  I was still holding out hope that Uptown would eventually come to fruition.  I don't have high hopes for Pembroke at the moment, though it really should be prime for development/redevelopment what with the TC corridor being so hype right now.

Does anyone know what's going on over by the Top Golf?  Looks like site work for something new....maybe it's in another forum here, but if anyone has the lowdown, I'd appreciate the scoop.

• Like 1

I cannot imagine Pembroke would touch the "new" REI, Fresh Market, Nordstrom Rack, Kohls, Bahama Breeze or Target. However, the rest?  He didn't say, but I'm guessing that the Sears vacancy would allow for a big hole to be punched out right there, either as a way to open up the inside to pedestrian or vehicular traffic (or both) by bulldozing the "mall guts" and replacing them with new shops, cafes, etc.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, likeminded said:

Boo!  I was still holding out hope that Uptown would eventually come to fruition.  I don't have high hopes for Pembroke at the moment, though it really should be prime for development/redevelopment what with the TC corridor being so hype right now.

Does anyone know what's going on over by the Top Golf?  Looks like site work for something new....maybe it's in another forum here, but if anyone has the lowdown, I'd appreciate the scoop.

It may just be site work for the 264/64 interchange I heard it's really close to it but, I may be wrong though as I haven't been home in 2 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, likeminded said:

That’s where the Greenwich overpass is going through. 

08818F7B-89CB-4CD7-BB07-709C28C6B7E7.thumb.jpeg.cde0ba89fc04a9e1f1eb037e0f4da5e5.jpeg

Obviously the empty field to the east is where Topgolf is now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BFG said:

With all the development and proposals going on around Town Center, this makes the most sense. Urban development, then a suburban (outdated) mall across the street just looks bizarre, even with the Wegmans and strip malls across the street.

I don't see them doing anything changes to this sight until after Town Center and Town Center North are completely built out. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 8:07 PM, 23320 said:

That’s where the Greenwich overpass is going through. 

08818F7B-89CB-4CD7-BB07-709C28C6B7E7.thumb.jpeg.cde0ba89fc04a9e1f1eb037e0f4da5e5.jpeg

Obviously the empty field to the east is where Topgolf is now. 

Interesting that they are making Cleveland St no longer a dead end street. Is this something that is needed? Future plans for that end of Cleveland or something?

It’s being done so they can close the existing route to accommodate an exit ramp at Witchduck. Once the new ramp is in place the current ramp will close and the intersection will be four points instead of five. 

There is an office building planned in the wooded area of the image on Cleveland Street. I believe it’s already been shared somewhere here but I’ll post a rendering when I have time later. 

507D81EF-F316-4E5D-BF04-5D9133BA8DD0.thumb.png.b29e3b169b1939f870c223f586e4abee.png

Edited by 23320
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

PointOne, An International Hyperscale Data Center Developer, To Invest $80 Million in Virginia Beach

“PointOne, a hyperscale data center developer headquartered in Alberta, Canada, announced plans to invest $80 million in Virginia Beach. The project consists of two phases and will involve construction of two 31,000-square-foot facilities that will house edge computing data centers, a cable landing station for future subsea cables and an international internet business exchange. Phase I completion is anticipated in the fourth quarter of 2019.

The Virginia Beach Economic Development Authority approved a purchase agreement for a 10.4-acre site in Corporate Landing Business Park to PointOne for $2.08 million.”

Edited by 23320
Formatting
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/article_be3fb422-fcc1-11e8-bcc1-a71cf1596af8.html

I can’t believe that we’re going through this again. I. Just. Can’t. Believe.. It...  The on again off again convention center hotel is, surprise, on again.  And the city that can never get anything done will, again, continue to never get anything done. Someone stop this merry-go-round. <_<

10 hours ago, vdogg said:

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/article_be3fb422-fcc1-11e8-bcc1-a71cf1596af8.html

I can’t believe that we’re going through this again. I. Just. Can’t. Believe.. It...  The on again off again convention center hotel is, surprise, on again.  And the city that can never get anything done will, again, continue to never get anything done. Someone stop this merry-go-round. <_<

If it makes you feel any better, Portland is just now building its Convention Center Hotel after debating it for about 20 years.

• 2 months later...