Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

I was on 264 yesterday near Mt. Trashmore, and I glanced over and saw a long white and wood (?) building going up near Convergence. Looks like it would be at the corner of Bonney and Constitution. Any idea what that is? I'm guessing an apartment or hotel?

15 minutes ago, BFG said:

I was on 264 yesterday near Mt. Trashmore, and I glanced over and saw a long white and wood (?) building going up near Convergence. Looks like it would be at the corner of Bonney and Constitution. Any idea what that is? I'm guessing an apartment or hotel?

It’s a Residence Inn. There’s a pinned thread about it. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BFG said:

If he's saying what I think he is, I think it would compliment Town Center very well. I wish they would bring back the pedestrian bridge concept. Someone at MacArthur needs to pay attention to this.

Yes. Sounds to me like he is attempting to get past any prior agreements with the anchor tenants which likely contain language which limit his ability to demolish the mall/redevelop the property without the anchor's consent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Ramsay Smith at Pembroke mall tells me that they are working on 3rd party agreements with Target, Kohl's and Seritage, owners of the Sears space, toward the creation of a "more dense" environment "in keeping with other malls in the nation." 

He then said that he wound't care to comment further. I'd love to see some mixed used development with retail and housing. 

This is good news. There's so much potential here. I'd love to see some mixed use development with retail and housing. 

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Yes. Sounds to me like he is attempting to get past any prior agreements with the anchor tenants which likely contain language which limit his ability to demolish the mall/redevelop the property without the anchor's consent.

Hopefully, eventually, the whole property is turned inside out and made to look similar to Town Center.

• 1 month later...

VHB inc has submitted a preliminary concept plan for “air rail ave redevelopment”. As far as I know that area is primarily warehouse and industrial so this may be nothing but the company that submitted it boasts a lot of high quality, urban, mixed use developments so it’s something that bears watching.

https://www.vhb.com/Pages/Experience/Markets/Real-Estate/mixed-use.aspx

This part is particularly interesting, apparently they have experience transforming industrial properties to mixed use. I’m intrigued.

:huh:

C819F8F0-FB3F-4389-9BC3-6ECC230F781B.jpeg

1537 Air Rail is being renovated by Lingerfelt Commonwealth for WDS. Based on their economic grant, over $6 million is being spent to renovate the facility and 35 new jobs will be created. This caught by eye too since Lingerfelt doesn’t have a lot of industrial properties & the land between the industrial park and the outlets is being considered for apartments. Still a positive development though. 

Lingerfelt Commonwealth - 1537 Air Rail Ave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Something to keep an eye on:  a preliminary site plan has been filed for the gas station at 31st & Atlantic. It’s for a retail development simply called “31st Street Retail Shoppes.”  That’s one of the best corners in the region so hopefully they have something special planned. Address is 3100 Atlantic Avenue if anyone wants to look into it. 

The city council will be briefed on two potential land sales at next weeks work session prior to their meeting. One is on Princess Anne Rd and is likely the development of a three story office building for Ynot Pizza located next to their restaurant at Landstown Commons.  This is currently working its way through the rezoning process.

447190B4-79E5-489E-87D8-45A40CA8C3DA.jpeg.5c3084c6fd4f5e59ac5382bdddaf4205.jpeg

The second one is located on Bonney Road and includes cost participation. I suspect it will be the land adjacent to the Days Inn that has been discussed here previously. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vdogg said:

Mixed-use development being planned for 17th Street. No details just yet, just popped up on the docket.

I looked at this a little when it first came up. The GPINs are two small storefronts right behind 17th St Surf Shop so unless they omitted additional parcels it won’t be significant. I’m expecting retail with a few apartments or offices above. 

4 hours ago, BFG said:

Honestly there’s so many of them now that are so similarly named it’s hard to tell. It would be extremely unlikely for something like this to make it to groundbreaking without us having known about it so who knows.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:43 AM, 23320 said:

The city council will be briefed on two potential land sales at next weeks work session prior to their meeting. One is on Princess Anne Rd and is likely the development of a three story office building for Ynot Pizza located next to their restaurant at Landstown Commons.  This is currently working its way through the rezoning process.

447190B4-79E5-489E-87D8-45A40CA8C3DA.jpeg.5c3084c6fd4f5e59ac5382bdddaf4205.jpeg

The second one is located on Bonney Road and includes cost participation. I suspect it will be the land adjacent to the Days Inn that has been discussed here previously. 

City Council will vote on the land sales in my previous post on Tuesday. The Bonney Road site will have 200k SF of office space amongst 3 buildings, 310 apartments amongst 2 buildings, and an 1,100 space parking garage. 

BD1A2238-824E-41D8-8AC3-BB89F27768D5.jpeg.58a551a89414d3649119e2e69f241347.jpeg

5DCDF628-6899-4251-8C45-62556CEFFDFB.jpeg.e096d738d1ff21dfc484f3c4ba9e80a6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 31st Street/Laskin just before you reach the traffic circle, if you look off to the left there's a gazebo and a pile driver next to it. A TON of piles have been driven, indicating that a substantial building is going there. Anybody know what that is?

57 minutes ago, vdogg said:

On 31st Street/Laskin just before you reach the traffic circle, if you look off to the left there's a gazebo and a pile driver next to it. A TON of piles have been driven, indicating that a substantial building is going there. Anybody know what that is?

It is a BB&T Office. It’s supposed to be 3-stories and similar to the building Wheeler proposed there previously. I’ll try to find some images of it. 

Edit: Pilot article regarding the sale

Edited by 23320

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 12:10 AM, 23320 said:

Something to keep an eye on:  a preliminary site plan has been filed for the gas station at 31st & Atlantic. It’s for a retail development simply called “31st Street Retail Shoppes.”  That’s one of the best corners in the region so hopefully they have something special planned. Address is 3100 Atlantic Avenue if anyone wants to look into it. 

A preliminary site plan has been filed for a Homewood Suites at 3104 Atlantic Avenue, to the immediate north of the gas station. It is being developed by Harmony Hospitality. Seems like big changes are coming to this block. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, vdogg said:

Mixed-use development being planned for 17th Street. No details just yet, just popped up on the docket.

Growth brings shortage of commercial space to ViBe District - Southside Daily

Later this year we hope to see the 300 block of 17th Street be redeveloped by a private business owner,” Pittman said. “And we expect that within the next two years several larger developments will be underway and open up larger lease opportunities that do not currently exist.”

Pretty sure this quote is referencing the property previously discussed. 

311-315 Virginia Beach Boulevard Listing

The listing is for 10k SF of renovated retail space. 

8BA632EA-7A83-42EC-B2E5-5B50B0869D62.thumb.png.3dc2c4adc37e34c0d2ddcd8ee135f77d.png

• 3 weeks later...