Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Do you think the 7 cities or 3 cities(Norf, VA Beach, P-town) or 2 cities (Hpt,NN),(Suffolk and Chesapeake appears to me that they do not want to play in our skyline game that's why i said 2 and 3 cities) will have the potential to connect each of their downtowns, mid-towns, up-towns or what ever-towns as did the boroughs of NY has over the pass century to make up one huge skyline, it may take some time but it is possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NYC as a whole does not have the great skyline, it belongs to Manhattan. BKLYN has a couple buildings and Bronx, Quuens and SI do not contribute to the NYC skyline in any way that I can think of. I think Jersey City has a better skyline than any of the outer bouroughs to be honest. Norfolk and Porstmouth should try to get a competition going though... that would be the best for a composite skyline.

Do you think the 7 cities or 3 cities(Norf, VA Beach, P-town) or 2 cities (Hpt,NN),(Suffolk and Chesapeake appears to me that they do not want to play in our skyline game that's why i said 2 and 3 cities) will have the potential to connect each of their downtowns, mid-towns, up-towns or what ever-towns as did the boroughs of NY has over the pass century to make up one huge skyline, it may take some time but it is possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, i think the only cities that have a possibility of that happening is Norfolk and Portsmouth. but they still wouldn't merege or connect. unfortuantly, TC is too far away for the 2 downtows to merge. the distance is probably longer than all of Manhattan itself.

and just so you know, none of NYC's skylines merge togeather. all of Manhattan is uptown, midtown and downtown. Brooklyn does have a huge skyline, its just not connected with the skyline that you see on TV (usually). nor is queens(they dont have too much of a skyline anyways). Harlem and the bronx is the "uptown" part of Manhattan.

Now, Norfolk does have a downtown and midtown. hence the tunnels. and i do believe that back in the day early 1900's they actually called it that(ghent/colley=midtown).

I do suggest to anyone who can get their hands on the "Norfolk" a pictorial books, reads them. you would be surprised about how norfolk looked back in the day. Norfolk was an awesome looking city. i was truly amazed with what i saw. for some dumb reason int he late 50's,60's & 70's, Norfolk wanted to "de-urbanize" itself. within a few years most of Norfolks Urbanism was demolished. its actually pretty sad.

back on subject...i think it would be cool, its just way to much land between norfolk and va beach.

Holler!

Edited by Greekboy80

I do suggest to anyone who can get their hands on the "Norfolk" a pictorial books, reads them. you would be surprised about how norfolk looked back in the day. Norfolk was an awesome looking city.  i was truly amazed with what i saw. for some dumb reason int he late 50's,60's & 70's, Norfolk wanted to "de-urbanize" itself. within a few years most of Norfolks Urbanism was demolished. its actually pretty sad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk was caught up in an urban revitalization craze that swept the nation in the 50's-60's. In a very short time hugae amounts of many US cities were wiped out and replaced with things like the Cross-Bronx Expressway, the Norfolk Civic Center, etc. I think that Norfolk wanted to clean up the east half of Main Street which was a total dive (Navy bars) but then just went way overboard. Not only did they wipe out huge amounts of buildings and history, but entire streets were plowed under. Richmond and Olde Towne are two areas that escaped rather unscathed, so we are not at a total loss. It's just very sad that they had to go to such extremes.

At least when they redid East Ghent, it looked relatively decent and livable. The problem with downtown was that they tore everything down and for 30 years it was a few buildings here and there and tons of parking lots. It has taken many years to fix that mistake...

Yeah i seen pics of downtown a long time ago and there where alot of buildings and i always wondered what the heck happened to them. Very little of them still are around. It looked like a little NY. Trolleys in the streets people everywhere and lots of urban buildings. Man I hope it returns to that again.

Portsmouth is about belly up. They are completely broke and are having trouble paying city jobs. I don't think P-town could finance any buildings unless they joined with Norfolk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well in especially tight real estate situations the city money doesn't matter so much. Private investment makes buildings in those cases. Look at Jersey City and Hoboken. Poor, decrepid, etc., until some New Yorkers found real estate over there to be cheaper than Manhattan and closer to the financial district than much of Manhattan itself. Hopefully as Norfolk continues to grow and saturate, Portsmouth may become a very desirable location.

Well... the Marriot didn't pull out altogether. I'm not sure what their plans are, but even if they do go, that property is a hot one in a section of the oceanfront that's really starting to see some redevelopment promise. Maybe an even better chain will come along and snatch up the land? A Wyndham? An Embassy Suites? You never know what may come along next for Virginia Beach. It's always full of surprises. (my I'm optimistic tonight!) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel put on hold is kinda bad but i welcome it. I don't think they should oversaturate the high-end market on the oceanfront especially with the new Hilton just opening. The Marriott will come at the right time. I just wish they redesign the building. I love the design, but it looks almost exactly the same as the one in downtown San Diego. I don't want exact copies of buildings that already exist in other cities.

I thought the navy shot that down because of Oceana.... Man they can't make up their mind can they?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The navy did shoot it down, but then they came to an agreement with the navy. I may have been wrong then because i was looking at the site but it looked like it could have been part of a plan from a while ago.

Beach approves funds for towncenter/other projects

INSIDER NEWS

Beach authority approves $110 million in bonds

By Philip Newswanger

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday May 2, 2005

The Virginia Beach Economic Development Authority approved $110 million in bonds to finance 13 projects in the resort city over the next few years.

Among the major projects to be financed are the $206 million convention center, a $50 million theater at the Town Center and the purchase of land for open space at a cost of $51.8 million.

Among the smaller projects to be financed are the replacement of the city

I was gonna put this in the transportation thread, but since it deals directly with cityview i'll put it here instead.

Andrew Heatwole, a principal in Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc., has heard the same line. His firm is building CityView after putting the plans on hold pending the VDOT study of Constitution Drive and the subsequent Council action.

Vdogg, do you know when Cityview and Cornerstone are to start construction.. and also when Constitution is to be realigned with Bonney Road? I ought to start a spreadsheet with all these developments going on. I can't keep up with all of them. :D

Edited by guynvb