Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

^ I thought the city decided not to pursue the interchange at this point but to continue with the alignment of Constitution to Bonney.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think they can really make up their mind and alot of this is they don't have the money in the budget for this and just like Norfolk shooting down the arena due to money.

Edited by rusthebuss

I just spoke with a representative about the Cityview project and they have a green light to build it. Construction probably won't start until March of next year :wacko: but that will be phase 1 which I believe she said was a 600 unit apartment building. She did not say when phase 2 will be built but is mailing a package to me next week about this project. Constitution will be aligned to Bonney but that is the city's responsbility and she did not know when this would be completed as well. When I get my package next week I will scan and post for all to see. :)

That's a BIG apartment building.  How tall will this thing be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At first I was going to say "Probably not tall because of the new height ordinances", but if Westin is going to beat NOVA's building, then it's probably around 500+... so yeah. *throws the rules into the wind* who knows!? I'm optimistic (still) :D:D

At first I was going to say "Probably not tall because of the new height ordinances", but if Westin is going to beat NOVA's building, then it's probably around 500+... so yeah.  *throws the rules into the wind*  who knows!?  I'm optimistic (still)  :D  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he was talking about the 600 unit apartment building in city view, not the Westin.

I know... I was questioning whether or not VB would give a similar height "allowance" to a high rise in the City View development that they did for the TC Westin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The height limit is "supposedly" 200ft in that area of town which would support a 20 story builing. The Cosmo has 300 units and is a huge 14 story building. The cityview development claimed everything would be from 3 to 15 floors but with 600 unitis in one building thats doubtful. I think Va. Beach views its height regs more as a guideline than an absolute limit.

The height limit is "supposedly" 200ft in that area of town which would support a 20 story builing. The Cosmo has 300 units and is a huge 14 story building. The cityview development claimed everything would be from 3 to 15 floors but with 600 unitis in one building thats doubtful. I think Va. Beach views its height regs more as a guideline than an absolute limit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... Well, either way the Westin will break the guideline by about 100 feet or more hahaha. I'm inclined to think that the guidelines aren't so strict... so maybe 250 feet for City View isn't out of the question...

600 Units is just enormous for one building, regardless of height. Maybe two, 300 unit, 15 story buildings. That's feasible... and would actually create more of a "real" skyline for Virginia Beach. Hmm... Thoughts. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I just spoke with a representative about the Cityview project and they have a green light to build it. Construction probably won't start until March of next year  :wacko: but that will be phase 1 which I believe she said was a 600 unit apartment building. She did not say when phase 2 will be built but is mailing a package to me next week about this project. Constitution will be aligned to Bonney but that is the city's responsbility and she did not know when this would be completed as well. When I get my package next week I will scan and post for all to see.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Westin should be into it's steel phase by then and with construction of a possible cityview highrise starting by then as well this area is going to look awesome :thumbsup: . Also, if you talk to your rep again can they key us in on a website possibly? Are u thinking of making a move there?

The Westin should be into it's steel phase by then and with construction of a possible cityview highrise starting by then as well this area is going to look awesome  :thumbsup: . Also, if you talk to your rep again can they key us in on a website possibly? Are u thinking of making a move there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Performing Arts Center and the new block of retail/commercial will also be starting around that time. A TON of construction will be in full-swing by '06-'07. :D

Yeah...  Well, either way the Westin will break the guideline by about 100 feet or more hahaha.  I'm inclined to think that the guidelines aren't so strict... so maybe 250 feet for City View isn't out of the question...

600 Units is just enormous for one building, regardless of height.  Maybe two, 300 unit, 15 story buildings.  That's feasible... and would actually create more of a "real" skyline for Virginia Beach.  Hmm...  Thoughts.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the height regs for B4C mixed use (cityview district) were 200 and for TC was 400

but i think those have gone so far out the window that i'm gonna stop referring to the regs in my post.

Yeah, the height regs for B4C mixed use (cityview district) were 200 and for TC was 400 

but i think those have gone so far out the window that i'm gonna stop referring to the regs in my post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I'm not sure if they were even a set rule to begin with? But I don't care so long as they're ignored by VB :rofl:

my guess for 600 units that it would be a fat building.  Dont expect anything over 15 stories, but it will be a wide building.  Giving it some mass to the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The TCC building in Norfolk is enormous in volume, but not too terribly tall, so something of that scale perhaps? (actually... likely very similar if it is one tower).

The Westin should be into it's steel phase by then and with construction of a possible cityview highrise starting by then as well this area is going to look awesome  :thumbsup: . Also, if you talk to your rep again can they key us in on a website possibly? Are u thinking of making a move there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could have the number of units wrong as the rep was in a great hurry to rush off to a meeting. I would love to move any of these places (Westin especially) but for now I will continue to live at Columbus Station. The community is going through a 5 year upgrade plan and I am on the architectual committee. I can only see this place getting better year by year. :)

Also, passing by TC today that strange structure reported last week has turned into a tent with a stage under it. I am 99% certain this is for groundbreaking ceremonies next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not to be an antagonist, but i really hope the ground breaking is delayed for mid day on the 15th so i can get back from school and be there. Im sure it would be invite only, but i would love to just be in the area at the time.

Sara Straeten Reporting

Virginia Beach And The Navy Reach Agreement

May 11, 2005, 07:04 AM Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

Site Features

A Treaty Between Virginia Beach and Oceana

Tuesday night, Virginia Beach and the Navy finally reached an agreement on an issue they've been wrestling with for the past year.

"This is our retirement. This is all we had. It's our nest egg," said Alton Brenneman. Brenneman bought 200 acres off North Landing Road in Virginia Beach back in 1958. "We were going to have it developed to probably 190 to 200 houses back here," Brenneman said. "That's what we had planned."

But those plans are on hold. His property is located about six miles from Oceana in a noise zone. It's in one of the areas the Navy and the city have agreed to cut back on development. The Virginia Beach City Council voted to accept the Hampton Roads Joint Land Use Study at its meeting on Tuesday night.

It will put the brakes on the amount of development allowed near Oceana. The Navy said this will help provide a needed buffer for operations at Oceana and help keep homeowners safe. Brenneman said he fully supports Oceana but still has questions. "It's good for the whole city, Oceana is," Brenneman said. "Why should landowners down here in the transition area have to shoulder the burden for something that's good for the whole city?"

Rest of Story

Sara Straeten Reporting

Virginia Beach And The Navy Reach Agreement

May 11, 2005, 07:04 AM  Email to a Friend  Printer Friendly Version   

Site Features

A Treaty Between Virginia Beach and Oceana

Tuesday night, Virginia Beach and the Navy finally reached an agreement on an issue they've been wrestling with for the past year.

"This is our retirement. This is all we had. It's our nest egg," said Alton Brenneman. Brenneman bought 200 acres off North Landing Road in Virginia Beach back in 1958. "We were going to have it developed to probably 190 to 200 houses back here," Brenneman said. "That's what we had planned."

But those plans are on hold. His property is located about six miles from Oceana in a noise zone. It's in one of the areas the Navy and the city have agreed to cut back on development. The Virginia Beach City Council voted to accept the Hampton Roads Joint Land Use Study at its meeting on Tuesday night.

It will put the brakes on the amount of development allowed near Oceana. The Navy said this will help provide a needed buffer for operations at Oceana and help keep homeowners safe. Brenneman said he fully supports Oceana but still has questions. "It's good for the whole city, Oceana is," Brenneman said. "Why should landowners down here in the transition area have to shoulder the burden for something that's good for the whole city?"

Rest of Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, I guess this means less development in Va. Beach. Does this have any affect on TC?

So, I guess this means less development in Va. Beach. Does this have any affect on TC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not at all. I watched the council meeting last night. It only affects the areas immediately around Oceana and directly under the flight path.

Well, tomorrow is the big day for VB in the way of the announcement of the Westin and the Performing Arts Center. I wish I could be there but hopefully the press will cover the ceremony.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah me too. It really looks like the performing arts center will be taking center stage that day because that is the one actually starting construction. I'm certain the mayor will mention the Westin as well. I'm wondering if the Westin will also have its own, separate groundbreaking ceremony the day it starts construction or whether they're gonna do like the Trader Tower, drop a pile driver on us, and be done with it :D .