Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

No clue. I only know about when the leases are up. We should know more about the project before then though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thinking about it though, the 12 story building will not have to cover all of Pembroke 1-6. They will probably want to skim the "cream" clients off the top and just let the rest fend for themselves.

What happens to your mom vdogg? Is her office moving from Pembroke?

And speaking of that area, what's is up with the Pembroke Square complex? Is that nightmare slated to be bulldozed any time soon? I had some friends in college who lived over there in 98 and it was sketchy then. That would be a good area to build some higher density (3-5 floors) mixed-use housing being as it's all residential already.

Thinking about it though, the 12 story building will not have to cover all of Pembroke 1-6.  They will probably want to skim the "cream" clients off the top and just let the rest fend for themselves. 

What happens to your mom vdogg?  Is her office moving from Pembroke?

And speaking of that area, what's is up with the Pembroke Square complex?  Is that nightmare slated to be bulldozed any time soon?  I had some friends in college who lived over there in 98 and it was sketchy then.  That would be a good area to build some higher density (3-5 floors) mixed-use housing being as it's all residential already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that the community right there on the same street as the Pembroke buildings? If so it still seems to be sketchy lol.

Babs, have you heard by chance when City Walk might start construction?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I don't have a specific start date, I know this to be a relatively near term event. Divaris has been putting out feelers for tenant prospects, and the leasing sign has been up on the property for a few months now. I, for one, can't wait to see that HQ demolished! Details on the FX property are few and far between; however, I understand that they will be "on board" so to speak.

Thats great! Man so much activity going on.. these are exciting times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am just trying to soak it all in right now, for I know that there will come a day when things slow up a bit--perhaps as a result of continued Fed tightening of the money supply, etc. (ie...higher interest on construction loans) However, any local lull in development activity should be short-lived, for we continue to grow our job base, personal income and general economy faster than the national average.

Edited by baobabs727

I remember an article in the Pilot a couple years back that said the new owners of Pembroke Office Park were going to building a garage and shoe-horn a high-rise office onto the property. Didn't they also renovate the office park? So now they plan to tear down the offices piece-meal and replace them with high-rises as demand dictates?

As for Pembroke Mall, Sears owns the land that fronts Independence. They'll be a factor in whatever transpires especially with the guy who runs Kmart Holdings. I always imagined the mall except Sears and Kohls being torn down after TC is completed. The land would be broken into blocks like TC. Office towers would front the Blvd. Townhomes and midrise apts and condos would lie on the blocks towards Jeanie St. Store and restaurants would occupy the first floors of the offices and mid-rise condos. Between Sears and Kohls would be mixed-use 3-5 story buildings with stores on the first floor and offices and/or lofts above. Until other empty parcels are developed like Builder's Square and FX, Pembroke won't have the economic incentive for really ambitious plans.

If City Park/ Town Square goes through, Bed, Bath, & Beyond (if thier building is torn down) and Office Max would make great retail anchors.

I remember an article in the Pilot a couple years back that said the new owners of Pembroke Office Park were going to building a garage and shoe-horn a high-rise office onto the property.  Didn't they also renovate the office park?  So now they plan to tear down the offices piece-meal and replace them with high-rises as demand dictates?.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As i understand it, yes. Which to me is a much more sound business plan than just trying to do it all at once. Also, you seem very knowledgeable about this area, are you originally from here? Oh, and welcome to the forum, glad to have u aboard. :)

I remember an article in the Pilot a couple years back that said the new owners of Pembroke Office Park were going to building a garage and shoe-horn a high-rise office onto the property.  Didn't they also renovate the office park?  So now they plan to tear down the offices piece-meal and replace them with high-rises as demand dictates?

As for Pembroke Mall, Sears owns the land that fronts Independence.  They'll be a factor in whatever transpires especially with the guy who runs Kmart Holdings.  I always imagined the mall except Sears and Kohls being torn down after TC is completed.  The land would be broken into blocks like TC.  Office towers would front the Blvd.  Townhomes and midrise apts and condos would lie on the blocks towards Jeanie St.  Store and restaurants would occupy the first floors of the offices and mid-rise condos.  Between Sears and Kohls would be mixed-use 3-5 story buildings with stores on the first floor and offices and/or lofts above.  Until other empty parcels are developed like Builder's Square and FX, Pembroke won't have the economic incentive for really ambitious plans.

If City Park/ Town Square goes through, Bed, Bath, & Beyond (if thier building is torn down) and Office Max would make great retail anchors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's great having a former Va Beach resident to the forum. I really like your idea about the mall being mostly torn down but alas I doubt it would happen at this point since it was just renovated. I am not sure how long you have been gone but the renovation was completed about 6 mos ago I guess.

A night shot of the main entrance.

DSC01486.jpg

Photos of the renovation can be found here.

Although it is typical fast food fare I really like the new food court. It has very high quality seating including very small children's tables and the high tops which I am fond of.

redevphoto_food2.jpg

I remember an article in the Pilot a couple years back that said the new owners of Pembroke Office Park were going to building a garage and shoe-horn a high-rise office onto the property.  Didn't they also renovate the office park?  So now they plan to tear down the offices piece-meal and replace them with high-rises as demand dictates?

As for Pembroke Mall, Sears owns the land that fronts Independence.  They'll be a factor in whatever transpires especially with the guy who runs Kmart Holdings.  I always imagined the mall except Sears and Kohls being torn down after TC is completed.  The land would be broken into blocks like TC.  Office towers would front the Blvd.  Townhomes and midrise apts and condos would lie on the blocks towards Jeanie St.  Store and restaurants would occupy the first floors of the offices and mid-rise condos.  Between Sears and Kohls would be mixed-use 3-5 story buildings with stores on the first floor and offices and/or lofts above.  Until other empty parcels are developed like Builder's Square and FX, Pembroke won't have the economic incentive for really ambitious plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot to tell you about the retail component to this project. It's gonna be called pemborke retail center and will be built in conjuction with the offece building. Go to this post projects post and look at #'s 4 and 6 on the development map to see how they will be situated on the property.

I guess this will be retail on the ground level .. I need visualizations :rolleyes:

Looking at the scheme I can see that #6 will be the office tower but then if you look at #4 which is the retail that looks to be on the corner of Indy and the Blvd which is where a gas station is now .. unless its behind it or so. :unsure:

getimage1.jpg

Edited by guynvb