Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Who cares it generates tax dollars for the city, what's wrong with them kicking a little money to help the process.

Like I said, a LITTLE money, a little land, that's fine, but don't build them a huge $40 million parking garage. That's what they did for the Hilton, and the cost of the garage just kept growing and growing due to steel cost and construction in general. VB didn't have anything in writing to protect them if something like that happened, they just had to sit back and keep spending money. By comparison, the Trader Building will cost roughly $55 mill. for the entire building. Sure, Norfolk is spending $12 mill. to build a parking garage, but that garage will benefit the entire downtown as soon as it opens. Look, I'm not talking down the project, I would love to see the Hyatt and many, many more built at the ocean front. I just don't wanna see VB do like they have done in the past.

Like I said, a LITTLE money, a little land, that's fine, but don't build them a huge $40 million parking garage. That's what they did for the Hilton, and the cost of the garage just kept growing and growing due to steel cost and construction in general. VB didn't have anything in writing to protect them if something like that happened, they just had to sit back and keep spending money. By comparison, the Trader Building will cost roughly $55 mill. for the entire building. Sure, Norfolk is spending $12 mill. to build a parking garage, but that garage will benefit the entire downtown as soon as it opens. Look, I'm not talking down the project, I would love to see the Hyatt and many, many more built at the ocean front. I just don't wanna see VB do like they have done in the past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand but that was the cities fault for not looking for ways to self perserve itself against situations like that. Live and learn and if they go through with this they had better protect themselves against the same situation that could possibly arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Doubletree down at the beach has been bought and will be extensively renovated but one city official is doubtful it would even be enough to cater to convention goers. The city is caught in a quandry since it was told before building the convention center that probably no convention center hotel would be needed since there are so many around. But as of now 72 convention planners have declined to book conventions here because there is no adjoining hotel. Any ideas on what they should they do .. if anything that is. :huh:

Article

Edited by guynvb

The cost problem with the Hilton was the garage. The proposed Marriott was held by negotiations concerning the 9th St garage. A convention center hotel is intended to serve conventioneers who probably are arriving by either airport taxi/limo/shuttle or bus. So parking shouldn't be too much of an issue. The city wants to preserve the land south of PavRedux for expansion. Why not layout that parcel for expansion? That is, decide from now what is needed for a building. Then carve up the remaining land for a hotel and a parking garage. The garage can be build later as part of the expansion. Surface parking should be sufficient for now even with a hotel. Then negotiate the transfer of land to the hotel. That would be the only public portion of it. The infrastructure has already been improved as part of PavRedux. A garage will be needed when the expansion is done. So now they'll just need a taller garage. And voila, you have a Hyatt at minimal public cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to Pembroke Mall about a week ago asking if they are considering a Target for the mall but of course they have not responded. Since they have not responded I am thinking... yeah.. uh huh..  :rolleyes:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

just want other options besides the Big K. I mean its ok but..... Target is much better. Maybe somebody with the inside scoop is reading this now and will be a friend to all forumers.. and.. um.. let .. us... know..  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My source just laughed when I asked him about this the other day. They are desperate to get a piece of the CBD action, for the demographics are absolutely first-rate. In essence, he said that Wal-Mart and Target have been fishing around the CBD for quite a long while, with Wal-Mart having offered one landowning group some pretty impressive sums of money for one parcel (which shall remain nameless). Suffice it to say that this particular parcel is well spoken for.

My source just laughed when I asked him about this the other day.  They are desperate to get a piece of the CBD action, for the demographics are absolutely first-rate. In essence, he said that Wal-Mart and Target have been fishing around the CBD for quite a long while, with Wal-Mart having offered one landowning group some pretty impressive sums of money for one parcel (which shall remain nameless). Suffice it to say that this particular parcel is well spoken for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God I hope Walmart doesn't plunk a big box right down in the middle of the CBD. You can pretty much just throw urban development in the pembroke area out the window if thats the case. <_<

God I hope Walmart doesn't plunk a big box right down in the middle of the CBD. You can pretty much just throw urban develpopment in the pembroke area out the window if thats the case.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think we will have to worry 'bout that as long as the "right people" are in control there.

I heard Walmart was the one who would pay big bucks to build where the TC is now. Imagine a huge Walmart with a mega big parking lot instead of the TC!! I can't even bear to think of it!  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could and just think about that could have been more high rises in dt Norfolk! lol

I heard Walmart was the one who would pay big bucks to build where the TC is now. Imagine a huge Walmart with a mega big parking lot instead of the TC!! I can't even bear to think of it!  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I recall. That was after the original bid for a TC failed, a completely privately-financed one. Then after the city rescued the site, I heard rumors of Wal-mart or Target eyeing the old Builders' Square/HQ store and making it a 2-story building. Oh, the fun with rumors.

Welcome to the forum. Wonder when it will be ready. The site is not loading on my end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All it does is give you a tease of what the site home page will look like, then transitions to an info page describing TC, listing the stores & restaurants there, and providing links to the parties involved. Basically, AH/Divaris is finally making the switch from construction/project website to mall/info site.