Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

thanks vdogg...been checkin out these posts for months...dont know why i didnt bother to sign up earlier. Props to you guys for creating noise at the VA Pilot the other day and over this Granby Tower issue. Nothing like hometown boosters to make some waves! :thumbsup:

Also in today's Pilot - The city council voted to spend $880,000 for 3 acres of land to make way for a possible expansion of I264. The council also agreed to also enter into a 3 year option to buy a 7 acre parcel of land for a proposed interstate overpass. No funding has been approved for the project as of yet and the overpass project could cost upwards of $100 million dollars and is probably many years away.

This is good news especially b/c of all of the development in the Pembroke area. I am glad that the city is looking ahead.

That is great. You know I was reading in another forum where a NYC firm bought a tract of land for redevelopment - I think in Raleigh. It would be great to see some out of town developers come in and buy some not-so-great strip centers as such and redevelop as nice urbanish quality development. One strip center comes to mind is the Kmart center in Pembroke. I have noticed more and more of them are buying apartment complexes as much which is great but hopefully they will start buying more commercial property as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I think people that grow up here have it in their head that if they want to make money they have to leave. So the people that are educated do not come back to this region. We would have to make some serious changes to attract our people back here and there would have to be some major jobs that have very nice salaries for them to come back here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true, in a way. I guess it depends on what kind of work you do. Tech jobs around here pay a lot less than say Raleigh or the Nova area. But I do think we can begin to attract these kinds of jobs and they could draw people to the area and hopefully the locals with see what is available and obtain higher education to be employed at such jobs.

I think people that grow up here have it in their head that if they want to make money they have to leave. So the people that are educated do not come back to this region. We would have to make some serious changes to attract our people back here and there would have to be some major jobs that have very nice salaries for them to come back here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd definitely agree with that. I graduated college in '99 in Computer Science. And frankly there just wasn't anything in HR I was interested in. Absolutely every tech job in the area that I looked into was some sort of military contract thing. I wanted to be in the private sector, not military related. Personal thing, but I think being a Navy brat contributed to that. I think that when kids go off to college and then come to job hunting time, if take the region of all of VA and even NC into account the availibility of well paying jobs in other areas such as NoVa or the Triangle is just overwhelmingly greater than HR.

And that whole bit in the article about people are willing to take less pay just cause they like the area, I'm not so sure I buy that. I think it's certainly a factor sure, but I think the bigger factor was that cost of living is pretty darned good in HR compared to other places. Housing prices rising might have wiped out that advantage a little though.

if there was a good architecture program to go to in VB I probably would of never moved away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think with the more urban this area gets the more these jobs will come and the level of education will rise. Urbanization is the key for this success.

Edited by rusthebuss

That's why alot of people leave is due to the lack of urban feeling for this area but that is really in the works to be changed. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is actually a lot of interesting literature on this topic. Richard FLorida is the guru on this kind of stuff, he wrote "The Rise of the Creative Class" and a bunch of other stuff on why cities lose and gain young educated people.

His web site also has his ranking of all american cities with repsect to the creative class citizens.

Richard Florida city rankings

I posted the article right above you. :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but you posted it in the Towncenter thread. I just moved it over here. I may merge the two post. I've never tried to use the merge feature on post before so we'll see how this works out.

Lol. Well that was an interesting effect. It gave me the option of putting you or guynvb as the original author of the post so i chose you since you posted it

first. I just found this split topic button down in my mod panel too. I want to try it but it looks dangerous :lol: