Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Does anyone know if the city is going to still revitilize the area just east of the new convention center? There are some properties right beside it that really look like blight. That does not bode well for the center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not likely with them trying so hard to retain the Navy. The navys new guidelines really kill development in that area. Too bad too, cause those were really nice renderings. :(

Just acrosss the street from the center (walking from the center towards the beach) is really some of the worst looking apartments I have seen. They all but look like shacks. I do hope they can at least acquire this property and tear those down. Imagine convention goers having to see those. :o. The Pilot said one person asked if we had a crime problem and I am wondering if they saw those.

• 2 weeks later...

"Phase One will consist of 3 luxury apartments buildings housing 200 residential units. Apartments will be offered in 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom configurations as well as loft-style units. The development will feature club and pool facilities, extensive pedestrian trails, and open spaces as well as views of the water (gotta have height for that :) ). Residents will be serviced by a 300 space parking structure as well as additional underground and surface parking.

Phase Two will create an adjacent 12-acre mixed-use development featuring office and retail and will extend the location

"Phase One will consist of 3 luxury apartments buildings housing 200 residential units. Apartments will be offered in 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom configurations as well as loft-style units. The development will feature club and pool facilities, extensive pedestrian trails, and open spaces as well as views of the water (gotta have height for that  :) ). Residents will be serviced by a 300 space parking structure as well as additional underground and surface parking.

Phase Two will create an adjacent 12-acre mixed-use development featuring office and retail and will extend the location

I like the look. It would look awesome with snow on it. Just curious, how many acres is TC? Because 12 doesn't seem like that much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

12 is the 2nd phase of this project, not the whole thing. Not entirely sure how many acres the first phase is. Also not sure how many total acres Towncenter is.

I know it is the second phase, but do you really think it would have more office space and stuff than TC itself?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More office space? Not a chance. It will likely have more residential and retail however, and may indeed end up with an equivalent amount of hotel space at build out.

hey vdogg, wouldn't City View be under the Town Center topic? It is right next to, and connected to Town Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, because it is an entirely different project. The only project being discussed in Towncenter is the actual physical town center itself, not the spin offs. When the City Walk project starts it will be put under Virginia Beach development as well. Eventually, both City View and City Walk will have their own threads.

Has anyone noticed the signs for "Flats" and "Lofts" along the area just south of Laskin, bordering the Harris Teeter property along both the east and west sides of Baltic Ave? Looks exciting, but I couldn't stop to see if there was a web site listed on the signs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly I haven't been around there in a while. I'd be cautious about getting excited over any development in that area with this BRAC issue looming. They may very well scrap that project if they're in an AICUZ area.

Honestly I haven't been around there in a while. I'd be cautious about getting excited over any development in that area with this BRAC issue looming. They may very well scrap that project if they're in an AICUZ area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is the damn shame cause if they do take the land and then Oceana leaves i think there might be some kind of riots and the council might want to think about that before they make rash decisions. Its the cities fault for ignoring the navy on the encroachment and its the navy's fault for not buying the buffer zone so that encroachment wasn't issue!