Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Honestly I haven't been around there in a while. I'd be cautious about getting excited over any development in that area with this BRAC issue looming. They may very well scrap that project if they're in an AICUZ area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're definitely outside APZ1. The western portion may touch APZ2. However, it looks like the property is mainly in the 75 dB zone.

Anyone know what the new development at the corner of S. Plaza Trl, and S. Independence is going to be? When I went past it months ago, I just assumed it was more single family homes squeezed in. But I went past there this weekend, and there was what looked like a pile driving, or maybe a well drilling truck or something like that. Wouldn't have given the construction a second glance if I hadn't noticed that truck out there.

The article for this project came out actually a couple of years ago but I believe it is a housing development to be built out something like Town Square right behind the KMart on Holland.  I can't recall but it may or may not include some mixed use development as well. It definitely is a huge development though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I need to check it out. I didn't even realize this development was even going on! :w00t:

The article for this project came out actually a couple of years ago but I believe it is a housing development to be built out something like Town Square right behind the KMart on Holland.  I can't recall but it may or may not include some mixed use development as well. It definitely is a huge development though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya, I figured it was something like that. More homes squeezed in nice and tight. Would be nice if it was some kinda mixed use at least. Would make sense to have something useful along that stretch of S. Independence, but wouldn't surprise me if it's not. Oh well.

cool...Virginia really must have a thing for organ donation entities...

UNOS is based in Richmond

very cool to see a new headquarters facility in Virginia Beach.... hope its the first of many!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I'm on the anti-terrorist squad and I'm taking you down for hi-jacking the vabeach thread! j/k :rofl::thumbsup::wacko:

come on rus... this high-jacking was legitimate. not only was I saying that it was great for va beach, I was saying it was a trend across the state.... I even wished good luck for future headquarters.... it was a non-violent, Gandhi kind of hijacking :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^^Vabeach Development not Richmond! :rofl: :rofl:It's ok we all just come over to the Richmond thread and show you guys ours! :rofl: I'm just trying to get your goat!

Edited by rusthebuss

you guys do talk about norfolk stuff in the beach forum and beach stuff in the norfolk forum..... I think it's cuz I'm Richmond! haha j/k What if I just said.. "in this other place ......." instead of the R word when comparing Beach developments to other events around the state? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well we are in the same metro and things are affected by each others moves. Richmond doesn't contribute to the HR metro area so thats why we comment back and forth cause its the same area and dude I'm playing with you don't take it to serious it was meant as a joke

So I guess that answers our questions about what happens to the 19th street corridor plans in general.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would hope the city works with existing land owners by offering tax incentives to redevelop their properties and provide an additional easement for sidewalks. The city can set-up a new zoning code if one doesn't exist already for beach mixed-use. I would think that by offering these incentives, some owners would redevelop, others would sell, and still some more would do nothing. In any event, most if not all owners would take a tax break in return for granting a sidewalk easement. The increased property values through either redevelopment or market demand would offset the tax breaks.

Amazing how the military is reaching its issues into so much fabric of the area. I mean ya have to have sidewalks leading to the Oceanfront. But has anything seen those apartments right across from the Center? I do hope they intend to buy that property and tear them down.. and pronto.

I don't see why the Navy would, logically, object to developing 19th Street. This is an area that was developed initially decades ago and has lived with jet noise for decades. It's a built-out area and growth should be encouraged in it. If it's not in a crash zone, and prospective buyers/investors are made aware of the noise situation and make a conscious decision to invest anyway, it's perfectly legit, IMO. This isn't new developments on greenfields encroaching on Oceana, it's improving an already developed district.

Well, i guess jet noise probably will have to take some getting used to. Noise of all sorts is just part of city living, whether good or bad. I can remeber just last year all the noise that i heard in NY, NY was not to bad, but when i spent the night over some friends of mine houses i really experienced noise from the city limits at its finest. No, it was not emergency sirens or even horns from traffic jams, but of the subway traveling right over the house that i was sleeping in and i was sleeping in the basement. Man, everytime i heard a train roaring above me i woke up and was like man what was that, but as the night progressed i guess i got more accustomed to it and it did not bother me as much. Although i had a noisy night it did not dampen my visit to NY,NY. (beep, beep and vroom, vroom, and clickity crank :wacko: )

I really hope they don't try to buy all of those peoples houses cause it would be a betrail to its people for its mistakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would hope the city would accomodate them and help them to relocate. I not at all for uprooting people and such but spending the millions they have done so only to have these kinds of places just across the street is not good business sense imo.

I would hope the city would accomodate them and help them to relocate. I not at all for uprooting people and such but spending the millions they have done so only to have these kinds of places just across the street is not good business sense imo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally don't think they should move them at all! They allowed them to be there so leave it be. Oceana is going to have to move regardless in a decade or so, so leave those tax paying citizens alone and let the base leave. :(

I personally don't think they should move them at all! They allowed them to be there so leave it be. Oceana is going to have to move regardless in a decade or so, so leave those tax paying citizens alone and let the base leave. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think guynvb is referring to the rundown housing and businesses along 19th St near the Convention Center not the properties within APZ1. VB has had too many possible condemnation stories in the Pilot recently.

After looking at the BRAC report, if VB complies, it couldn't allow new development along the rundown portion of 19th St (as it is within the 70 dB zone) that does not comply with the AICUZ guidelines. The argument on 19th St and any other major development in southern VB is a critical part of the city's decision to accept or reject BRAC requirements. For now though, 19th St is a moot point until Oceana is sorted out.

Edited by hoobo

I doubt this is or will become a "major" development in vabeach, but I figured I would pass on the news anyway...I just received an email from home letting me know that the Tugwell house (an old plantation home, who's grounds was developed for my neighborhood, Wesleyan Chase) has just been sold to make way for a gated, high-end condominium development. I mention this, because currently there's another gated community under construction just down the road from there, next to Bayside Highschool. I'm hoping these new neighborhoods will help clean up that area, such as places like "Mattress Discounters Plaza" which is little more than an eyesore.

i'm a little sad to see this great house be torn down, but you know...progress.