Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

In my personal opinion i would rather have the Hyatt near the convention center than the Sun Rise Development proposal. I'm hoping we get a good mix of the three. Hotel with Monorail service at the dome site. Hyatt at the convention center site, and a mix of what the Sun Rise Developers propose elsewhere.

I agree with you... I think a mix would be the best thing. In fact, if Sun Rise does anything, it should be limited to the golf course and allow someone else to develope the loop site.

I'm all for Sun Rise. If it ever works out. It's the most progressive development taking Va Beach in the right direction. Hyatt will be just another hotel. Va Beach will end up being a resort of low rise stumpy buildings. Not that higher is always better but look what Westin is doing for TC and they only have two "high rise" buildings. Its already an icon of TC.

While I wish for a tall building, bc of the navy's restrictions I doubt we will see anything any higher than the Doubletree which is 12 stories.

Unfortunetly I have to agree with Guy on this one! The pentagon has full intentions of moving the master jet base for political reasons. It all came up when Jeb Bush wanted to push to get them down in Jacksonville. Let the navy leave and look to the future! This region has so much potential that goes down the crapper because of poor decision making of the morons in the all of the city councils around here! :angry:

I wish Virginia's largest city wasn't in the path of a master jet base.Virginia Beach would probably resemble Charlotte if it weren't for Oceana.I realize the importance of keeping Oceana at the beach because of the economic impact it has on the city.I think the navy is looking for a less populated place to relocate the base.and when they find it they will leave this area.

The Navy really and truly does not want to leave Oceana, and they have said so on numerous occasions. They love the quality of life here, the schools, the resort, and the relatively affordable lifestyle this area offers. That is why they have fought so hard (albeit not consistently) to keep non-conforming development at bay. If the Super Hornets weren't so screechy, the controversy might have been more subdued. Nonetheless, a Master Jet base would be pretty low on most lists of economic development options.

The Navy really and truly does not want to leave Oceana, and they have said so on numerous occasions. They love the quality of life here, the schools, the resort, and the relatively affordable lifestyle this area offers. That is why they have fought so hard (albeit not consistently) to keep non-conforming development at bay. If the Super Hornets weren't so screechy, the controversy might have been more subdued. Nonetheless, a Master Jet base would be pretty low on most lists of economic development options.

Its not the Navy its the pentagon that wants to move it

Its not the Navy its the pentagon that wants to move it

please explain this. Since the Navy occupies roughly one fourth of the Pentagon office building, what are you talking about? Is the Air Force or the Army that want to move it? Or the Office of the Secretary of Defense (only possible choices when you say "the pentagon")? One small problem -- US Code Title 10 gives the responsibility to "organize, train, and equip" all forces to the Services -- not OSD. That Title 10 responsibility includes building and maintaining infrastructure -- i.e., air bases. The Navy is not about to take budget dollars away from paying sailors, steaming ships, or buying airplanes to build a new base -- and it is only their dollars that can do that (OSD basically has no money -- believe it or not).

Like I said -- please explain how "the pentagon" will move Oceana.

I have an economics question.

With more potential high dollar, up-scale development on our horizon bringing in more people and wealthier people, would that raise property taxes and cost of living and possibly tax us middle-classers out of the city?

I'm just think about all side of the little Dubai developments.

Absolutely nothing exciting on the planning commission dockets for the next 2 months. The only thing of interest is that Mr. Sifen is developing yet another strip mall (Joy of Joys! :rolleyes: ) to be located at the corner of N. Lynnhaven road and Virginia Beach blvd. Judging by the design of this one, I fear for what he may put next to town center. <_<

Why would we want billoins of dollars invested in this city when you could build a thousand more strip malls and get the same effect! What VB lacks at Town Center is a Cracker Barrel and a Dollar General! Lets get cracking people, this is what the residents crave.

Why would we want billoins of dollars invested in this city when you could build a thousand more strip malls and get the same effect! What VB lacks at Town Center is a Cracker Barrel and a Dollar General! Lets get cracking people, this is what the residents crave.

:lol: It is unfortunate though that many VB residents really do crave all that. But there is also a large number of people who like the developments in the area and endorse the idea of urbanization. I hope the latter group wins out in the end.

Absolutely nothing exciting on the planning commission dockets for the next 2 months. The only thing of interest is that Mr. Sifen is developing yet another strip mall (Joy of Joys! :rolleyes: ) to be located at the corner of N. Lynnhaven road and Virginia Beach blvd. Judging by the design of this one, I fear for what he may put next to town center. <_<

This is where you need city council to step in and say "no", we don't approve your design and it doesn't fit in with the overall master plan. Just like the idiot in Norfolk who bought a prime downtown lot only to use it as over flow parking for his future "red roof inn" hotel.

• 1 month later...

I noticed just now passing Suntrust Bank on the Blvd near TC that the windows are boarded up and there is a chainlink fence around the perimeter. There is a backhoe also on the lot. They looked to be open today but looks like demolition could begin soon. I am really hoping for that pedesterian bridge that will link TC to be included in the new construction.

Edited by urbanvb

Not sure exactly where this should be..

Need for convention hotel at Beach to be analyzed

The city has asked a consultant to analyze the need for a headquarters hotel for the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

Hunter Interests Inc. of Annapolis, Md., was already working on a report on potential uses for Rudee Loop, the former Dome site and city-owned land on Birdneck Road.