Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

dope! I've always wondered what they planned for that large amount of space. It's been empty for awhile now. Hopefully they'll finish connecting Lynnhaven Parkway so that it'll be one smooth drive from Centerville to the Lynnhaven area annnd hopefully they plan on having some high rises in the mix use development.

While there is already a mixed use development planned for the corner of Centerville turnpike and Lynnhaven road the final stretch of the road won't be connected all the way through until 2013. :(

I just found out when visiting my mom's house that they finally extended Volvo all the way through which was pretty sweet sans the C-peake cop sitting behind the bush trying to pull people over. But anyways we've been wishing for Lynnhaven to be completed since 92 when my parents moved into that home, maybe my kid's kids will roam that extension one day :whistling:

Yea... they opened it up about a couple weeks ago. It really cuts the time from the Centerville area going to Greenbrier in half. The only thing that bothers me is that the light is red for the turn lanes on Centerville. I think it would of been better if they allowed folks to make a turn if the other side is clear. And it sucks that the other side won't be connected until 2013. I won't be here anymore. Womp womp womp.

Does anyone have a rendering of the future of town center? Or basically how the city see's the town center skyline in the future?

Yea... they opened it up about a couple weeks ago. It really cuts the time from the Centerville area going to Greenbrier in half. The only thing that bothers me is that the light is red for the turn lanes on Centerville. I think it would of been better if they allowed folks to make a turn if the other side is clear. And it sucks that the other side won't be connected until 2013. I won't be here anymore. Womp womp womp.

Does anyone have a rendering of the future of town center? Or basically how the city see's the town center skyline in the future?

vbmasterplan.jpg

wow.jpg

From this thread

Of course, the orientation has changed a bit but Va. Beach has far more planned for the CBD than just the blocks that TC currently sits on.

This is random, but you all might be interested in this website. You can type in any city and find info. on old, existing and new buildings in any city. Some info. are not up to date but it's a cool website.

http://www.emporis.com/en/

vbmasterplan.jpg

wow.jpg

From this thread

Of course, the orientation has changed a bit but Va. Beach has far more planned for the CBD than just the blocks that TC currently sits on.

Oh yea, I've seen those renderings before, I was just seeing if the City has put out new ones that include how Town Center looks now and in the future? I'm not sure if I'm making sense haha but yea thats what I was wondering.

This is random, but you all might be interested in this website. You can type in any city and find info. on old, existing and new buildings in any city. Some info. are not up to date but it's a cool website.

http://www.emporis.com/en/

Oh yea, I've seen those renderings before, I was just seeing if the City has put out new ones that include how Town Center looks now and in the future? I'm not sure if I'm making sense haha but yea thats what I was wondering.

I'm not aware of any new renderings or plans to date.

A tongue in cheek (albeit negative tongue in cheek) view of Virginia Beach development.

On a positive note, I kind of like the idea of a 40 story circular building with a gigantic outdoor courtyard. Could make for great architecture. Amist all the sarcasm, I think he stumbled on a relatively good idea there.

On a positive note, I kind of like the idea of a 40 story circular building with a gigantic outdoor courtyard. Could make for great architecture. Amist all the sarcasm, I think he stumbled on a relatively good idea there.

There is a 52 story round building in Johannesburg, South Africa that has a hollow center. I read somewhere that it had to do with each room needing light. Anyway it is called the "Ponte" but is in an area called Hillbrow that is now a slum. Too bad, it would be cool if the area was nice. Here's a link: http://www.joburg.org.za/2003/dec/dec24_ponte.stm

And you thought that was tongue in cheek....

be sure to read the whole thing

Under the Boardwalk

Five tips to pitching your development proposal to City Council:

1. Make it controversial

2. Ask the taxpayers to pay for part of the project

3. Round-up some unexpected allies

The Navy, for example, definitely carries some cache.

Sessoms and Wood said they gained the Navy

Edited by spiker3

Beach marina developer wants to go residential

The Marina at Marina Shores, which opened to great fanfare in 1991 and was lauded as one of the most modern facilities on the East Coast, may soon be history. Gale Higgs, who owns the marina off Great Neck Road, has submitted plans to the city to build 332 apartments on the 9.2 acres.

Higgs wants to tear down the two restaurants on the property and a storage building that houses about 400 boats. The 190 wet-boat slips would remain.

"I'm actually pretty excited about it," Higgs said. "I think it's a major improvement."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 2 years little progress on beach sports complex

The sign planted in a patch of dirt off Baker Road, just west of Diamond Springs Road and north of Northampton Boulevard, still offers promise: Coming Soon Sports Complex. Yet, for nearly two years, spotty grass and weeds have covered much of the 15 acres where a $16 million professional sports training center has been proposed to be built.

Known as DLH Sports Complex, the almost 150,000-square-foot center has been touted as a training ground for the area's most promising athletes, serving as a springboard to their professional careers. As proposed, it would feature indoor and outdoor football fields, indoor basketball courts, an Olympic-size track and a swimming pool.

With other pressing items at hand including a possible convention center hotel I hope the city will decide against this, at least for the time being. They should devote more funds to lure better paying jobs instead of siphoning money away where they will probably never see a return.

Beach council wary of proposed indoor sports complex

VIRGINIA BEACH - The latest proposal to turn the outdoors around the Virginia Beach Sportsplex into an athletic village is an indoor sports venue complete with a six-court gymnasium, therapy pool and jogging track.

The grand vision also comes with an estimated price tag of $32 million, leading City Council members to balk at the plan before it's even presented to them. A report on the concept is scheduled for Tuesday's council meeting.

Edited by urbanvb

With other pressing items at hand including a possible convention center hotel I hope the city will decide against this, at least for the time being. They should devote more funds to lure better paying jobs instead of siphoning money away where they will probably never see a return.

Beach council wary of proposed indoor sports complex

VIRGINIA BEACH - The latest proposal to turn the outdoors around the Virginia Beach Sportsplex into an athletic village is an indoor sports venue complete with a six-court gymnasium, therapy pool and jogging track.

The grand vision also comes with an estimated price tag of $32 million, leading City Council members to balk at the plan before it's even presented to them. A report on the concept is scheduled for Tuesday's council meeting.

How many sportsplexes do we need? DHL hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. I really don't see any need to be throwing money after this endeavour right now. At the risk of sounding like a pilot poster, I do think it would be prudent for them to focus on doing something about the tax rate for the time being. I don't think just not doing an assesment for a year is going to cut it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

City balks at 9.8 mil for convention hotel

Shah said he would like to partner with a "high-end developer" to turn the 2.57-acre site into a hotel and condominium building patterned after the Westin Hotel & Residences under construction in Town Center. Shah envisions a property of 15 to 20 stories.

"Can it be like a Westin deal?" he asked rhetorically. "The answer is yes. I'm just trying to knock the door."

• 1 month later...