Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Looking good. Hopefully those buildings are not all 2 -3 stories. I especially like the idea of a marina district. The pics remind me of Bmores inner harbor.

I also find it funny that by 8 AM, there were about 10 negative comments already. This is followed by an astute observation by one of the readers, however, that they seem automated and nonspecific. Its as if there are people who just cut and past their negative, anti-development posts to any article that is written.

I wouldn't mind everything being 2-3 stories as long as the whole strip becomes walkable and vibrant. My only complaint is that nothing was stated about the city trying to open up the ocean to all the streets. There are still too many hotels blocking the ocean as you drive down the streets.

Deal closed on land for 23 acre mixed use development

A developer has closed on a deal to buy 23 acres of land on Greenwich Road, with an eye toward building a mixed-use complex of offices, apartments and a hotel.

Well, it looks like this is moving forward. The amount of land is about the size of TC too. I'm a bit leery though, considering this is being done by Harmony Hospitality. They are not known for their quality *cough* doubletree *cough*

Burgess & Niple Inc. Leases 11,561-Square-Feet in Virginia Beach's Convergence Center I

"Established in 1912, Burgess & Niple assess, plan, design and build the infrastructures that allow communities to grow and prosper. "

http://www.divaris.com/newsreleases/office...gencecenter.htm

That's a heck of an upgrade from their current office size. I worked in contact with them while working on the VB jail project for a couple years, & from visits I made to their office, I don't think their present location even exceeds a couple thousand square feet. Very positive note to see an A&E expanding, must be money out there somewhere, anyone know any other buildings they designed in the area?

I was driving down 264 today coming from the oceanfront, and saw a pile driver standing in place on the north side of 264, directly north of mt. trashmore. It was just to the east of the 3 office buildings that all look the same (the Skanska, onlinetrader ones), in the cityview area, right at the end of Bendix road it looked like.

Anyone know what it might be there for? A new office building going in or ?

Edited by Alpine757

I was driving down 264 today coming from the oceanfront, and saw a pile driver standing in place on the north side of 264, directly north of mt. trashmore. It was just to the east of the 3 office buildings that all look the same (the Skanska, onlinetrader ones), in the cityview area, right at the end of Bendix road it looked like.

Anyone know what it might be there for? A new office building going in or ?

I would imagine that to be another office building; I was down in VB for the last two days and saw that myself... That location must be doing very well!

I would imagine that to be another office building; I was down in VB for the last two days and saw that myself... That location must be doing very well!

Actually, the office building is going to front Bonney, right across from the largest of the cityview builings. Not sure what the one by the freeway is. It may be another office building but i'm leaning towards parking garage. The building fronting Bonney will be the second one they've built in 2 years but they haven't added additional parking yet. Whichever it is, they are obviously doing quite well. I need to see if I can find any articles on this.

Yeah, this is Convergence center IV, which fronts Bonney. No mention on their site about a 5th building so that is probably a garage of some sort.

CCIV006.jpg

that is definitely not architecture.

Well, I think it does look like a nice building. Sure it could be better; they always can be. But it fits in with the rest of the area. Leave the height for Pembroke itself, I am fine with these shorter ones this far away... They don't look bad. Parking should be below them though.

Well, I think it does look like a nice building. Sure it could be better; they always can be. But it fits in with the rest of the area. Leave the height for Pembroke itself, I am fine with these shorter ones this far away... They don't look bad. Parking should be below them though.

I was just making a statement, I wasnt saying it was bad. It is a building, not architecture. There is a huge difference. This meets all the pragmatic needs of the developer. An architecture firm basically took the typical office park building layout and design, pasted in materials, copied detail workings, and called it a day.

This is why I really want to see the old HQ site redeveloped my Mulvanny because that would be architecture. The performing arts center is also architecture.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the office building is going to front Bonney, right across from the largest of the cityview builings. Not sure what the one by the freeway is. It may be another office building but i'm leaning towards parking garage. The building fronting Bonney will be the second one they've built in 2 years but they haven't added additional parking yet. Whichever it is, they are obviously doing quite well. I need to see if I can find any articles on this.

Yeah, this is Convergence center IV, which fronts Bonney. No mention on their site about a 5th building so that is probably a garage of some sort.

CCIV006.jpg

The land that was cleared closest to Bonney was just an extension of the surface lot. This builiding is indeed the one that you can see under construction from the freeway.

• 2 weeks later...

Rendering of Virginia Aquarium Pedestrian Bridge. Pretty cool! Dated Wednesday April 2nd, 2008

http://www.aeccommunications.com/cms/wp-co...08/04/vam1a.jpg

From this site... http://www.aeccommunications.com/

Also shown in the "Portfolio" link -

http://www.aeccommunications.com/?p=46

http://www.aeccommunications.com/?p=32

where will that be and why? it looks like the one they want in Pembroke... well, at least the arch part of it.

where will that be and why? it looks like the one they want in Pembroke... well, at least the arch part of it.
Looks from the rendering that it's for pedestrians crossing from the large parking lot on the east side of General Booth to the main aquarium entrance. Maybe has something to do with the renovation they've been doing for the past year or so, perhaps replacing the existing parking lot after construction vehicles have torn in up?

• 1 month later...

wow, I like these two proposals.

I think Armada Hoffler's rendering blows the Dallas groups rendering out of the water. A little competition and they really pull something good out of their hat. Too bad we didn't have any competition for them at town center. I love town center and all, but it could look a lot better had Armada hoffler had someone putting up a fight with them for the job. I do hope they get picked for this one. From the renderings, they are definitely working for it. Hopefully more will come out for both projects.

I think Armada Hoffler's rendering blows the Dallas groups rendering out of the water. A little competition and they really pull something good out of their hat. Too bad we didn't have any competition for them at town center. I love town center and all, but it could look a lot better had Armada hoffler had someone putting up a fight with them for the job. I do hope they get picked for this one. From the renderings, they are definitely working for it. Hopefully more will come out for both projects.

I dont think either blows either out of the water, but they are definitely lights years beyond the current level of architecture in the area right now. While i personally favor the AH proposal as well, i think if we had to 'settle' for the Hyatt it would still be a coup for the city. It's great to see the level of competition make both companies put the best on the table. Virginia Beach will win either way ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I am new here and I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but I saw that the Lynnhaven Mall AMC is getting IMAX! Hope I am posting this in the right thread. There is a banner on the building right above the entrance. I wonder if they are going to add on or if they are going to convert an already exsisting theatre.

• 7 months later...

I was just in town center today during a business meeting. We had a guy there at our lunchen talk about promoting a major brand name known Hardrock Cafe and Hotel.. He wants to develop the HQ building site into a 28 story Hardrock Hotel and Cafe with future plans of a elevated lighrail station inside the hotel to drop off guests. I guess similar to the one in Vegas with a Monorail station inside the hotel. The hotel will be 5 stars of course with a lake and fountain in the middle. retail/shops, restraunts on the bottom floors like hilton at the va beach oceanfront.. I will find out more information. But they are in neogiations with getting the land from sifen..I will keep you guys updated.

The hotel will be 5 stars of course with a lake and fountain in the middle. retail/shops, restraunts on the bottom floors like hilton at the va beach oceanfront.

Ok, i'm sorry, but this is just plain ridiculous :lol:. I have a hard time believing that this 5 star hotel, with lake no less, will be going across from our barely 4-star hotel right across the street. I'm skeptical Harry, especially considering some of your most recent claims. I'm not going to say it is totally impossible, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You need to provide us with a bit more information...

Harry why do you keep doing this..? I'm not saying that a 28 story Hard Rock Cafe is not possible for Va Beach, I really think they deserve it. I think it'd be a great asset to the city and is very viable because the Beach has like the 13th most tourists per year in the country. But in this economic climate, with nothing from the local news, or any thing, I have a hard time believing it at this time. Something like this would make national news. "Developer plans to develop Hard Rock Cafe in Resort City"