Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Release Date: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:15 p.m.

Virginia Beach homeowners, business owners and citizens who have a stake or interest in the future of the Pembroke area are invited to attend an informal Public Information Meeting on Thursday, May 21, 7 to 9 p.m., in the Princess Anne High School Atrium, 4400 Virginia Beach Blvd. Parking is free.

Can anyone make it?

Edited by varider

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/oceanfront...-open-guestfree

VIRGINIA BEACH

The Oceanfront's newest hotel has no reservations for the Memorial Day weekend.

The 141-room Hampton Inn, at 1011 Atlantic Ave. in the southern stretches of the Oceanfront, was unable to accept reservations before it opened today, because of an issue with the hotel chain's online booking system.

Managers will open the doors by 3 p.m., counting on walk-in traffic to jump-start the holiday weekend.

"We're praying for good weather," said Ronnie Sibony, president of Sunsations Realty, the developer of the $30 million hotel.

Workers at the Hampton Inn spent much of the day Wednesday hanging paintings and preparing for guests, said Robyn Cooper, the hotel's sales director.

She said the hotel, which employs about 40, is working closely with the Virginia Beach Chamber of Commerce to get the word out to spur walk-ins.

Sunsations, an affiliate of the Virginia Beach-based chain of beach clothing and souvenir stores, broke ground on the Hampton Inn in March 2008.

"We thought it was a good business decision," Sibony said. "There's always room for a new hotel on the Oceanfront."

The company also runs the 68-room 19 Atlantic Hotel at the Oceanfront and built a 90-room hotel in Ocean City, Md.

Jim Ricketts, director of the Virginia Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau, said the 10-story hotel is a good addition, "especially for that section of the Oceanfront."

Release Date: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:15 p.m.

Virginia Beach homeowners, business owners and citizens who have a stake or interest in the future of the Pembroke area are invited to attend an informal Public Information Meeting on Thursday, May 21, 7 to 9 p.m., in the Princess Anne High School Atrium, 4400 Virginia Beach Blvd. Parking is free.

Can anyone make it?

Anyone else planning to attend?

I was there. There were no cookies and it was a little hot. I was really in the mood for a snickerdoodle. The plan, I think, is nicely done and should serve pretty well as a strong suggestion for future development in the Pembroke Area. You can see it on the Vbgov.com site. No big changes since it was last discussed, but I was glad to see a bit more emphasis on green space, parks, bikeways and references to things like Leed standards. LRT would be a big factor in design guidelines, two I-264 flyovers would improve access, including pedestrians bridging over to Trashmore, and a gridded roadway system would replace today's hodgepodge of diagonal and dysfunctional streets. Graphics were subdued--no really tall buildings were depicted other than the Westin. A sports arena was depicted just east of Witchduck. Perhaps a bit too much "something for everyone" but that's the process.

I was there too. I think the plan is ambitious but I'm excited to see the city going forward with it. As I recall the plan is to have 165 city blocks which would greatly expand our DT area. I too was glad to see all the plans for parks, greenways and bike paths. The transportation plan for the new interchanges and the grid street system and such will greatly improve traffic as there will be many outlets to and from the DT core. I thought it interesting too the idea of a possible marinia so folks could visit by boat. The idea for different distinct districts is nice so hopefully each will have a little different flavor. The residents responded over and over they desire a 'world-class downtown' so it does seem most are in favor of urbanizing the area which I found almost surprising since we are a suburban city. It seems people's mindset on the suburban model are changing which I find that refreshing. I hope I live long enough to see something like this come to fruition as surely this will transform our city forever.

Edited by urbanvb

I was there too. I think the plan is ambitious but I'm excited to see the city going forward with it. As I recall the plan is to have 165 city blocks which would greatly expand our DT area. I too was glad to see all the plans for parks, greenways and bike paths. The transportation plan for the new interchanges and the grid street system and such will greatly improve traffic as there will be many outlets to and from the DT core. I thought it interesting too the idea of a possible marinia so folks could visit by boat. The idea for different distinct districts is nice so hopefully each will have a little different flavor. The residents responded over and over they desire a 'world-class downtown' so it does seem most are in favor of urbanizing the area which I found almost surprising since we are a suburban city. It seems people's mindset on the suburban model are changing which I find that refreshing. I hope I live long enough to see something like this come to fruition as surely this will transform our city forever.

I am happy to hear this, 165 blocks, that is amazing, and then throw in the fact that people were okay with it and actually want that....well that is just surprising in a good way.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the remaining schedule for the Pembroke Implementation Plan:

Phase II: Other Considerations

A. Multi-Modal Transportation Plan

B. Open Space / Trail Plan

C. Green Planning Model

D. Final Illustrative Masters Plans

Steering Committee Presentation

Phase III: Rebranding & Marketing

Phase IV: Standards & Zoning Update

A. Expand Existing Urban Standards & Guidelines

B. Expand Existing Street Standards

C. Zoning & Creation of New Mixed-Use Zoning Districts

Steering Committee Presentation

Presentation

Planning Commission

City Council

I wonder what they'll do in the Rebranding & Marketing step.. Hopefully change the name from Pembroke and Town Center to something more appealing..

I wonder what they'll do in the Rebranding & Marketing step.. Hopefully change the name from Pembroke and Town Center to something more appealing..

I would imagine that they will drop "Town Center" and come up with a more universal name... It might be an area with two or three names, with only one being 'official'... It will always be Pembroke... Hopefully we can ditch Town Center... Then I would think some will call it downtown, and the city will probably try and come up with another 'catchy' but still stupid name...

It's not that many names to call the center of the city with skyscrapers, retail, restaurants, ect.. It's either Downtown, Uptown, or Center City...

&& does anybody know how the city is going to turn what they have on paper to an actual urban metropolis with a 165 block downtown equipped with all the big city goodies?? I don't really understand the whole process... Will the city come up with their own buildings and take bids from developers, or will they just wait for the developers to come to them? How will it work..

Edited by varider

It's not that many names to call the center of the city with skyscrapers, retail, restaurants, ect.. It's either Downtown, Uptown, or Center City...

&& does anybody know how the city is going to turn what they have on paper to an actual urban metropolis with a 165 block downtown equipped with all the big city goodies?? I don't really understand the whole process... Will the city come up with their own buildings and take bids from developers, or will they just wait for the developers to come to them? How will it work..

These are just guideline for future developments, not necessarily what will happen. Private property is still private and the city has no real control over that. This is just a guide for future development and zoning guidelines.

These are just guideline for future developments, not necessarily what will happen. Private property is still private and the city has no real control over that. This is just a guide for future development and zoning guidelines.

so it basically means they can't build any more suburban strip malls, car dealerships, big box retailers or anything like that anymore, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will build skyscrapers, office buildings, and retail? will the city use public money to restructure the street grid into 165 city blocks, or is that going to be privatized as well?? I'm just trying to figure out what is different from now and 10 years ago..? What is goin' to make developers come out of the woodwork to build this "world class downtown"?

Edited by varider

http://www.vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnextoid=f0...nextfmt=default

Va Beach has a website for the Laskin Gateway now..

The Laskin Road Gateway project will transform the area surrounding 31st Street and the Oceanfront into an exciting people-gathering place featuring upscale shops, restaurants, hotels and residential buildings – all in a pedestrian-oriented setting. This inviting activity-oriented atmosphere provides the local community, retail customers, hotel guests and other visitors a delightful place to gather, dine, shop, live, work or play in a lively high-quality environment.

What it is

With direct access to the oceanfront along Laskin Road, this key gateway district is the Resort Area’s best location for a concentration of high-end retail that diversifies the retail offerings for tourists and locals alike.

The district was studied and detailed in the Resort Area Strategic Action Plan, which was adopted by the Virginia Beach City Council on Dec. 2, 2008. The plan envisions a corridor with a coordinated transportation and retail strategy that gets people out of their cars and on foot in a village-like setting. Development is sensitively scaled to the needs of adjacent neighborhoods, and mixes new residential opportunities with active street level retail uses that front on widened sidewalks to accommodate pedestrian traffic and outdoor dining. New development is reinforced by an open space system that combines streetscape improvements with strategically located green space, including a planned "circle" marking the arrival of the Laskin Gateway corridor to the beach.

Funded for $28.4 million of road, streetscape, landscaping and utility improvements, the Laskin Road Gateway project will deliver significant improvements to traffic flow and capacity featuring a two-way pair of 30th and 32nd streets. Capital Improvements Program item #2-143, this project will complete the 30th and 32nd Street “pair” road improvements, road and streetscape improvements, the underground placement of overhead utilities, and new sanitary sewer and water lines.

The improved infrastructure will support more than $60 million in new private development in one block alone featuring multi-use development to foster a live-and-work environment that includes:

Edited by varider

• 3 weeks later...

Blah Blah Blah...It's just fear mongering. Looks like they will move it with city dollars anyway.

B B But....National Security!!!!!!!!1111!! :cry: Nevermind they built the thing in 1995 when the oceanfront was already heavily developed. And yet they are shocked, shocked I say, at the idea that there are highrises where there were....already highrises before. :rolleyes: This whole thing is ludicrous and a complete waste of time and is indicative of the many "nontroversies" we have to put up with nowadays. I say move the thing and stop crying about it. Btw, whoever thought it was a good idea to put that in the middle of a heavily developed city in the first place probably needs to find other work.