Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

B B But....National Security!!!!!!!!1111!! :cry: Nevermind they built the thing in 1995 when the oceanfront was already heavily developed. And yet they are shocked, shocked I say, at the idea that there are highrises where there were....already highrises before. :rolleyes: This whole thing is ludicrous and a complete waste of time and is indicative of the many "nontroversies" we have to put up with nowadays. I say move the thing and stop crying about it. Btw, whoever thought it was a good idea to put that in the middle of a heavily developed city in the first place probably needs to find other work.

They just found another use for Ft Monroe now! :thumbsup:

Dang! Some of these images make Virginia Beach look better than Miami! They better move that freakin radar ASAP! The OCeanfront is going to look beautiful.

http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/plan...d-CropMarks.pdf

Here's an aerial rendering of the Laskin Road Gateway

http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/mcg/...ages/aerial.png

All projects must be built now! I hate you FAA and your stupid golf ball!

Here are a few quotes from the summer 2009 edition of Beach magazine..

The city is reviewing two proposals from developers- one by Garfield Traub and another by Armada Hoffler- to build a headquarters hotel adjacent to the convention center. Both feature 700- room facilities and would enable the city to host major national conventions.

The largest hotel in the region is only 445 rooms.

Rudee Loop

In the future, the city plans to create a high density, mixed use private development that could include a four- star hotel, luxury condominiums, upscale dining, specialty retail, and public parking. Public open space, walkways, and bike paths would complement the development.

Dome Site

Leisure and Recreational Concepts of Dallas is developing a plan to turn the nine acres into an entertainment megaplex. Preliminary ideas include a 2,500 seat Broadway- style theater, an entire floor dedicated to "anything kids", a virtual bowling alley, and a movie theater. The site would also feature public parking and perhaps a light rail stop, connecting the resort with the rest of Virginia Beach and the region.

Sounds great. :thumbsup:

Progress on transformation of Beach's Dome Site slows

City leaders still have their hopes pinned on Michael Jenkins, a Dallas-based entertainment developer who envisions building a 2,500-seat theater, ferris wheel and ice-skating rink at the site.

Several of those who have seen Jenkins' proposal said they are still enthusiastic. The city doesn't have to invest any money in the project yet, under the planning contract.

Jenkins wants to include a bowling alley and several movie theaters in a four-story entertainment complex, along with a theater that would host traveling Broadway shows. He plans to bring the Ice Capades to the skating rink and has proposed ending the potential light rail line at the entertainment center, city officials said.

I'm not sure what to think of this potential development. I don't see a bowling alley, ferris wheel, and movie theater as a "world class" destination. Where are the shops and restaurants and young adult entertainment aspects. This idea just misses the boat.

That better be a bigger ferris wheel than London's eye or I don't see a point to it at all. This is not supposed to be a permanent carnival location...

Va Beach city council are idiots. Armada Hoffler had a perfect plan for the dome site. but they pulled out because the city was taking too damn long to do anything. they drag their feet about everything. Even Light rail. I mean hello. We could have boarded light rail in 2005 with town center and everythign else going up around it. That is why norfolk is on track with everything. The Armada Hoffler project was going to be a large entertainment center with IMAX movie theatre, dinner show theartres, clubs/lounges for night life. Jullians was going to open a place there and even have a nice day cafe.. But they let it blow out the window. Even dolly parton wanted to build a nice amusement park there back in 1990.. that fell threw too.. Dixie Stampede

I'm not sure what to think of this potential development. I don't see a bowling alley, ferris wheel, and movie theater as a "world class" destination. Where are the shops and restaurants and young adult entertainment aspects. This idea just misses the boat.

That better be a bigger ferris wheel than London's eye or I don't see a point to it at all. This is not supposed to be a permanent carnival location...

Va Beach city council are idiots. Armada Hoffler had a perfect plan for the dome site. but they pulled out because the city was taking too damn long to do anything. they drag their feet about everything. Even Light rail. I mean hello. We could have boarded light rail in 2005 with town center and everythign else going up around it. That is why norfolk is on track with everything. The Armada Hoffler project was going to be a large entertainment center with IMAX movie theatre, dinner show theartres, clubs/lounges for night life. Jullians was going to open a place there and even have a nice day cafe.. But they let it blow out the window. Even dolly parton wanted to build a nice amusement park there back in 1990.. that fell threw too.. Dixie Stampede

I am miffed at how the beach wants to develop. They talk about developing a "South Beach" style corridor for the entire oceanfront, yet they have all of these No Cursing (X$%*0@) signs at Atlantic and complain about the night life, rowdiness, and bars down there. You can't have an active beach without young people going out and partying. And there will be only so many pricey Hilton's being built at the Beach to attract the wealthy. If I was wealthy, I wouldn't be going to Va Bch for vacation!

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/developers...tumpy-lake-plan

Instead of constructing more than 1,100 homes and condominiums on the site, the company would build about 520 new units, according to the plans.

Tri-City Properties, headed by prominent developer and political patron Eddie S. Garcia Sr., has been seeking government approval for the project for years amid opposition and legal challenges from environmental groups.

Indeed, one lawsuit continues today, five years after it was filed by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and Citizens for Stumpy Lake.

The two groups worry the project, affecting 431 acres, would forever alter Stumpy Lake, adjacent marshes, forests and other woodlands that act as a gateway to the undeveloped areas of southern Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.

In 2003, Tri-City obtained a state permit for the larger, more destructive design. At the time, Robert F. McDonnell, now a Republican candidate for governor, represented the company during public hearings on the project.

But last year the Army Corps of Engineers rejected those plans, ruling that the benefits of new homes, senior housing and commercial space near the Greenbrier business corridor in Chesapeake

• 1 month later...

Found this on bidclerk, reported September 1:

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.425800.html

Site work and new construction of a mixed-use residential development in Virginia Beach. Design development plans call for the construction of a 1,096-unit residential development. Construction is expected to include 300 apartments, 121 detached homes, 528 condominiums and 147 townhomes.

Est. Start Date: May 2010

no. Cityview is being built on bonney road.. Oh. Virginia Beach City approved the extension of constitution.

go to the current agenda. www.vbgov.com. city council. current agenda.. Even beach centre was approved

The project was approved years ago. This is simply for the condemnation of the remaining 25% of the land acquisition on the southern side. Construction on the road will begin whether this process is finished this month or not. It's a housekeeping measure. See the CityView thread for details.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they are building the New Sentara Hospital. It has nothing to do with cityview.. Cityview is on bonney road..

Well, if it is on the corner of Rosemont and Buckner, than it is Operation Smile like metalman said (or possibly another phase to the LifeNet building that I seem to remember reading about), not Sentara. The hospital is being built across Princess Anne next to Landstown High.

Yeah they are building the New Sentara Hospital. It has nothing to do with cityview.. Cityview is on bonney road..

Who are you replying to? What does cityview have to do with what I'm talking about? This is the "Virginia Beach Development" Thead and I'm talking about Virginia Beach Development.

You are right, Sentara has a new hostpital. But, that's on Princess Anne Rd. between Dam Neck and Concert Dr...as well as Virginia Beach CHKD. Cityview IS on Bonney. But, Operation Smile's new National Headquarters is on S. Rosemont and Buckner. Lifenet is on Concert Dr. just before Princess Anne Rd.

I think your confusing a few places.

*small edit-It's on S. Rosemont and Concert Dr. One block down from Buckner.

Edited by metalman