Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched the city council session from October 13 and the first portion was mainly about ways to fix our radar problem. The three alternatives discussed were either move it to fort story, move it to dam neck, or raise it.

And there are two major proposals for the Convention Center HQ Hotel.

A 400 room Hyatt Regency and a Mariott flag. The development authority hopes to make a selection in November or December of this year.

Edited by varider

By the way, a ton of demo work has occurred around Princess Anne/Witchduck for the Kempsville Historic plan, in this photo is where the Senor Iguanas and Kempsville glass used to be, the strip mall is gone too.

Well according to this article, the Kempsville Historic Village thing is supposed to be starting in the new year, so It's getting to be about that time.

• 1 month later...

Virginia Natural Gas has leased a 32,500-square-foot building to be constructed near Town Center and plans to move its headquarters there by next year. Developer Armada Hoffler has already begun construction on the building in the Lakeview Corporate Park near Independence Boulevard and Interstate 264, said Danya Bushey, a spokeswoman for the firm, which will lease the two-story property to Virginia Natural Gas for 15 years.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/va-natural-gas-will-lease-near-town-center

How bad is the economy when a temporary rink falls through?

A plan for temporary ice skating rink at the Oceanfront has melted away. “The franchisee was having trouble raising sponsorship money, and the sponsors they did have backed out,” said Mike Eason, the city’s resort manager.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/plans-fall-through-oceanfront-ice-rink

How bad is the economy when a temporary rink falls through?

http://hamptonroads....nfront-ice-rink

I don't think it's the economy as much as it is people just not caring enough about it. This easily could have happened in 2006 or 2007. Norfolk will already be having its own temporary ice-rink, anyways, with sponsorship from HRT and Nauticus, among others: MacArthur on Ice. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out how to properly post links here.

Edited by Achilles

• 2 weeks later...

The recently closed down Linens and Things on the corner of Va Beach Blvd and N. Plaza Trail is going to be an HHGregg electronics and appliance store. It looks like there are trying to step into Circuit City's shoes and compete with Best Buy. Good. I am very disapointed with the customer service in the Best Buy on the blvd. Though, the Landstown Common one is great.

The closest HHGregg's are in Richmond (Midlothian) and Raleigh, NC. This new one will be a stones throw from my house. I hope is a useful place.

^ funny thing you mention it. I too live right by and have been watching the building being readied for the new store. I wonder what the opening date is expected to be? Yeah I too am disappointed with Bestbuy's customer service. That store does a tremendous business and could always use some more help.

Edited by urbanvb

The truth of the matter is that banks are not loaning any money right now, the economy will be paralyzed until they start to lend again, even slam dunk investments like Westin Norfolk or Aloft are not getting loans.

Damn it banks, we didnt give you bailouts so you could stuff it under your mattress!

Are you really surprised by this? Bailouts were BS to begin with. Its going to get worse down the line with the current administration