Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

I can't take any more bad news. I'm takng a break from UrbanPlanet for a while..

http://hamptonroads....own-center-plan

Varider, you have to understand this all has to do with the economy. Nobody's building anything right now, but they will later on when the economy picks up. Just because Town Center has stalled doesn't mean they're not going to finish it. In the next couple years, things ought to be looking up (I hope).

Are you really surprised by this? Bailouts were BS to begin with. Its going to get worse down the line with the current administration

Because McCain and Palin would be doing so much better with the economy? But seriously, when there is a down economy like this, you have to first wait for government projects to get rolling before you can expect private projects to get back on track. So for the near future, road projects and rail projects are the things to be looking for, everything else you can expect about a year delay.

The biggest issue with these delays will be the change in ideas...the town center will get built out, as will new urban developments in the VB downtown, but what we are currently hoping to see might not actually happen...when the town center was breaking ground, the idea was to have a twin tower center, but as we all know only one tower was built and the plans for the area changed. Which also including Virginia's new tallest building, something that no one saw happening when the town center started.

Varider, you have to understand this all has to do with the economy. Nobody's building anything right now, but they will later on when the economy picks up. Just because Town Center has stalled doesn't mean they're not going to finish it. In the next couple years, things ought to be looking up (I hope).

We've had Granby Tower fail, Westin stall, Town Center stall, Ghent Station stall, and I reallly am starting to think that CityView does not have financing. I mean, how could it? If Armada Hoffler can't finance a 15 floor apartment/hotel tower in Town Center.. how the heck could CityView finance 2-15 floor towers, a 7 floor tower, a parking deck, etc.

Because McCain and Palin would be doing so much better with the economy? But seriously, when there is a down economy like this, you have to first wait for government projects to get rolling before you can expect private projects to get back on track. So for the near future, road projects and rail projects are the things to be looking for, everything else you can expect about a year delay.

The biggest issue with these delays will be the change in ideas...the town center will get built out, as will new urban developments in the VB downtown, but what we are currently hoping to see might not actually happen...when the town center was breaking ground, the idea was to have a twin tower center, but as we all know only one tower was built and the plans for the area changed. Which also including Virginia's new tallest building, something that no one saw happening when the town center started.

I have gotten to the point that it doesn't matter which side of the isle they are on that they are no longer for the American people. Everything is a power grab and trying to change the constitution to allow them more control over us. Just be glad that we aren't loosing jobs as bad as other metros

We've had Granby Tower fail, Westin stall, Town Center stall, Ghent Station stall, and I reallly am starting to think that CityView does not have financing. I mean, how could it? If Armada Hoffler can't finance a 15 floor apartment/hotel tower in Town Center.. how the heck could CityView finance 2-15 floor towers, a 7 floor tower, a parking deck, etc.

Granby Tower failed cause the stupid court delayed it in 2004 (or 2005?) and, basically, killed it with the economy falling apart in 2008 and eminent domain. This is happening across the country, even in places a renowned as Las Vegas and San Diego. I'm no economist or urban planner, but I'm fairly certain that, if they don't have the financing, the developers will likely ride out the economic turmoil and then start building once things start looking better.

Also, I think we should keep politics out of this thread. We don't need people clawing each others eyes out over something not directly related to urban planning (actually, politics are very much involved in urban planning, but Obama and Palin are not).

Edited by Achilles

After 9/11, didn't the original Town Center drop plans for a twin tower to the Armada Hoffler building? And yet a few years later, we got the Westin hotel. I would rather have Westin than an ugly twin AH building, so things are not necessarily bad!

Source or proof? Sorry, but I'm skeptical of all projects.

I don't see two 15 floor towers condo/apartment towers getting financing.

Knowing how financing works for these big projects, I have to agree with you here. It is not a sure bet until you actually see this thing rise, and even then it still isnt a sure bet if they are getting there funding in stages, which I have seen disappear when a project was half way done before.

For now, the main issue is getting the road extended, as long as that happens, this project will happen eventually.

After 9/11, didn't the original Town Center drop plans for a twin tower to the Armada Hoffler building? And yet a few years later, we got the Westin hotel. I would rather have Westin than an ugly twin AH building, so things are not necessarily bad!

I think so. I'll admit, until this past year, I never really followed construction projects around here as closely as I do now. Speaking of 9/11, the One World Trade Center (formerly known as the Freedom Tower) is having its own problems lifting off. It was originally scheduled to be topped off sometime next year or in 2011, but now, it has been significantly pushed back to 2013. And there are even rumors that it may not be fully completed until 2018 (Source: the New York Daily News). This is New York we're talking about here; the skyscraper capital of the world, IMO. If they can't get something built on time, then I don't think we should be worrying too much about everything. But, yeah, I don't believe things are as bad as they seem.

• 4 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/beach-dumping-zoning-rules-growth

The changes are an attempt to create more pedestrian-friendly, urban centers, said Stephen White, a city planner.

Virginia Beach screwed itself up. Uncontrolled, suburban growth and now the city is a sea of parking, strip malls, and cul-de-sacs.

The best the can hope for is walkable neighborhoods around the LR-264-Blvd. corridor

Virginia Beach screwed itself up. Uncontrolled, suburban growth and now the city is a sea of parking, strip malls, and cul-de-sacs.

The best the can hope for is walkable neighborhoods around the LR-264-Blvd. corridor

From what the article is stating, it looks like the plan is for the Oceanfront to become very walkable. If that is the case and the Pembroke area follows suit, what more could you want. You'll never get rid of the suburbs. If there is something to be defined as "American" culture it's the suburbs. I don't see anything wrong with having the suburbs between our two major urban districts (oceanfront and pembroke). It's a great family environment and a great way to be raised. Hopefully the city will one day provide the options for people within Va Beach city limits to choose between they type of living they want. It's not an all or nothing type thing.

From what the article is stating, it looks like the plan is for the Oceanfront to become very walkable. If that is the case and the Pembroke area follows suit, what more could you want. You'll never get rid of the suburbs. If there is something to be defined as "American" culture it's the suburbs. I don't see anything wrong with having the suburbs between our two major urban districts (oceanfront and pembroke). It's a great family environment and a great way to be raised. Hopefully the city will one day provide the options for people within Va Beach city limits to choose between they type of living they want. It's not an all or nothing type thing.

We may not live to see it, but with the potential of light rail in the region, I could see much of VB Blvd becoming pockets of urban centers....again, if we live that long to see that many changes. Right now I would say Pembroke and the Oceanfront is the best bets...I kind wanted to see the "Miami effect" happen at the Oceanfront, it would of been amazing seeing a bunch of condo and apartment buildings rising in that area from Atlantic to at least Baltic.

I could see some form of urban development happening at Newtown. The area where RK Chevy and Beach Ford are (if they ever go bust...or unless they already have?) Would be another great area for a small urban district. Along VB Blvd from the Great American Outlet Mall to Princess Anne Plaza Shopping Center is another area that is nothing more than an aging strip mall area that is right on the rail line, would be a great place for a rather larger urban district.

I would say those are the key areas in Virginia Beach to keep an eye on during the next few development booms, especially as light rail begins to go in...all of those areas are potential light rail stops and for the most part, very easy areas to redevelop.

Pembroke is going to take SOOO long to become a walkable urban center. I don't even think walkable is in the city's vocabulary at the moment. A fence in the median of the Boulevardd? Why not build some huge crosswalks with countdown timers for pedestrians and just ticket people for blocking the walkway? I digress. Light rail will be our only way to create urban districts in the city. Pembroke will probaly become more attractive and we will probably see a residential boom there with people having the convenience of TC, DT, the Oceanfront, Naval Station, and in the future Airport all by train. Reallly anywhere along the LR lines is going to become unbelieveably popular in the next decade.As ridership increases, TOD will explode. I guess we just have to be patient. One day, Virginia Beach Blvd. could be an almost continuous urban district.

On 17th Street a jumble of vacant and deteriorating buildings sits, just two blocks from the beach. Efforts to redevelop this strip have f foundered over the years, but Virginia Beach officials say they hope they finally have a way to spur a renaissance on 17th Street and other older corridors at the Oceanfront. They want to overhaul the city's zoning codes.

Beach officials have launched an effort to ditch the city's more arcane rules. The current zoning rules, which most communities follow, segregate homes, offices and restaurants and specify how much parking that developers must provide and how many people can live on a plot.

Planners are instead trying to develop more flexible, form-based zoning codes for certain parts of the Oceanfront. If the code change is successful there, city officials plan to take it into other areas targeted for high growth and redevelopment, including Pembroke and Newtown Road.

I don't understand why the Oceanfront isn't already a great, walkable, vibrant, urban district.I think the city should try and get more residential in the Resort Area to keep it vibrant all year round.

The city has been ruled by the suburban post world war two Levittown mentality since its inception, it will take time to reverse. The current situation is a result of 40 years of development, it will take that much to transform it.

• 5 months later...

Stop the press...I think a Cracker Barrel is being built were the old Bennigan's was at Lynnhaven Mall!!! I haven't seen this being reported anywhere and I was shocked to see it yesterday when I rounded the Mall. It certainly looks like a typical Cracker Barrel building with a huge porch in front ready for all those rocking chairs. :)

• 2 months later...

The property is secluded, the view is beautiful and the fishing is great . The asking price is less than $100,000, and it even comes with a pool table. And right now the city of Virginia Beach is the only interested buyer. Beach officials are considering buying the Chesapeake Light Tower, about 15 miles off the coast, to house a national security radar and remove a large obstacle to the city’s plans to develop the Oceanfront.

The tower, which looks like an oil-drilling platform, may be one of the few places that radar wouldn’t be blocked by the buildings at the Oceanfront, said Bob Matthias, assistant to the city manager.

Looks like a great idea, Va Beach is really pushing hard on this radar issue.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/virginia-beach-looks-buying-offshore-platform

Looks like a great idea, Va Beach is really pushing hard on this radar issue.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/virginia-beach-looks-buying-offshore-platform

it is a good, outside of the box idea, but a complete waste of time. I (oddly enough) agree with most of the people posting replies about:

1) Security... I have no doubt that it could hold up to a hurricane, as waves are less severe that far out, however security and keeping it from being tampered with is a problem.

2) Why would the CITY buy the tower? If the radar is moved, it should be federal property, not city. The city owning it would mean they would have to be liable for any damage and maintenance.

3) Move the thing to Damn Neck or Fort Story or the Eastern Shore or Sandbridge or North Carolina.

i think the city wants to pay for it to show the feds that they are indeed serious about the issue. wherever they move it to, I think the city is going to pay for part of it. I think that it is fair. The feds just want a working radar and they (apparently) have the power to keep the city from building tall buildings. It is well worth the effort for VB to be able to build taller buildings at the oceanfront.

• 4 months later...

Beach wins battle for taller hotels :)

The city's dream of more tall buildings at the Oceanfront, including a proposed 17-story Virginia Beach Convention Center hotel, is closer to reality now that a long-simmering argument with the federal government appears to be over.

The Department of Defense has determined the planned convention center hotel won't block the homeland security radar at Oceana Naval Air Station, a concern that three years ago led to a 110-foot height restriction for the resort area.

Other tall buildings could also be built without harming the radar, according to a letter from Undersecretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter to Sen s. Mark Warner and Jim Webb.

Frustrated city officials had asked Webb and Warner for help after unsuccessfully battling federal officials to lift the height restriction. The city even explored buying an old lighthouse and moving the radar to it....