Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Took a look at Venture Realty's website. I can see why this piece of horse squeeze looks like a retail shopping center. They have completed way more suburban retail projects vs. urban multi-family to include Wal-Marts, Targets and Home Depots. This is why "Building 1" looks like a Wal-Mart anchor and "Building 2" looks like smaller retail outparcels surrounded by a parking lot.

I hope the city does not approve this mess. I pray that someone within the city has an urban planning bone in their body. Or please get in a car and go visit a city up north for inspiration.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, BFG said:

Looks like a Rooms To Go furniture store. They have one in NN that looks similar. 

On 12/23/2019 at 3:35 PM, Urbanlooker said:

I just drove by it earlier, its got to be a Rooms to Go that's exactly how they all  look. 

Thanks for the feedback!  I guess I'm not familiar with their look...

• 4 weeks later...

Quick summery: 

• 4 star, 12 story hotel and conference center
  •  3 star, 13 story hotel
  •  13 story apt building
  •  9 story condo/hotel
  •  Public space would encompass about half of the loop and would include sculptures, a basketball court, amenities for surfers and cyclists, a stage, a fishing area, and a park with a water feature.

13 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Quick summery: 

• 4 star, 12 story hotel and conference center
  •  3 star, 13 story hotel
  •  13 story apt building
  •  9 story condo/hotel
  •  Public space would encompass about half of the loop and would include sculptures, a basketball court, amenities for surfers and cyclists, a stage, a fishing area, and a park with a water feature.

Now this is more like it for that area.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that Rudee being the more upscale part of the Strip, we'll get some sleek architecture here, with more glass than concrete. 

What are the chances we could see more stuff like this filling in parts of Pacific Ave, closer to the surf park?

• Like 1

Bruce wants to model Rudee Loop after The Wharf in DC. Having spent some time there last summer, it's definitely a worthy project to emulate.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/consumer/vp-nw-rudee-loop-0123-20200122-mu3nt2djxvgitieapetoe7fowi-story.html?outputType=amp&utm_source=kw&kwp_0=1553939&kwp_4=4660753&kwp_1=1975146&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Bruce wants to model Rudee Loop after The Wharf in DC. Having spent some time there last summer, it's definitely a worthy project to emulate.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/consumer/vp-nw-rudee-loop-0123-20200122-mu3nt2djxvgitieapetoe7fowi-story.html?outputType=amp&utm_source=kw&kwp_0=1553939&kwp_4=4660753&kwp_1=1975146&__twitter_impression=true

I just looked over some pictures. That would look great down there. 

• 5 weeks later...

Site plans have been filed for two different mixed use proposals by McLeskey & Associates.

The first is for a site on the south side of Rudee Inlet at the foot of the bridge. It calls for a hotel, apartments, restaurant & marina.

The other is at General Booth & Dam Neck, behind IHOP & Chick Fil A. It calls for a mix of retail, office & apartments. 

Also lots of demo activity at the Oceanfront, with permits to tear down Baymont, Neptune Park, & Belvedere Hotels (the latter two being completed). Additionally preliminary plans were filed for the Embassy Suites for the final Cavalier  redevelopment project. Potential for 4 new hotels, as well as the 27th St apartments, in 2021. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, urbanvb said:

A massive green battery factory is going up at the former Owl’s Creek golf course.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/jobs/vp-nw-global-technical-systems-0402-20200402-o6a3j2x6gfbwhmhkdm2ty3cylq-story.html

View from space via Sentinel-2:

Sentinel-2 L1C image on 2020-04-05(1).jpg

Edited by ronsmytheiii

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Between this and the Norfolk employees being moved to the Daily Press offices, I have yet to see one good thing Tribune has done since acquiring this newspaper. The disregard for the history is one thing, but to say to hell with local journalism for a mid-sized market is disgusting. I really wish someone who knows journalism could step in and take care of this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1