Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

So we'll have no local presence at all? I love Richmond, but this doesn't make sense. HR contains the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd largest cities in the state. They already have a newspaper. This is absolutely nonsensical. I'm so tired of our area being treated this way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, vdogg said:

So we'll have no local presence at all? I love Richmond, but this doesn't make sense. HR contains the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd largest cities in the state. They already have a newspaper. This is absolutely nonsensical. I'm so tired of our area being treated this way. 

That's what happen when you live in the countries largest geographical cul-da-sac. If there was a large interstate that went through and didn't just end HR would be considered a much bigger deal. There is no "just passing through" stopping here. If you are here it's because you mean to be here and that hurts the area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, metalman said:

This has been going on for years. Note the top article is dated 2016 and Virginia has done NOTHING toward this. Also, this will still not solve the problem of HR build a  cul-de-sac. That interstate just links Norfolk to Raleigh. No one driving from D.C. or Richmond will swing through HR to get to Raleigh if that's their destination.

This is why the region needs to find more reasons to lure people here outside of a beach and a few arts districts. You’re a cul-de-sac that doesn’t offer anything that any other East Coast cities don’t, and on top of it, you can’t even agree on which city should take the lead, and you just lost a Fortune 500 company. 

There’s no reason why Hampton Roads should be this far behind the curve on everything non-military. 

Are there any other metros our size that are also cul-de-sacs, not off a major interstate?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, BFG said:

This is why the region needs to find more reasons to lure people here outside of a beach and a few arts districts. You’re a cul-de-sac that doesn’t offer anything that any other East Coast cities don’t, and on top of it, you can’t even agree on which city should take the lead, and you just lost a Fortune 500 company. 

There’s no reason why Hampton Roads should be this far behind the curve on everything non-military. 

Are there any other metros our size that are also cul-de-sacs, not off a major interstate?

Not our size, but my brother lives in the Charleston, SC metro and the growth in that area has been astonishing over the past 15 years. They have been able to attract alot of business. 

• Like 2

Expect an economic development announcement from Northam at some point today. VBDA is scheduled to vote on ‘Project Pinnacle’ tomorrow and states it will be announced by Northam today. No indication on who/what or if it’s related to the Breeden proposal. 

Edit: ASGN will also invest $7.4 million to expand its operations in Virginia, adding 147 new jobs in the City of Virginia Beach - Press Release

Expansion of an existing business. 700 new jobs across the state. 

Edited by 23320
  • Like 3

On 5/28/2020 at 12:20 PM, zeppelin14 said:

This has been going on for years. Note the top article is dated 2016 and Virginia has done NOTHING toward this. Also, this will still not solve the problem of HR build a  cul-de-sac. That interstate just links Norfolk to Raleigh. No one driving from D.C. or Richmond will swing through HR to get to Raleigh if that's their destination.

Dominion Blvd bridge in Chesapeake was part of the future I-87 plans. There are plans to upgrade that portion South as well but there really isn't alot to do, NC has the majority of the construction.

Also, it's not so much the traffic from DC or Richmond, it's the traffic coming through the Eastern Shore from destinations such as NY, Philly, and Boston that will use this route more by avoiding the heavily congested I-95 corridor. 

Edited by Up2313
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 3:54 AM, ronsmytheiii said:

Apartments=year round residents

year round residents=retail demand year long, year round amenities demand

There fore less low quality touristy shops on the beachfront

Well, um, obviously. LOL. Nobody wants crappy shops.  Everybody wants more year-round residents.

What I would like to see there is a high-end, mixed-use development with private condominium residences, flats, better quality retail and possibly an entertainment component. A first-class project with great architecture and real presence. 

This an extemely prominent, gateway property.  Kind of like the one in downtown Norfolk that everyone wants to see just whatever slapped up there.  

This type of redevelopment opportunity does not come along but once in a generation ...or three...or four. It's too bad the owner of the property can't wait around for something better,  but I certainly understand that a bird in hand is worth ...several in the bush.  However, one would like to see the property developed to its highest and best use. $$$$

Hopefully these "apartments" will be more than just "apartments."  Unless you're thinking that's enough.  Ymmv.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t see a Virginia Beach photos page, so I thought I’d post this here since this is Beach “development.” Nice bit of density here built up over the past 7-15 yrs or so. In particular with the left upper quadrant of this photo. 

Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn’t really capture it as well/the same as the human eye, and I couldn’t get very high up today, but it’s pretty interesting to observe the changes here to the general 31st Gateway area from this perspective.  Here you are looking from Beach Garden Park on the causeway which leads from Holly Road to 30th, and Laskin as well. 

9EBBBB1D-AD59-43FB-A09D-82B7741854FD.jpeg

• 3 months later...

New proposal for 250 + Keys + Apartments and Garage next to (East of) the Convention Center in between 19th & 21st. 11 parcels, private property, land acquisition negotiations underway. Tory Breeden + a nationally-renowned upscale hotel developer. $150-$200M.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-virginia-beach-convention-center-1210-20201209-imjey3srdjdrtetkbpiujiecaq-story.html

Edited by baobabs727

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Laskin Road Annex RFP #ED-21-01

VIRGINIA BEACH ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

https://www.yesvirginiabeach.com/resources/laskin-road-annex-rfp-ed-21-01

Site of the Laskin Road and Accel Virginia Beach schools formally Linkhorn Park elementary school…(where I attended K through 6...eons ago lol. ).

Major development project with several potential uses.  Highly visible and valuable property proximate to both Hilltop and the oceanfront. I’ve known this was coming for some time... but here it is, finally.  And it’s about time. Excess school board property. This former school was replaced with a new one of the same name built on First Colonial Road maybe a mile away ...because City Council freaked out in the ‘90s thinking that Linkhorn Park ES was in the Oceana jet crash zone. They feared losing Oceana, so they spent millions of dollars acquiring property on First Colonial Road from the Potter family and another (who were unwilling sellers actually) . After they spent millions more building the school, it was discovered that the crash zone maps had been drawn up in error, and the school was actually not in the crash zone after all!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, Asdfjkl; said:

Came across a couple of renderings for Oceanfront apartment buildings. First is 250 units located immediately north of the Harris Teeter and on both sides of Baltic, connected by pedestrian bridges. 

image.thumb.png.3b20c7e1ad5156068801f97e98766898.png

image.thumb.png.9ba95bdefdbfa96294aec8fa92e2643f.png

Next I believe is currently Beach Tower at 3330 Pacific. I’ve heard the owners have been considering adding a few floors and converting to apartments. 

image.jpeg.e0aa1b583dc55a0c2006a1f54e65ea53.jpeg

Weirdly modern and eclectic for Virginia Beach. Definitely having a bit of an apartment boom in the area.

• Like 3

I'm getting Florida vibes from this, which makes sense considering the streets above 30th St. remind me a little of South Beach Lite for some reason. I love Art Deco, so that second apartment building really stands out to me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BFG said:

I'm getting Florida vibes from this, which makes sense considering the streets above 30th St. remind me a little of South Beach Lite for some reason. I love Art Deco, so that second apartment building really stands out to me.

The whole corridor is becoming very dense. Starting to get a bit more of that "city" feel in the area vice just a regular beach town.

• Like 2