Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

12 hours ago, vdogg said:

Annnddd...The plot thickens. I don't know what this guy wants, and apparently, he doesn't know either. <_<

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/vp-nw-parking-lots-0604-20220605-zwxcihbsfrhpdoufo4ntufbolq-story.html

Perhaps if we  read between the lines of that interview and Mr.Tower's comments on the subject, we might come to suspect that he may never find a development partner who will sign on the dotted line and commit funds. 

Ugh.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vdogg said:

Annnddd...The plot thickens. I don't know what this guy wants, and apparently, he doesn't know either. <_<

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/vp-nw-parking-lots-0604-20220605-zwxcihbsfrhpdoufo4ntufbolq-story.html

Oh my… I actually issued this decision not to extend the temporary parking lot permit. Well, at the direction of my superiors, of course.

I can see why he would want the extension. It’s a way to gain funds until he can afford to develop. But the extension of the temporary permit would go against policy. I think it’d require Council action so we couldn’t do it administratively.

If he can’t afford to sit on the land or develop it, maybe he should just sell it to a developer who can. I’m sure he’d be able to sell it for higher than listing price. It’s a prime piece of property.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lluck002 said:

Oh my… I actually issued this decision not to extend the temporary parking lot permit. Well, at the direction of my superiors, of course.

I can see why he would want the extension. It’s a way to gain funds until he can afford to develop. But the extension of the temporary permit would go against policy. I think it’d require Council action so we couldn’t do it administratively.

If he can’t afford to sit on the land or develop it, maybe he should just sell it to a developer who can. I’m sure he’d be able to sell it for higher than listing price. It’s a prime piece of property.

Did he happen to explain why he tore down the gas station? Seems like it would be a better interim use than a gravel lot that only generates $150k annually & has a one year life. He’s not doing himself any favors putting this situation out in the press should he decide/be forced to sell. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We launched the Public Input Campaign for Virginia Beach’s Comprehensive Plan Update. Below is the digital flyer that will take you to the webpage to complete surveys and such, so that everyone here can participate and let their voice be heard :)

08AC9B9B-E3AC-4319-9727-3E968F6942B9.thumb.jpeg.cf5dbb70b2fc262b9dcc631ccd0ca08b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

"122 MAC"

UPDATE:  Planning approves conditional rezoning for the parcel known as "Mount Crushmore."  Breeden tweaks video for their upcoming  "122  MAC" project located  @122 Mac Street, just West of Town Center at  "Mount Crushmore,"  438 "high end" residential units.   Yuck. Suburban-looking and a sea of surface parking.  At least that concrete rubble pile will be going the way of the Dodo.

PLANNING: (presentation begins at 22:50)

Edited by baobabs727

“The use of color allows the eye to move seamlessly across the architecture.”  :tw_joy:

“The concept respects the natural landscape.” :tw_joy:

To do that, it would’ve been cool if they kept an industrial feel to the architecture and made it some converted warehouse loft design on the outside, even if they “juxtaposed” it with a modern interior design and layout.  That would have been cool.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 2

And then I go on IG and see stuff in big cities that’s about the same height - give or take a couple stories - that look contemporary and not suburban. Check the stuff in the foreground. Around here it’s more of the same. 

D784C506-E884-45A3-88F1-718CE466BD92.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, BFG said:

The old Circuit City off Independence might see the wrecking ball. Of course the Pilot just HAD to bring up the fact that it was almost a light rail station.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-nw-circuit-city-0720-20220719-6twdabmypbgjrpatu6mmptccwi-story.html

Still could be a light rail station. Another example of the Pilot reporting false information. The 2016 Referendum was legally non-binding and was only concerning whether City Tax dollars were to be used to fund construction; it was not a vote to decide whether it could happen at all. But that entire parcel isn’t needed for a little tram station anyways. It probably would’ve become mixed-use development regardless, and a lot sooner too if they had extended the Tide back then. The City owns the rail ROW so there will always be room for a station there when the day comes.

I’ll be happy as long as whatever is proposed is integrated into Town Center’s walkable grid, encouraging more surrounding development to do the same. Our Comprehensive Plan clearly shows what the entire SGA’s street grid is supposed to be like so we need to pressure developers to start building in that pattern. If they can’t afford to Proffer building the actual portion of the new streets their parcels touch, at least building so that no structures impede the future streets.

Economic Development....

Sanjo, a Spanish metal-stamping company closely affiliated with Stihl and with a headquarters here in VB, has announced a multi-million dollar expansion nearly doubling their facility here. The investment is expected to create 40 new jobs at 60-70K/yr.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/spanish-company-plans-3-2-154200772.html

39 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

Economic Development....

Sanjo, a Spanish metal-stamping company closely affiliated with Stihl and with a headquarters here in VB, has announced a multi-million dollar expansion nearly doubling their facility here. The investment is expected to create 40 new jobs at 60-70K/yr.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/spanish-company-plans-3-2-154200772.html

Was hoping the Pilot would cover the land swap involved in this. The EDA swapped a parcel in Corporate Landing for the remaining landlocked parcel behind Sanjo that only Sanjo will ever be able to use. They didn’t go into the reason for the swap in the meeting. 

8 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Was hoping the Pilot would cover the land swap involved in this. The EDA swapped a parcel in Corporate Landing for the remaining landlocked parcel behind Sanjo that only Sanjo will ever be able to use. They didn’t go into the reason for the swap in the meeting. 

Oh that’s intriguing! 

• 3 weeks later...

Virginia Beach reveals proposals for coveted Rudee Loop development

The proposals include:

• NFL Hall of Famer Bruce Smith, along with Virginia Beach-based real estate investment company Armada Hoffler and real estate management company Madison Marquette of Washington, D.C.: Mixed-use project with retail, three hotels, apartments, a parking garage and a 4-acre park with an entertainment stage and a dog park.
  • Gold Key|PHR, led by Virginia Beach developer Bruce Thompson. Two options: A 7-acre park with a skate park, dog park and surf hall of fame as well as a parking garage and apartments. The other option is a 7-acre park, a parking garage, apartments and a hotel where the existing Schooner hotel is located.
  • The Virginia Gentlemen Foundation, a nonprofit organization which built Grommet Island Park at 1st Street. Two options: A park with a skate park, playgrounds and stage as well as a parking garage, surf museum, a walkway to the jetty at Rudee Inlet and green space. The second option includes a boardwalk for fishing along the perimeter of the loop instead of the green space.
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Bruce Thompson is determined to build a park somewhere in HR. I admit I would like to see Bruce Smith's project, if for nothing else to get more contemporary architecture along the Strip. However, I'd rather see new developments go at the other end near Catch 31 and the Cavalier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HRVA said:

Another potential development at the Oceanfront was presented to City Council this week. 

Capstone Development of Washington, led by Norman Jenkins, submitted plans for 933 apartments, a 300-room hotel, a restaurant and retail space across the street from the convention center.”

image.thumb.jpeg.5c96fc3322276f5f1fc6c361c9ecacfd.jpeg

Looks very DCish which, them being from DC, makes sense. I like it. It’s exactly the type of urban development we need in that corridor.

• Like 3