Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

22 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Preliminary plans filed for 4525 Columbus Street for a mid-rise hotel. Not clear if this would be a redevelopment or built over the existing parking lot. 

The plans say "midrise hotel built over a parking deck". In my mind's eye it's hard for me to see how you would fit a parking deck within the outline of the existing parking lot, so I would bet that some demolition would be required.

2 hours ago, BFG said:

It seems like, in typical pilot fashion, they chased down the one lady who was adamantly opposed to any type of development and quoted her throughout the article as though she represented everyone. I seriously doubt that's the case. On balance, they're probably more opposed than not, but I'm sure they could have found someone in that crowd who supported some type of redevelopment. Pilot articles are always biased in the favor of nimbys.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, varider said:

Do we know anything about this?

https://hrchamber.com/news/article/the-breeden-company-continues-virginia-beach-expansion-with-construction-of-115-unit-multifamily-community/

$46M, 115 apartments called the Ascend at Hilltop on Laskin? 

Yes, I believe that project is destined to be built roughly behind/adjacent to Friends School 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, varider said:

Do we know anything about this?

https://hrchamber.com/news/article/the-breeden-company-continues-virginia-beach-expansion-with-construction-of-115-unit-multifamily-community/

$46M, 115 apartments called the Ascend at Hilltop on Laskin? 

Don't expect anything more than run of the mill apartments from this. I believe we posted about this up thread. The Franklin Johnston development will be far more urban in character.

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

Don't expect anything more than run of the mill apartments from this. I believe we posted about this up thread. The Franklin Johnston development will be far more urban in character.

Yup, very suburban but frankly appropriate for this location. It’s tucked back by the interstate and a bunch of older, suburban apartments. I imagine upzoning it wasn’t on the table either considering its proximity to Oceana. They’re developing it to the maximum allowed under the existing zoning. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The city is debating whether to build roads to connect Dam Neck and London Bridge for a distribution and distribution center (possibly Amazon). Several of the contractors have had experience with Amazon facilities.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/08/07/virginia-beach-considers-22-5-million-road-construction-for-warehouse-distribution-center-projects/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, urbanvb said:

The city is debating whether to build roads to connect Dam Neck and London Bridge for a distribution and distribution center (possibly Amazon). Several of the contractors have had experience with Amazon facilities.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/08/07/virginia-beach-considers-22-5-million-road-construction-for-warehouse-distribution-center-projects/

If any of you feel so inclined, please send a letter of support to our council members, so they don’t think there’s only opposition in regards to these facilities and the request to fund the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2023 at 9:34 AM, varider said:

If any of you feel so inclined, please send a letter of support to our council members, so they don’t think there’s only opposition in regards to these facilities and the request to fund the road.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-approves-spending-22-5m-to-build-a-new-road-for-two-new-warehouses-reportedly-for-amazon/

Tuesday night, Virginia Beach City Council voted 10-1 to approve a development agreement between the city and the Panattoni Development Company to move the project forward.

Construction could now begin before the end of the year on the combined 237 acres, which straddles both sides of Dam Neck Road near where it meets Harpers Road.

In total, the company behind the development is expected to invest more than $383 million and create more than 1,000 new jobs, according to the city. Those jobs will pay an average of $17 per hour at the large facility and $20 per hour at the 219,000-square-foot facility.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but planning commission approved an additional 176 units at the Southern Pines development.

IMG_3458.thumb.png.2c4ce578031fee3fb0a2112f1ec6b092.png
https://s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/virginia-beach-departments-docs/planning/Boards-Commissions/Planning-Commission/Staff-Reports/2023/PC-August-2023-Staff-Reports.pdf

There’s an affordable housing element, which I’m sure we will be seeing more of with the need for 2000+ Amazon workers in the near future 

• 1 month later...

City Politics | Proposed Virginia Beach apartment project is igniting a debate (pilotonline.com)

Suburban development but sharing for the quote from Mayor Dyer, pushing back against Barbara Henley's concerns over the density of the project:

“We’re setting a major precedent,” Henley said.

The mayor retorted.

“You’re 100% right Barbara. A precedent that may be in the direction that this council wants to go if we’re going to totally confront the housing situation.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm being mostly tongue-in-cheek here, but I find it interesting that the same city that can't wait to tear down a forest to build McMansions suddenly cares about preserving the agricultural district. You've already developed half of Pungo to look like Kempsville.

• Like 1

""Amazon will create more than 1,000 new jobs with the establishment of two new facilities in Virginia Beach: a multi-story robotics fulfillment center and a “last mile” delivery station. The new robotics fulfillment center is expected to launch operations in 2025, while the delivery station is expected to be in operation in time for the 2024 holiday season.""

Wells Fargo Invests $87M, Amazon Creates 1,000+ Jobs In Virginia (businessfacilities.com)   (2nd half of this story first have is a Wells Fargo expansion in Roanoke) 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Franklin Johnston Group's 176 unit apartment (incl. 53 affordable housing units) project approved by the planning commission on a 7-4 vote.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-planning-commission-recommends-approval-of-plan-for-apartments-in-southern-part-of-city/291-9dc76030-01f0-4fcd-8341-af6cf71e77f4

• 2 months later...

Here’s one of the projects Divaris alluded to awhile back: Former Governor Bob McDonnell pitching hotel concept for Oceanfront Dairy Queen property. “The concept included a 450-room hotel with conference meeting space and a parking garage.” The Pilot didn’t get a copy of the presentation in time for press so look for an update with additional details soon. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Saw this submitted on VB citizen access as a site plan. States a  new 112 room town place suites hotel at Pembroke office park. Based on the address. Looks like it's just South of the New Hyatt, I wonder if they are going to demolish that office building. 

Screenshot_20240118-231907.thumb.png.996fac2d2c2e1bbb236765f9a2d167d0.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Up2313 said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Saw this submitted on VB citizen access as a site plan. States a  new 112 room town place suites hotel at Pembroke office park. Based on the address. Looks like it's just South of the New Hyatt, I wonder if they are going to demolish that office building. 

It’ll be immediately west of Pembroke 1 where they’ve already torn down Pembroke 2. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Up2313 said:

I think we talked about this in another thread. I'll have to see if I can find it later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know if ZIM has completed its $30M renovation and expansion at Pembroke's Corporation Landing?  They purchased the building for $12M and had planned to relocate there by Spring 2024.

https://thalhimer.com/marketwatch/our-blog/corporate-center-v-sells-for-12mm-in-virginia-beach-to-zim/

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/zim-relocates-virginia-beach

• 3 weeks later...