Norfolk Development

vdogg

Feel free to post projects relating only to Norfolk here. If you have topics relating to peninsula development or anywhere in the metro outside of Va. Beach and Norfolk please post them in the Hampton Roads major projects thread :D .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtesy of Willy and Spark317 from SSP

ce-DTNorfolkprojects.jpg

A: Brambleton and Bute Apartments - two 7-story apartment buildings, 248 total units, rent $1,000 to $2,000/month

B: 14-story apartment building; site work underway (update 5/24/05:"It's a project still in the speculative stages. They would buy and develop the City-owned parking lot at the SW corner of Brambleton and

Duke." Thanks Okinawa :thumbsup: )

C: The Granby- A 31-story, 450ft tower, with a 100ft spire on top surrounded by 4-story buildings with 300 total condos selling from $250,000 to $2,000,000. Includes parking (wrapped around the building not under it) 17,000-square-feet of retail. Construction to begin January 2006 with the tower completed by summer 2007. A 4,000-square-foot sales pavilion, to be erected on a vacant lot at the intersection of Boush and Charlotte streets near the site of the proposed high rise, will have a decorated prototype home as well as touch screens where visitors can see floor plans and views. A grand opening for the sales pavilion is expected to take place in September. The website is now up Granby Tower

L_IMAGE.jpg

D: Federal Courthouse Expansion

E: 388 Boush Street - 6-story building with 100 condos and parking garage; currently under construction6f-boushcondosbig.jpg

F: The Tazewell Lots - 12-story building with first-floor offices, an urban market, and 77 condos selling from $160,000 to $450,000.

G: Tidewater Community College Administration Building - 16 to 18 story building to house consolidated and relocated administrative functions into a single location. (update: Demolition and site work is currently underway on this project)

tcchq.jpg

H: St. Paul's Place - 90-unit condos, currently under construction

I: Courts Building - 14- or 15-stories; approved (update:$85 million has been appropriated from the city budget towards construction of these facilities beginninig sometime in '06).

J: Office Tower - 35- to 40-stories; proposed

K: Trader Tower - 21-story headquarters of Trader Publishing (trader.com)

f8-TraderTower3.jpg (update:construction is currently underway on this project. Demolitions have been completed and site work has begun).

L: Hilton Hotel - 25+stories; to be built by Robert Johnson (update: Although no development agreement has been signed businesses have been informed to move by July 31, in preparation for the beginning of site work. Beecroft and Bull has already closed its doors and the Hilton lot is scheduled to close sometime mid june. There has been some dispute as to the height of this structure with very reliable souces all giving conflicting numbers (some say 16-18 floors while others say 25 is still possible). There is also the possibility of a condo component being added to this project. As yet there is no firm timetable on the beginning of construction).

M: Norfolk Conference Center - 60,000-square-feet; to be built in conjunction with the Hilton Hotel (update: $3 million has been appropriated from the city budget for design and construction. see above for project details)

N: Cruise Ship Terminal - 80,000-square-feet, $41 million project with construction to begin in December 2004 or January 2005; opens Fall 2006 (update: This project is currently under construction and is in its pile driving phase).

13-CruiseShipTermina.jpg

Other Norfolk projects not shown on aerial photo:

Arena

Norfolk City Council will hold a three-day retreat in February 2005 to discuss building a new downtown arena adjacent to Harbor Park stadium

Atlantic City Redevelopment

Multi-million dollar housing, commercial, and retail project. Harbor's Edge project (see below) is part of the project.45-fortnorfolkatlant.jpg

Bristol at Ghent

Several 5-story buildings with 268 apartments and 84 condos, includes a 5-story parking garage; $29 million project

Church Street Corridor

Revitalization of African-American centric community adjacent to downtown Norfolk. Multi-million and multi-year project. Includes renovation and re-opening of the Crispus Attucks Cultural Center (theater) in October 2004.bb-ChurchStreetCorri.jpg

Harbor's Edge

17-story retirement community in the Atlantic City project; $107 million; an opening planned for 2006

88-harborsedge.jpg

Light Rail

$199 million starter line in planning stages; concept and initial plan approved by Federal Transit Administration

Maglev Train

The nation's first maglev train in development at Old Dominion University. Infrastructure (tracks, stations, and cars) in constructed and in place8d-maglevarrivalb.jpg

New City Hall

Initial discussion for a new high-rise city hall building (perhaps 20- to 25-stories)

RISE Center (Research and Innovation to Support Empowerment) Technology Park

$60 million center at Norfolk State University to serve as an intergenerational, multipurpose education, and research facility to enable and promote applied technology development, business incubation, and economic development activities

68-NSURISECenter.jpg

University Village

$75 million housing and retail center at Old Dominion University.

88-ODUVillage.jpg

I can't wait to see that maglev train finally get into service after a nearly 2 year delay. As for the light-rail project, i wont lie, i am a skeptic plus I think it is an eyesore (based on what I saw with Philadelphia's light-rail system... ugly trains, lots of wires, etc)

On other news, I drove by the Trader construction site around early afternoon and it appears they are takin' a day off lol 'cause I didn't see anyone there much less any work being done. Honestly the site makes that part downtown looks like the old days just because it looked abandoned, dying, uprooted trees, just straight -up depressing compared to the surrounding area LOL.

Man I can't wait till I see 21-story high cranes hovering over that lot. I'm probably gonna walk by that site everyday after classes for the rest of semester (I'm a student at TCC's downtown campus) and just watch Trader "emerge" from the ground.

I wonder if it's safe to say that we can see a "mile-long" skyline in Norfolk over the next 10-20 years consisting of high-rise apartments and condos in Atlantic city/Fort Norfolk and extend to I-264/Harbor Park in Downtown.

I wonder if it's safe to say that we can see a "mile-long" skyline in Norfolk over the next 10-20 years consisting of high-rise apartments and condos in Atlantic city/Fort Norfolk and extend to I-264/Harbor Park in Downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's definately a possibility.

Just a quick recap for everyone:

Trader (21 stories): Under Construction

Harbor's Edge (17 stories): Under Construction

Cruise Ship Terminal: Under Construction

Harbor Heights (15 stories): Construction to begin in a couple weeks

Granby Towers (25,15 stories): Fall construction start

Hilton Hotel (25+ stories): rumored to start in the fall

Plus, has anyone gotten a look at the cruise ship terminal lately? I read that they have to stop construction whenever a ship comes, which must have to be a pain.

I think thats possible, but with developments occuring farther back in downtown, it will not be as elongated as it is now. Trader is back a couple streets behind where the main towers are lined up now, and Harbor Heights will be back even farther. And, Granby Towers will be WAY behind downtown, so it should be more "round" soon.

I think thats possible, but with developments occuring farther back in downtown, it will not be as elongated as it is now. Trader is back a couple streets behind where the main towers are lined up now, and Harbor Heights will be back even farther. And, Granby Towers will be WAY behind downtown, so it should be more "round" soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I don't think Downtown Norfolk will be THAT round. With the addition of the new Main Street Tower (currently Suntrust Bank's regional headquarters tower), Downtown's skyline did get "stretched". Plus it's complimented with it neighbors the World Trade Center and the 11-story Town Point Center so it doesn't look tacky in anyway. You are correct though, Trader's Tower will be further back from the main row of high-rises but it will fill in a large void of "unoccupied" airspace in the skyline but then again, it won't look out of place that much for too long when the hotel is constructed across the street which also I might add will likely be the last high-rise to be added along the line of high-rises on main street. Then I believe with Trader's addition being on City Hall Avenue may be the beginning of the "next wave" of high-rises in the coming future which would include a high-rise in place of the current site of the Kirn Memorial Library, a high-rise on the parking lot at the intersection of St. Paul's Blvd and City Hall Avenue and the proposed Norfolk Courts Tower across the street on a parking lot and wooded area beside the city jail. As for the Harbor heights and Granby dual-tower projects, they will be a little difficult to "mold" into the skyline. At least the AT&T tower will be next to Granby Towers so they won't look tacky either plus demolition on several buildings in front of the AT&T tower will leave an empty lot for a possible tower there in the future too. Add that to Harbor Heights and the possibility of taking down the former Union Mission building making space for another lot for a possible high rise tower and we'll be seeing an "L" shaped downtow lol!

Well I don't think Downtown Norfolk will be THAT round. With the addition of the new Main Street Tower (currently Suntrust Bank's regional headquarters tower), Downtown's skyline did get "stretched". Plus it's complimented with it neighbors the World Trade Center and  the 11-story Town Point Center so it doesn't look tacky in anyway. You are correct though, Trader's Tower will be further back from the main row of high-rises but it will fill in a large void of "unoccupied" airspace in the skyline but then again, it won't look out of place that much for too long when the hotel is constructed across the street which also I might add will likely be the last high-rise to be added along the line of high-rises on main street. Then I believe with Trader's addition being on City Hall Avenue may be the beginning of the "next wave" of high-rises in the coming future which would include a high-rise in place of the current site of the Kirn Memorial Library, a high-rise on the parking lot at the intersection of St. Paul's Blvd and City Hall Avenue and the proposed Norfolk Courts Tower across the street on a parking lot and wooded area beside the city jail. As for the Harbor heights and Granby dual-tower projects, they will be a little difficult to "mold" into the skyline. At least the AT&T tower will be next to Granby Towers so they won't look tacky either plus demolition on several buildings in front of the AT&T tower will leave an empty lot for a possible tower there in the future too. Add that to Harbor Heights and the possibility of taking down the former Union Mission building making space for another lot for a possible high rise tower and we'll be seeing an "L" shaped downtow lol!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder how the moving of a or two carriers will effect the growing of downtown or this entire area in general. I hope this area starts to build outside of the navy or the military in general. Not that I'm not pro military but in order for this area to become the metro that it needs we need to grow beyond the military. Alot of people will be offended by this but i don't mean bad things. We can never take what the military has done for this area. But it is time to grow beyond, and i hope that the moving of the carrier(s) group will not have a heavy impact on the area.

I wonder how the moving of a or two carriers will effect the growing of downtown or this entire area in general. I hope this area starts to build outside of the navy or the military in general. Not that I'm not pro military but in order for this area to become the metro that it needs we need to grow beyond the military. Alot of people will be offended by this but i don't mean bad  things. We can never take what the military has done for this area. But it is time to grow beyond, and i hope that the moving of the carrier(s) group will not have a heavy impact on the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be little to no effect on immediate downtown development. Most of the development is either do to pent up residential demand or companies already established in this area growing. Most of the companies downtown have little to no involvement with the military. The loss of one or even two carriers, while it will hurt, should be easily absorbed by our economy. The economy killer is base closings. If we lost one of our large bases that would put us dead in the water.

Oh yeah and they did an excellent job in renovating their Granby St. apartment building next door to the Federal Court house too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they are doing a great job on those old buildings and i just can't believe the demand that is out there, 10 years ago downtown was a ghost town and crime was really bad

While not a player in the high rise/big development arena, this company is a major player in downtown Norfolk redevelopment and one to be aware of:

http://www.thewrightsites.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think one of their projects, "The Lofts at 500," are accross the street and caddy-corner from the site of where the Granby Towers are going to be, and right accross E. Charlotte from Bodega and 456 Fish.

I saw a sign up on the building with that said something like "luxury condos for sale" and had a number to call.

Courtesy of Willy and Spark317 from SSP

F: The Tazewell Lots - 12-story building with first-floor offices, an urban market, and 77 condos selling from $160,000 to $450,000.

G: Tidewater Community College Administration Building - 15-story building to house consolidated and relocated administrative functions into a single location

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that these two things were the same project. Are they building something over that "homeless park" as well? I was under the impression that they would all be together where the d'art center now sits....

When the term "homeless park" came up, one site came to mind. There is an open space on Granby Street between TCC Norfolk's Martin building and the Norva where "community patrons" congregate. And by the way TCC Norfolk will be building a student center on that open spot. Construction is supposed to start sometime this spring.

When the term "homeless park" came up, one site came to mind.  There is an open space on Granby Street between TCC Norfolk's Martin building and the Norva where "community patrons" congregate.  And by the way TCC Norfolk will be building a student center on that open spot.  Construction is supposed to start sometime this spring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I go to that campus and let me say that has got to be incorrect as well as this information: "F: The Tazewell Lots - 12-story building with first-floor offices, an urban market, and 77 condos selling from $160,000 to $450,000.

G: Tidewater Community College Administration Building - 15-story building to house consolidated and relocated administrative functions into a single location"

Those two projects are one now and are known as Harbor Heights. 17 floors, 40,000 sq ft G.W. Market upscale grocery store, additional specialty shops, approx. 120 condos, office space and TCC Administrative offices occupying 2 floors.

The park will remain open and I believe the student center will be located in the vacated spaces in the Andrews TCC building. If construction was going to take place on that lot, I'm sure all staff and all students including myself would already be notified that we would lose a spot that we regularly use for our convenience.

Archived