Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not necessarily, I go to TCC downtown,  although i just dropped my class yesterday, I really don't hear too much about the development. Nothing downtown is a done deal and i did hear they are going to still build a student center at the bum park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know,... I think it would be a mistake to build something on that park. Building on it will take away a feature that colleges and university's try to have in one way or form and that is open space when walking around campus. Building on that park too will restrict pedestrian traffic between Granby and MacArthur Center. Really that park was a special "gateway" for those who ventured outside MacArthur's walls.

Well I should not have said "homeless park" but I guess a few people who have spent a large amount of time around TCC know where I meant. Anyway I am hoping that they do not build on that lot and try instead to build buildings where there are "holes" for parking lots and such first.

Speaking of the homeless though, that brings me to another subject: What's going on with the Union Mission? Does anyone know if they are going to sell the building there and what will go in? Will they build something on the back parking lot? I am sure that it will be turned into housing or hotel of some sort, I can't imagine that building being torn down. When is all of this supposed to happen?

Well I should not have said "homeless park" but I guess a few people who have spent a large amount of time around TCC know where I meant.  Anyway I am hoping that they do not build on that lot and try instead to build buildings where there are "holes" for parking lots and such first. 

Speaking of the homeless though, that brings me to another subject:  What's going on with the Union Mission?  Does anyone know if they are going to sell the building there and what will go in?  Will they build something on the back parking lot?  I am sure that it will be turned into housing or hotel of some sort, I can't imagine that building being torn down.  When is all of this supposed to happen?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The union mission will be selling to the city and moving. I forget where they're moving to but there was an article about it not too long ago. The city plans on using the current site for temporary space when the construction of the new courts complex begins.

The union mission will be selling to the city and moving. I forget where they're moving to but there was an article about it not too long ago. The city plans on using the current site for temporary space when the construction of the new courts complex begins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they plan to move to the northeastern edge of downtown. As for the current building, I think it needs a facelift.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The plan is for the Union Mission to move to the old Virginia Natural Gas complex on Virginia Beach Blvd. It is a totally enclosed piece of property with a complex of buildings that is quite nice. It is also close by the Salvation Army facility at the corner of Virginia Beach blvd and Raby Road, and almost across the street from a Virginia Employment Commission office. For those who may not know this is roughly in the middle of Norfolk, located about 1-2 miles west of the Military Circle/Janaf Shooping Center area and adjacent to (off the southeast corner) the Norfolk Industrial Park, which is roughly bounded by Virginia Beach Blvd. on the south, Azalea Garden Rd. on the east, East Princess Anne Rd. on the north, and Ingleside Rd. on the west.

I have not heard of any plans for the Union Mission Building but the building is a beauty and I hope the interior is about to be restored to condo's or apartments. The Union Mission parking lot at the corner of Boush and Tazewell will be right opposite the entrance to the Harbor Heights market, so that is a critical piece of property that I am sure will attract a high level of interest.

The park will remain open and I believe the student center will be located in the vacated spaces  in the Andrews TCC building. If construction was going to take place on that lot, I'm sure all staff and all students including myself would already be notified that we would lose a spot that we regularly use for our convenience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know,... I think it would be a mistake to build something on that park. Building on it will take away a feature that colleges and university's try to have in one way or form and that is open space when walking around campus. Building on that park too will restrict pedestrian traffic between Granby and MacArthur Center. Really that park was a special "gateway" for those who ventured outside MacArthur's walls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My source concering Harbor Heights is reliable and the student center in the park is going to happen. I thought the student center would take up all the space in the park at first until I saw the plan. Access between Granby and Monticello will remain. I believe it is going to work well for the students of TCC as well as the general public. An official announcement will come, but all in due time.

I heard that TCC will be expanding the building next to the park and i guess they will leave a walk way from monticello  to granby

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as some of that park remains for a pedestrians to walk between MacArthur and Granby the I think it will be fine. I just don't want to lose something that "invites" guests to go to MacArthur from Granby and vice-versa.

Don't worry.  There will be a walkway.  TCC recognizes how important it is to the city to keep a pedestrian connection between Granby and Monticello.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could walk a little bit more and there is a street about 50 ft away. Students usually walk through another TCC building to through to granby anways

Isn't it amazing how a street in downtown that is only 1/4 of a mile long holds 10% of the entire regions deposits?! Even crazier, it's amazing that there is a market on that same street big enough to support 9 banks! I'm surprised these execs and board members aren't spying on each other through their office windows to one-up on each other lol! I wonder how much bigger that 10% share that downtown holds will get when all the residential projects are completed and Trader's 1,600 employees move in :whistling:

Isn't it amazing how a street in downtown that is only 1/4 of a mile long holds 10% of the entire regions deposits?! Even crazier, it's amazing that there is a market on that same street big enough to support 9 banks! I'm surprised these execs and board members aren't spying on each other through their office windows to one-up on each other lol! I wonder how much bigger that 10% share that downtown holds will get when all the residential projects are completed and Trader's 1,600 employees move in :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think downtowns about ready to take off in the commercial sector as well. It really seems like they're finally starting to get critcal mass here.

Published: Feb 28, 2005

Modified: Feb 28, 2005 6:33 PM

Lessons from Norfolk's downtown revival

* Making downtown a fun place to be will create a work environment that attracts employers.

* What seems like an overnight success often takes decades. The seeds of Norfolk's thriving downtown were sown in the 1970s.

* There's no magic bullet: No convention center, museum or campaign to keep the streets clean will bring downtown back all by itself. It takes all of them and more.

* Government doesn't have to wait for private developers to come back downtown. At one point in the 1980s, Norfolk's redevelopment and housing agency owned two-thirds of the land downtown. It worked with private developers and on its own to fill it with stores, parks and attractions.

* Mistakes can be fixed -- once you recognize them. Like Raleigh, Norfolk turned its main commercial street into a pedestrian mall in the 1970s. Norfolk reopened the street to traffic about a decade later when city officials saw that it wasn't bringing people back.

It always was but the other cities were trying to become the core.
The key word here is "trying". True, Va. Beach city council will never accept or acknowledge Norfolk as the urban core of Hampton Roads no matter who or what comes to DT. But it will be easy for an outsider to see what city is the urban core and what city is not.

i just wish we would unite as one. History tells if you work together you will be a stronger force to fight for the area. I just don't forsee this ever happening. I understand if we were fighting against anothere metro area not are own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To do so would require a fundamental change in the attitude of every single city in this area. Short of some spectacular event bringing this about, I don't see it happening in the next 100 years. I think that bringing back the county structure, say making this Norfolk County and putting the 7 cities underneath that umbrella, would do a lot to facilitate unification.

To do so would require a fundamental change in the attitude of every single city in this area. Short of some spectacular event bringing this about, I don't see it happening in the next 100 years. I think that bringing back the county structure, say making this Norfolk County and putting the 7 cities underneath that umbrella, would do a lot to facilitate unification.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THis will never happen, There were two counties on the southside and they became multiple cities. Norfolk County and Princess Anne County they will never revert back to that.

Archived