Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm...interesting.  You wouldn't be connected to the Granby towers project at all, would you? I talked to someone at the developers office the other day and they said they are currently working on a website and that it would be up in fairly short order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder when they will really start on this project i know the change had to put them back a little bit. Any new news on the Trader project? Any new news at all about downtown?

I wonder when they will really start on this project i know the change had to put them back a little bit. Any new news on the Trader project? Any new news at all about downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None yet, I think were all just in a holding pattern for the Hilton project, lol.. ***taps foot*** "any day now" :whistling:

None yet, I think were all just in a holding pattern for the Hilton project, lol..  ***taps foot*** "any day now"  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's funny hopefully it will be a worth the wait and it will be tall. I hope one of these days we will see buildings into the 60's-80's floors. It would be great. Don't know if it will ever happen.

lol, i've thought that myself. Not trying to be cynical but i've always wondered if they'd actually do something like that just for show.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello everyone, another die hard Hampton Roadster here!

I think downtown Norfolk is the next Charlotte just waiting to happen.

The cruise terminal will definitely have an impact on the next wave of development downtown. I can see a major hotel such as a Westin being constructed to help handle the demand that will surely increase once this terminal is up and functional.

The downtown plaza site has tremendous potential for major development and I would love to see a couple of condominiums there along with a nice plaza with upscale shopping. I believe that a signature tower could be built in the parking lot across from the new courts complex and there was talk of a possible tower there next to the courts complex. I remember reading a couple years back about the new parking garage on main street and how it's possible that it could support a building atop of it.

Finallly, Brambleton ave. could be a real gateway into the city and I would love to see this area take off with some highrises and perhaps a fortune 500 signature gracing the landscape there. A bank headquarters would be a nice fit there as well. I understand that Virginia Natural Gas company is vacating it's land for the move of the Union Mission but where are they going? Hopefully, they could anchor another tower downtown like Dominion Power does in downtown Richmond.

Hello everyone, another die hard Hampton Roadster here!

I think downtown Norfolk is the next Charlotte just waiting to happen.

The cruise terminal will definitely have an impact on the next wave of development downtown. I can see a major hotel such as a Westin being constructed to help handle the demand that will surely increase once this terminal is up and functional.

The downtown plaza site has tremendous potential for major development and I would love to see a couple of condominiums there along with a nice plaza with upscale shopping. I believe that a signature tower could be built in the parking lot across from the new courts complex and there was talk of a possible tower there next to the courts complex. I remember reading a couple years back about the new parking garage on main street and how it's possible that it could support a building atop of it.

Finallly, Brambleton ave. could be a real gateway into the city and I would love to see this area take off with some highrises and perhaps a fortune 500 signature gracing the landscape there. A bank headquarters would be a nice fit there as well. I understand that Virginia Natural Gas company is vacating it's land for the move of the Union Mission  but where are they going? Hopefully, they could anchor another tower downtown like Dominion Power does in downtown Richmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you the same kharden from the pilotonline forums? I see you post over there all the time, you're always saying good stuff about this area. It's good to have you here. I have tried several times to sign up to that forum but they don't like free email accounts over there so i can't. Welcome to the forum!

p.s. you've just given me a great idea for a thread, i'll post it soon. :thumbsup:

Are you the same kharden from the pilotonline forums? I see you post over there all the time, you're always saying good stuff about this area. It's good to have you here. I have tried several times to sign up to that forum but they don't like free email accounts over there so i can't. Welcome to the forum!

p.s. you've just given me a great idea for a thread, i'll post it soon. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same one Vdogg!

You have a lot of people on that board that are anti everything when it comes to developmental issues. I must say that you are one of my favorite people on these boards! I haven't been able to register on other boards so this is great.

I can't wait to see what you have planned for a new topic. Make it a good one :D

Same one Vdogg!

You have a lot of people on that board that are anti everything when it comes to developmental issues. I must say that you are one of my favorite people on these boards!  I haven't been able to register on other boards so this is great.

I can't wait to see what you have planned for a new topic. Make it a good one  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Done. It's called "If you were mayor". You were tossing out so many ideas on what you thought should be done with the city that i wanted to expand on that. It's always interesting to get other peoples take on what direction our area should go in is. Everyone (including myself) always complains about the direction this area is going in but nobody ever offers any solutions. Nows your chance. :)

Done. It's called "If you were mayor". You were tossing out so many ideas on what you thought should be done with the city that i wanted to expand on that. It's always interesting to get other peoples take on what direction our area should go in is. Everyone (including myself) always complains about the direction this area is going in but nobody ever offers any solutions. Nows your chance.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please don't get me going like that Vdogg :P

I emailed a sales person for Harbor Heights, and I asked about construction start and height. She said that construction should start in May sometime and the height will be 14 stories (huh??). Hopefully she was just talking about the condos themselves and not the market and TCC, because we were told that Harbor Heights will be 17 stories. I'm thinking she just meant the condos, and didn't include TCC (+2 floors) and the Urban Market (+1 floor) which is 17 floors. Cause 14 is even less than our paper reported.

They are doing daily work on the Trader building.  They have to put in nearly a 1000 pilings (sp?) before anything major happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1000 pilings? Umm, how do you expect to have a ground floor with a 1000 pilings sticking out of the ground? I remember when they were building the SunTrust Tower on Main St. in front of Nauticus, I never saw anywhere near 1000 pilings on that plot of land when construction first started.

Maybe the hold up is from Norfolk itself. Didn't they say they would pay 80% of the cost to move a utility or sewer line? It could be that 'cause I havent seen much in the way of moving things underground. hmmm...

(I don't get why they don't count Fedricksburg as a city when their population is over 900,000)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

woahhh fredericksburg definitely does not have 900,000 people. Spotsylvania county has only around 110,000 people, which is the county in which fredericksburg sits. unless there is some hidden monster of a downtown somewhere, there is no way there is 900,000 people there. I know it may seem like that if you are on 95 at 5pm on a weekday coming south but still.

woahhh fredericksburg definitely does not have 900,000 people. Spotsylvania county has only around 110,000 people, which is the county in which fredericksburg sits. unless there is some hidden monster of a downtown somewhere, there is no way there is 900,000 people there. I know it may seem like that if you are on 95 at 5pm on a weekday coming south but still.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we sure about this? I believe D.C. metro has about 5 million and due to it's proximity Fredericksburg and its surrounding areas may have about 900,000. Of course Fredericksburg itself does not, but maybe he's counting some of the surrounding areas. At either rate, i'm about to do a google search to find out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I know what I'm talking about but MAYBE I may be getting my county names mixed up. I referring to a county/area not a city or name specifically. I'm referring to to a county in northern Va when I met up with some of my sister's friends. They themselves have told me that their population is pretty big though not so dense in the way of having an area full of nothing but highrises. Their population is really up there because I read it numerous times in some books and some newspaper articles when I monitored MacArthur Center's construction years. Really when I said 900,000, I was being conservative because last time I read those newpapers mentioning the area up there, the population was listed somewhere 930,000. I'm going to try to take the time to find all that info and reconfirm all that when I find it. I've kept so many newspapers during MacArthur's construction years somewhere in my attic, I'll whatever I find hopefully soon.

btw: a population of 900,000 doesn't necessarily require a downtown.

No I know what I'm talking about but MAYBE I may be getting my county names mixed up. I referring to a county/area not a city or name specifically. I'm referring to to a county in northern Va when I met up with some of my sister's friends. They themselves have told me that their population is pretty big though not so dense in the way of having an area full of nothing but highrises. Their population is really up there because I read it numerous times in some books and some newspaper articles when I monitored MacArthur Center's construction years. Really when I said 900,000, I was being conservative because last time I read those newpapers mentioning the area up there, the population was listed somewhere 930,000. I'm going to try to take the time to find all that info and reconfirm all that when I find it. I've kept so many newspapers during MacArthur's construction years somewhere in my attic, I'll whatever I find hopefully soon.

btw: a population of 900,000 doesn't necessarily require a downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Northern Va has alot of land area to sprawl out from DC. So 900,000 really isn't that big compared to the land we are dealing with we are locked by the ocean. The airports you were comparing are two of the biggest cities in the country. that is why 2 airports work. Their air traffic is insain as well. We need one big airport instead of 2 small ones. I don't care where they put it just build it. We do things so backwards its ridiculous. On another note the french shipping companies north american hq is almost finished

I think you're talking about Fairfax County. The pop. is well over 1 million and 395 sq. miles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YESS!!!! that is what I am referring to! I just got my names wrong. I know everyone is about to jump on me about it not counting because it is 395 sq miles but the way I see it, that is comparable to the southside region alone.

Archived