Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

I think they are complaining because they are wanting to build a 6 lane road on the bridge but not the rest of the road. But they would be smart to start some where and why not the bridge that is falling apart. These people are everywhere that complain and don't understand why their complaining works in this region so much and everywhere else they get drowned out and the project goes through?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The city actually tries to think ahead for once. If your going to have to build the bridge why not build it with the capacity to expand. That way in the future when the road is expanded (which it will be no matter what problems anyone might have with it.) the bridge won't have to be replaced after five years of service. Some people just have to find anything to complain about.

Hampton council backs widening HRBT

Councilman Gilliland wants city councils, not the regional planning commission, to decide the issue.

HAMPTON -- City Council members are united in at least one thing: Widening the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel makes more sense than adding lanes to the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel.

The council, which in recent months has been divided by the firing of former city manager George Wallace, vowed Wednesday to push for widening the busier crossing from the Peninsula to South Hampton Roads when the region adopts a long-range highway construction plan in June.....

Resto Story

Hampton council backs widening HRBT

Councilman Gilliland wants city councils, not the regional planning commission, to decide the issue.

HAMPTON -- City Council members are united in at least one thing: Widening the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel makes more sense than adding lanes to the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel.

The council, which in recent months has been divided by the firing of former city manager George Wallace, vowed Wednesday to push for widening the busier crossing from the Peninsula to South Hampton Roads when the region adopts a long-range highway construction plan in June.....

Resto Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish that would happen. They need to add two lanes to each side, and norfolk would have to widen the interstate on the other side that would be great.

Widening an already existing tunnel would be quite an engineering feat. I was under the impression that the reason engineers had ruled out widening the tunnel was due to the difficulty involved in accomplishing such a task. Up til now it has always been thought it would be easier and cheaper to build a new one. I'm really wondering if this is a feasible plan. I'm sure VDOT or someone else will come out in the coming weeks with a study that contradicts the cost they came up with.

you could drop a tube on each side for the additional lanes. That is what they are talking about doing next to the Monitor and Merrimack

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but this is not in effect "widening" the tunnel so to speak which is the way i read the article. Talking to the engineers here at work they said that "widening" the existing tunnel, while not impossible, would be prohibitively expensive. Now if the Hampton people are talking about dropping additional tubes next to the existing HRBT i could see how they may have gotten a lower figure than doing the same thing over at MMBT.

That's right you work @ VDOT. What are they really talking about then, Hampton that is? Widening or dropping more tubes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dropping. Widening would just be ridiculous. They stand about a snowballs chance in hell of getting what they want anyway because its pretty much full steam ahead on the third crossing proposal, which looks like it will be privately built.

I think the main reason for the third crossing is the new marine terminal. It has a very big influence on that crossing. When would they start construction on that crossing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on which plans you look at, the projections vary widely. Some propose it could start by the end of next year; some start in late 2007 or beyond. It all depends on the proposal. I'll have to trudge through dailypress.com and look for it lol.

I would like to see some of the rendering of what is proposed. I think Vdogg will see something before the papers show anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already have but if i were to post it here i'd probably lose my job. That being said i'm pretty sure that the plans for the third crossing such as routes that may be taken have already been reported in the pilot. There are really only 2 major designs out now anyway. One with toll and one without. The main difference between the designs is how 564 is incorporated into this project and exactly what point on 664 this structure will connect to.

Depending on which plans you look at, the projections vary widely.  Some propose it could start by the end of next year; some start in late 2007 or beyond.  It all depends on the proposal.  I'll have to trudge through dailypress.com and look for it lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's highly doubtful it would start that early. We're looking at a 10-15 year timescale with the design phase taking about 5 years itself. There really is a lot that goes into building these structures.

Haven't they been designing this for a while now, correct? I thought VDOT said they have to have the design in by this winter..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: . Designing this stuff takes a long time, and even when they say they have a design they don't. I wouldn't hold your breath. This entire process is gonna take a while.

:rofl: . Designing this stuff takes a long time, and even when they say they have a design they don't. I wouldn't hold your breath. This entire process is gonna take a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both of the proposals show the time line with a notice to proceed in 2007 and actuall island construction starting in 2008. The bridges themselves wouldn't even start till I believe 2010. So far everything has been running on time. Supposedly we should hear something about this if they decide to do it some time early next year, right?

Both of the proposals show the time line with a notice to proceed in 2007 and actuall island construction starting in 2008.  The bridges themselves wouldn't even start till I believe 2010.  So far everything has been running on time.  Supposedly we should hear something about this if they decide to do it some time early next year, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they decided to do it early next year you better believe you'd hear about it. It would be front page news. You hit the timeline right on the head. 2010 start is what i've been told with about a 5 year construction period (more likely 5-10) which would bring us to about 2015. That is if everything goes smoothly and there are no delays ( :rofl: ). As i said, expect a 10-15 year timeframe on this. I'm as eager to see this done as the next person but those of you expecting this to be well underway by 2007 may be in for some disappointment. Also, the third crossing won't be constructed all at once but rather it will open in stages.

I will believe you especially since you work @ VDOT. I know roads take along time. Won't it be a little different with private money? There shouldn't be as much politics going on with the construction right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thats the only thing that makes it possible this century actually, lol. They will definately be faster than it would have been if this were a public venture. That being said, it is still a difficult process. All this talk about private funding is still not a done deal.

There have been private companies who have submitted proposals but none has been picked as of yet and it hasn't even been finally decided that private construction is the direction they are gonna take although it is the most likely route.

I think thats the only thing that makes it possible this century actually, lol. They will definately be faster than it would have been if this were a public venture. That being said, it is still a difficult process. All this talk about private funding is still not a done deal.

There have been private companies who have submitted proposals but none has been picked as of yet and it hasn't even been finally decided that private construction is the direction they are gonna take although it is the most likely route.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will tolls be included in one of these privately funded ventures?

Hampton Roads Third Crossing

What's being done

The Hampton Roads Third Crossing Study was initiated in late 1993 to investigate methods of improving mobility across Hampton Roads and relieving congestion at the Interstate 64 Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.

Features

Several alternatives were considered in selecting a crossing design. The Commonwealth Transportation board reviewed these Corridors in 1997 and selected Corridor 9. Corridor 9 involves the following:

* Widening I-664 in Newport News to eight lanes

* Constructing two new tubes parallel to the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, adding four more lanes for travel

* Constructing an additional new multimodal tube to add transit/rail lines from the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel to near the Norfolk Naval Station

* Adding a new four-lane highway connector from the new bridge tunnel to the Western Freeway in Portsmouth

* Widening I-664 to six lanes from the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel to the Bowers Hill interchange

Benefits

* Reduces congestion in the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel by 17 percent

* Addresses existing and future origin and destination patterns

* Improves total mobility across Hampton Roads

* Provides new access to Norfolk International Terminals and Naval Base

* Improves access to the Newport News Marine Terminal and Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company

* Improves access to the Portsmouth Marine Terminal and Portsmouth Naval facilities

* Connects to existing expressways on the Peninsula and Southside

Project Status

A Final Environmental Impact Statement was prepared in 2000 evaluating the impact of building a new crossing of Hampton Roads.

In 2002, the General Assembly offered a ballot referendum involving a 1 percent increase in sales tax throughout the region to fund six new projects, including the Third Crossing. The referendum failed.

VDOT is still looking for ways to fund this project and several others in the Hampton Roads region. There is no funding in the foreseeable future.

Background