Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

From the Daily Press: (the article will probably be password protected soon, so read it now.)

http://www.dailypress.com/news/traffic/exclusive/dp-nws-evg-amtrak-peninsula-20121129,0,595622.story

Newport News officials are currently negotiating with a contractor to begin design of a multimodal station that could be located on Bland Avenue, across from Newport News-Williamsburg International Airport, said Michael King, the city's manager of community planning.

According to the city's official Request for Proposals, the intent is to build a "first class passenger rail facility" with airport-style ticketing counters, extended lobby with business class amenities, office space, restrooms and retail space. Other features will include level boarding platforms for both Amtrak and future light rail transit, a bus transfer center, airport shuttles, taxis, short and long-term parking and bicycle/pedestrian accommodations. The project will also include a downtown Newport News multimodal transit center to provide services to military personnel, shipyard employees and area residents.

King said a commuter rail line from Williamsburg to downtown Newport News is another possibility.

Emphasis is mine.

So, NN is planning for light rail. If they could only solve that little problem called the Chesapeake Bay.  :P

Edited by jeffconn

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a link below to a Q&A session about the new Amtrak service that is upcoming to DC. Tickets are only $19 one way good through the end of the month though it has some black out days. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/chat-replay-amtrak-service-norfolk

Also, posted below is a guide to riding the train.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/ready-ride-amtrak-norfolk-heres-guide

I just wish it were a little faster. The article states it takes almost 5 hours to get there and by car I have gotten there 3 1/2 hours if traffic is moving. The train's average speed is 45 mph until you get to Richmond where it speeds up. I'm still glad it's coming though. Hopefully over time departure times and speeds might improve. 

Edited by urbanvb

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Can you imagine trains from HR to DC in less than an hour and 40 minutes? According to one man it's plausible but according to Va officials it's too optimistic. A group, Virginians for High Speed Rail, wants to connect HR to a planned multistate corridor which trains can run as fast as 110 mph. We really need faster trains up to DC if rail is going to really take off. I am glad for what we have but having only one train run during the day which leaves at 5:30am (or thereabouts) is really not feasible for many

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/va-official-highspeed-rail-study-may-be-too-optimistic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.dailypress.com/news/traffic/dp-nws-peninsula-transit-corridor-study-20140512,0,2660600.story

if the study receives state funding, HRT will issue a request for proposals and hire a consulting firm to conduct the corridor analysis, setting the stage for required environmental impact studies. If a proposal is approved by the HRT Commission, the two cities and the Federal Transit Administration, next steps would include conducting the environmental studies, pursuing permits and applying for federal grant funding for construction.

Smith said the key is to answer the question, "How are we going to be able to help people get around the peninsula?"

"If we don't take the steps … we could be 20 years from now looking back and saying, why didn't we do something different."

• 1 year later...

USDOT is offering $40 million to the most innovative mid-sized city proposing technological solutions to move people and goods.  Based on the criteria cited in this article, Norfolk, Va Beach, or maybe even Chesapeake could qualify.  Get your creative juices flowing, get a coalition together, and draft a proposal!  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/dept-of-transportation-offers-40m-prize-to-most-innovative-mid-size-city/2015/12/07/a08656f6-9d1b-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html

the only project that i dont like other than LRT when there is monorail as a viable option is the one aubrey layne mentioned in a pilot article today.  It wont work just like HOV doesn't work and if they want to free up some state money they just need to stop spending it and quit with the tolls.

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/transportation-secretary-wants-high-occupancy-toll-lanes-studied-for-hampton/article_91b3368b-d78f-5e5f-981e-1363724786aa.html

I agree with you on the toll lanes. Didn't see where they got much use in D.C. Or even in Dallas when I Was there this past week during the height of rush hour. The only way I'd support this is if the lanes are new, added, capacity and not the conversion of existing HOV lanes.

• 2 months later...

An interesting read in the Pilot. 

Does Hampton Roads want millennials? Region needs better transit system, research says.

John Atkinson, VB city treasurer, who is against LR, says Millennials should move to Norfolk if they want public transportation. <_< Seriously?

Just now, urbanvb said:

An interesting read in the Pilot. There are some good ideas from the Southeastern Institute of Research. 

Does Hampton Roads want millennials? Region needs better transit system, research says.

John Atkinson, VB city treasurer, who is against LR, says Millennials should move to Norfolk if they want public transportation. <_< Seriously?

Stuff like this is why this area can never reach the next level. I think this guy needs to take a look at his city's population.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Norfolk will welcome the millennials with open arms. The more, the merrier.

• 2 months later...

Raleigh to Norfolk interstate given the number I-87.  http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article79890487.html

All of the press I've seen on this has been from North Carolina.  Are leaders in Virginia (local, regional, state) saying much about this?  I'm curious if VDOT will upgrade US 17 in southern Chesapeake to interstate standards or try to tie this into the southern end of the Chesapeake Expressway somehow (probably too much environmental/land acquisition to try that).  Either way, I suppose you could run the I-87 designation up onto what is now I-464 and terminate it at the Berkley Bridge.  

21 hours ago, lammius said:

Raleigh to Norfolk interstate given the number I-87.  http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article79890487.html

All of the press I've seen on this has been from North Carolina.  Are leaders in Virginia (local, regional, state) saying much about this?  I'm curious if VDOT will upgrade US 17 in southern Chesapeake to interstate standards or try to tie this into the southern end of the Chesapeake Expressway somehow (probably too much environmental/land acquisition to try that).  Either way, I suppose you could run the I-87 designation up onto what is now I-464 and terminate it at the Berkley Bridge.  

In a recent report talking about dominion boulevard, upgrading to an interstate was mentioned several times. No timetable though.

EDIT: Also, here's a quote from the second article NFKJeff posted: "I-87 will eventually begin at the I-64/I-464 interchange in Chesapeake following U.S. 17 into North Carolina."

I remember a few months ago there was considerable push by Virginia Congressmen/Senators to get the Interstate part of the transportation bill passed since it would include this connector.

Edited by Arctic_Tern

• 1 month later...

I know that they say it will take 20 years, but it could get fast tracked somehow. The first step IMHO is to go ahead and rename I464 as I87 from the DT tunnel to Cedar Rd. Then VDOT and Chesapeake need to transform the rest of US17 in Virginia as an Interstate all the way to the NC line. 

• 3 months later...

I never in my life thought I'd see this level of regional cooperation in Hampton Roads. Well done. There is hope for this area yet. :)

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/hampton-roads-transportation-board-recommends-hrbt-be-expanded-to-lanes/article_a3d02807-7daf-57f3-9880-7e3c00f9b91e.html

"

The Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization voted unanimously Thursday to recommend widening the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel from four to six lanes.

The project, known as Alternative A, is one of four alternatives proposed to fix congestion at the tunnel and Interstate 64 under the Hampton Roads Water Crossing study.

Alternative A was the cheapest – $4 billion – and smallest of the proposals.

Under the plan, the expanded HRBT would open in 2024."

• 1 year later...