Buildings You Want Torn Down

doormanpoet

Wow, dmp, I didn't until you just mentioned it. That along with the old Mario's, too.

And do you remember the old Classic Cat on Broadway across from the Trailways station. It was up on some stilty looking old building.

And, do you remember the Capitol Chevrolet/E.G.Smith Rolls Royce dealer that was where the convention center is?

Just for fun, I remembe a particular 1963 visit, and even at 10 years old, I was impressed with the $18,000 price tag on a Rolls and even more impressed with the new Sting Ray Corvette which tagged out at a whopping $3600...right out of outer space, I thought.

Oh well, memory lane...getting longer all the time. lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacksonian was indeed a loss. The Jacksonian name lives on in a building further down West End. The design is like the old one, if the bricks were the same color there would be little difference except that the funk factor is missing. It's very expensive condos instead of apartments for the non-rich. It's very nice, but even the replacement can't replace what was lost there. Luckily, for the block, the old "Holiday Inn" apartments behind it will be replaced with a 10-story condo sometime int he future. I miss the Jack, too.

I do remember the Sam Davis. There was something infinately fascinating by the seediness, but it's time had come. The parking garage for the new downtown library is there.

The Doctor's Building is in good shape. It houses offices and a couple of trendy cafes and salons. Next door the Bennie Dillon is urban apartments and is very nice.

The Harvey's Building lives on.

The Tennessee Building was a tragedy, but no, it's not a parking lot. It's the site of The Cumberland, a 23-story apartment tower. It's not an architectural marvel at all, but it is nice and has helped initiate an urban renaissance and the rebirth of Church Street.

It seems it's time for you to come on down and visit, Voodoo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

honestly im glad they were able to lift the historic marker off the building and demolish it. it was a very nice building, but the new summit building is paving the way for a nice skyscraper district. kind of like houstons uptown. now that they have the 100% go ahead, others have announced plans to build 20+ story buildings in midtown which include 8 20+ story condo buildings. So it helped development out a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out that one problem if the JRA were torn down and a building replaced it is that the only entrance to the back dock for the hotel and the convention center is the small surface lot between the JRA and the old Mcquiddy Building. It is so close to the hotel, that a demolition would be expensive and risky.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stiener Liff scrap yard is not a building but it more than tops my list.  Its a eye sore that IMO hurts the citys immage as much or more than anything else downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This site is amazingly disgusting!!! I dont know why it wasnt destroyed long ago. I dont know why it was even built!!! :sick:

The James Robertson Apartments have raised their rent from $20 a month to $40 a month. They have raised the age requirement from 55 to 62. Those already there will be grandfathered in.

THEY NEED TO TURN THIS INTO LOFTS!

I would love to have a downtown apartment for $40 a month! How about you guys? :angry:

This site is amazingly disgusting!!! I dont know why it wasnt destroyed long ago. I dont know why it was even built!!!  :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard the guy that owns the property is pretty dead set on not selling it. I believe they tried to buy it when they built the coliseum and he wouldn't sell. I've also heard that in order to put anything else on the sight 20 feet of dirt would have to be hauled off and new dirt be brought in in its place since oil and other toxic fluids have seeped deep into the ground for years and years. I'm not sure how true it is though. I think its a good spot for a new convention center and more parking for football games and sounds games.

Archived