The Evil Empire (aka Wal-mart) Is At It Again

Miesian Corners

After reading an article in Monday's Washington Post (link below), I grow even more angry at the power of the "great retailer". Wal-Mart will stop at nothing to drive their brand of capitalism down the throats of consumers nationwide, regardless of what governments or residents say or want.

Wal-Mart May Dodge Size Restrictions

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that sucks, who needs that big of a store?, And who came up with building super wal marts, because Wal Mart just plain stinks, because no one wants to get clothes and food at the same time!, and part of that blame also applies to super-targets too.

Well Walmart is a win/lose cituation thee food is cheaper than the non-supercenter stores so u save money but depending on the size of the city it may hurt the economy. Why do u ppl hate on Walmart its for the true working class and those of us who dont want to spend all-day driving from store to store getting things that we could get in one place. Its quick,cheap, and convienent its great for the true working class thats why so many people go there. If u have more money and time then go to another store and spend a dollar more. Also Publix is a good store to shop at back in Florida i went there every once in a while thats the only place i went to to shop for food besides Walmart. But here in Texas they dont got Publix or maybe its just Dallas so i go to Wal Mart all the time. :P But when it comes to small towns that are mostly small businesses Walmart should stay away.

Well Walmart is a win/lose cituation thee food is cheaper than the non-supercenter stores so u save money but depending on the size of the city it may hurt the economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They don't destroy it so much as radically alter it. There are alot of stores that tag along with walmart centers.

They don't destroy it so much as radically alter it. There are alot of stores that tag along with walmart centers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea thats true but Walmart is where you can get cheap things in one stop though i would never buy their cheap ass shoes or CD's because the fundamentalists made them all edited so i go elsewhere but most of my music i download off the interenet anyway. Otherwise for food/some electronics its good to buy there.

Here's the real problem with Wal-Mart...the American consumer who's God given right is the ability to purchase the cheapest goods and then complain miserably about the loss of American jobs to Asia.

Don't Blame Wal-Mart

By ROBERT B. REICH

Published: February 28, 2005

The New York Times

Berkeley, Calif.

• 4 months later...

I'm absolutely no fan of Wal-Mart. However, I find it ironic that it gets so much criticism. Do you realize that in the late 1800's Sears and Montgomery Ward rolled out the first mail order catalogs and Marshall Field began expanding throughout the midwest. Guess what people said? They decried it as an abomination that would destroy small towns and corrupt the moral fabric of America. Yet the U.S. survived. In the 1920's Woolworth began expanding rapidly and the first supermarkets like A&P began spreading throughout the country. Guess what people said? The same litany about ruining small town america along with exploiting workers, ruining culture, etc., etc. The U.S. still survived. Chain stores and restaurants continued to grow through the ensuing decades, and guess what people said in the '30's, 40's, 50', 60's, 70's, 80's, 90'. Well you can probably figure it out by now.

We're now in the 2000's and a new wave of supercenters is sweeping the land. Guess what people are saying and guess what will happen. I have a feeling, we will in fact survive.

I think we need to look at this from a more rational perspective. First, I'm not sure Wal-Mart is 100% evil, maybe only 98 or 99%. Second, we live in a free market economy. Wal-Mart doesn't shut down all the stores in small town America before it moves in. If people want to continue to patronize them, they will. They fact that they don't says quite a bit I think. And we could use perspective on ma and pa stores. Many, not all, but many I've been to have at least some of the following attributes. Limited selection, limited hours, high prices, poorly maintained. At best, Wal-Mart, et. al. can encourage small shops to be more responsive to customer needs. And I do think Wal-Mart is getting better at responding to community needs. In an inner suburb of Chicago, next town over from where I live, they are getting a new Wal-Mart on the site of a former dinner theater. The side of the building wil abut the sidewalk, making it transit friendly. It will be faced entirely in brick and will have plenty of landscaping, all at the request of the village. All in all, I don't think it's too horrible. Wal-Mart isn't going away. Constantly spewing venom and wishing for it's demise isn't going to correct the problems with the company.

Archived