Get It Together, Columbia!

superjack

Interesting thread. Some good ideas and opinions.

I have to admit as someone who grew up in Columbia, went to college there, moved away for a few years, and now once again resides in our fair city, I share superjack's frustrations. However, Columbia is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly at times.

My gosh, all you have to do is look at this picture of Gervais St. in the Vista circa 1982 (when I was a kid) and the one today.

Gervais Street

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread.  Some good ideas and opinions.

I have to admit as someone who grew up in Columbia, went to college there, moved away for a few years, and now once again resides in our fair city, I share superjack's frustrations.  However, Columbia is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly at times.

My gosh, all you have to do is look at this picture of Gervais St. in the Vista circa 1982 (when I was a kid) and the one today.

Gervais Street

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I've always wondered what Columbia looked like the year I was born. I still agree with Spartan about having more chain based restaurants downtown. I work right in the middle of downtown and I'm tired of going to Wendy's and McDonalds on my lunch breaks. I sometimes end up in Harbison or West Columbia to get what I really want.

Spartan, Sticky Fingers also has restaurants in Jacksonville, Chattanooga, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach (grand coastal mall), and Hilton Head. Charleston has one downtown and I can see one on Main Street in DT Columbia.

Wow, I've always wondered what Columbia looked like the year I was born. I still agree with Spartan about having more chain based restaurants downtown. I work right in the middle of downtown and I'm tired of going to Wendy's and McDonalds on my lunch breaks. I sometimes end up in Harbison or West Columbia to get what I really want.

Spartan, Sticky Fingers also has restaurants in Jacksonville, Chattanooga, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach (grand coastal mall), and Hilton Head. Charleston has one downtown and I can see one on Main Street in DT Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. I've been to the Sticky Fingers in Jax (Atlantic Beach). My point is that it is an SC based chain, which I like to support. Be careful about what I said though. I don't mean a Harbison style chain set up. But a few of them could strengthen the Main St corridor of DT. I want some local restaurants too :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not try some locally owned establishments instead? The money you spend stays at home then. There are tons of great and inexpensive places for lunch in downtown, the Vista and Five Points.

Garden Bistro (Vista and Downtown)

Rising High

DiPratos

Palmetto Pig

Bull Market

Wild Hare

Sandy's

Alley Cafe

Gervais and Vine

Carolina Wings

Andy's

The Gourmet Shop

Grouchos

Yesterdays

Eddie's

and a bunch more

Chains

Chik-fil-a

Wendy's

Mickey D's

Hardees

Atlanta Bread

Bojangles

Lizard's Thicket

Blue Marlin

Longhorn's

Damon's

What do the 'burbs have that downtown doesn't?

There aren't any types of food or local restaurants that I can think of that the suburbs have that you can't get downtown with one exception: Rush's. I love Rush's, but the nearest one is on Sunset just before 26. That isn't exactly close.

That said, Sticky Fingers and this new one next to sticky fingers called "Smokey Bones" are two good bbq joints that aren't DT. Palmetto Pig isn't open for dinner I don't think, and Maurice's doesn't cut it for dinner. BBQ downtown is one thing that is lacking IMO.

Other inexpensive restaurants DT-

Beezers (its a chain now, but it used to just be the one on Sumter)

Sammy's Deli

Immaculate Consuption

Tio's

Mio's (sp)

Stuffy's

Za's (might be semi-expensive, but its pretty good)

There are still more, but you get the idea :)

LOL, there was definitely a reason that I left them off my list. I intentionally listed every other restaurant I could think of on Elmwood. Maurice is a small minded bigot who thinks he is Colonel Sanders in his white suits. The only thing missing is his pointed hat and hood.

:angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, in defense of Maurice, he does make a mean bbq sandwich. I enjoy it, but mustard based bbq is not my preference. If Maurice wasn't the way he is, would you guys patronize it?

Have you ever been to Melvin's in Charleston? Its the same thing except its run by Maurice's brother (I think) who has no Confederate ideals at all, and intentionally separated himself from Maurice when the flag thing (and the rest) became an issue... Its a much better joint IMO.

Well, in defense of Maurice, he does make a mean bbq sandwich. I enjoy it, but mustard based bbq is not my preference. If Maurice wasn't the way he is, would you guys patronize it?

Have you ever been to Melvin's in Charleston? Its the same thing except its run by Maurice's brother (I think) who has no Confederate ideals at all, and intentionally separated himself from Maurice when the flag thing (and the rest) became an issue... Its a much better joint IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, Maurice does make good BBQ. It's a shame that I will never get to eat there again. I never had mustard based BBQ before moving to Cola in my 20's and eating there, but I do like it.

One of Maurice's other brothers worked as a warden when I worked at SCDC. I had some exposure to him, and he seems like a decent enough guy. If he held any racist grudge, he didn't show it. Just goes to show that no man is his brother's keeper. Maybe Maurice is the only nut in the bunch.

I have been meaning to visit Chas, were is Melvin's located? If he uses the same recipe, I'll have to give it a try.

Maurice is a long time racist. It has been many years since I've patronized his restaurants, even before the flag flap. I read many years ago that Maurice placed very racist signs in his restairants during integration. I am not a big barbeque fan, but when I do have that rare yen, I must go elsewhere. Bigots (that I know about) do not get my money.

I have been meaning to visit Chas, were is Melvin's located? If he uses the same recipe, I'll have to give it a try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Melvin's is smaller. They have a location in Mt Pleasant and another on Folly Rd in Charleston. When you go in one, you can see the resemblence to Maurices. I thought there was one in Summerville too, but apparently I was wrong.

Melvin's Locations

Melvin's is smaller. They have a location in Mt Pleasant and another on Folly Rd in Charleston. When you go in one, you can see the resemblence to Maurices. I thought there was one in Summerville too, but apparently I was wrong.

Melvin's Locations

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the record, I understand that Melvin has distanced himself from Maurice's racist beliefs.

I'm not a huge fan of barbeque. I ate at Maurice's a couple of times, years ago, before I found out about his beliefs. I initially found out about him in the old monthly newspaper, "The Point". It seems that back in the 60's he had an incredibly racist sign posted at his restaurant, the content of which I won't post on here. I have encouraged people to stay away from his establishment since that time.

Man... I don't even like it. I grew up in West Columbia in the 80s and my parents used to take me to Maurice's all the time. I guess it's okay... it's not really like the kind of bbq I like at all. I haven't eaten there in years and years, but I remember it being kind of chewy -- which is a big turn-off for me when it comes to meat. Bleh!

LITTLE PIGS, baby!!! Alpine Rd! Are there no other LP lovers up in here?!? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived