Best Modern Buildings in Charlotte

Just curious what everyone thinks. When I say modern, I'm not talking Hearst or BOA, I'm talking progressive, forward stuff. Buildings that don't pretend to be from an earlier era.

My vote as possibly the best modern building is Coca Cola (old Equitable Life) on Morrison Blvd in SouthPark. Built in 1979, it still looks hot! There are also some good representations up at the University Research Park. The old Wachovia Customer Service Center (not CIC on Harris) is way cool.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you are asking, but let me give two answers. As for a strict definition of "modern architecture", I'll vote for 129 W. Trade St. at the corner of Trade and Church.......something about the scaley texture and slightly detached elevator tower makes me wet....

As far a newly built, I'm really digging the new Children's Museum, because of the sharp angles, bright colors, and good mix of materials as well as being the only LEEDS certified building in Charlotte. The Westin also of pregressive design, though the initial plans were even more so.

Modern typically doesn't have setback and has a flat roof. Building materials are typically glass, steel, and concrete.......

Think BofA Plaza (not Corp. Center) Wachovia Center (the big white box)......more famous examples would be World Trade Centers, Sears Tower (granted this has big boxy setbacks)

Archived