• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miesian Corners

Best Modern Buildings in Charlotte

Just curious what everyone thinks. When I say modern, I'm not talking Hearst or BOA, I'm talking progressive, forward stuff. Buildings that don't pretend to be from an earlier era.

My vote as possibly the best modern building is Coca Cola (old Equitable Life) on Morrison Blvd in SouthPark. Built in 1979, it still looks hot! There are also some good representations up at the University Research Park. The old Wachovia Customer Service Center (not CIC on Harris) is way cool.

I know what you are asking, but let me give two answers. As for a strict definition of "modern architecture", I'll vote for 129 W. Trade St. at the corner of Trade and Church.......something about the scaley texture and slightly detached elevator tower makes me wet....

As far a newly built, I'm really digging the new Children's Museum, because of the sharp angles, bright colors, and good mix of materials as well as being the only LEEDS certified building in Charlotte. The Westin also of pregressive design, though the initial plans were even more so.

Yeah, I like the Westin, too. Just wish they had stayed with the original plans. I agree that ImaginOn is decent. Not an incredible building, but much better than the Main Library (where is the front door?).

Remember last summer when there was talk that the second phase of the Westin would include a condo component? I'm surprised we haven't heard anything since then....

For strictly modern designs, I like the Charlotte Plaza and the Westin the best. The Fairview towers in South Park are nice too, but I'm not sure if they qualify as strictly "modern"

Modern typically doesn't have setback and has a flat roof. Building materials are typically glass, steel, and concrete.......

Think BofA Plaza (not Corp. Center) Wachovia Center (the big white box)......more famous examples would be World Trade Centers, Sears Tower (granted this has big boxy setbacks)

But Mesian I think really wanted examples of buildings that look cutting edge, rather than a specific architectual styling...

My favorite building in Charlotte is the new J & W academic center. I love everything about that building. When I look at it, it makes me depressed that the architecture of the newer buildings at UNCC is so crappy.

I think it's part of the J&W complex and may be a parking deck but the building around Graham Street that appears to have a wall of "mesh" that moves in the wind looks pretty cool