I-73's impact on Florence

Charleston native

When I-73 is complete, will it boost Florence's population and economy? Or will Florence end up being a rest stop on another interstate? Explain your answer.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. When I-73 is complete, will it boost Florence's population and economy? Or will Florence end up being a rest stop on another interstate? Explain your answer.

• Yes, it will help surge Florence's economy.
    • No, Florence will be another rest stop on another interstate.

Since my fiancee lives in Florence, I have been visiting the city alot, and I have been impressed with their development. When I was younger, Florence was not much of a town. It has so much potential to be a bigger and better city as it is, but it seems to be lacking something to give it that needed push. Could I-73 be the needed boost to make Florence another major city in this state?

I'm voting yes...I-73 could help promote Florence as the gateway to the Lowcountry and the Grand Strand. I think it will really help Florence grow.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since my fiancee lives in Florence, I have been visiting the city alot, and I have been impressed with their development. When I was younger, Florence was not much of a town. It has so much potential to be a bigger and better city as it is, but it seems to be lacking something to give it that needed push. Could I-73 be the needed boost to make Florence another major city in this state?

I'm voting yes...I-73 could help promote Florence as the gateway to the Lowcountry and the Grand Strand. I think it will really help Florence grow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say no. If I-95 and I-20 hasn't done it, why would I-73? Besides, I-73 will not come as close to Florence as you may think.

I would say no.  If I-95 and I-20 hasn't done it, why would I-73?  Besides, I-73 will not come as close to Florence as you may think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I-95 has boosted Florence. If you go there, you can see that most of the city is built around I-95. Also, the reason I-20 has not helped Florence as much as I-95 is because I-20 officially ends in Florence.

I-95 has boosted Florence. If you go there, you can see that most of the city is built around I-95. Also, the reason I-20 has not helped Florence as much as I-95  is because I-20 officially ends in Florence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. If I-20 went from Florence to Myrtle Beach or Charleston, Florence would be a larger city, no question. Having another interstate that basically opens it up to Northern travelers would give it extra visibility and consideration as a cheap way to relocate to the South.

I voted yes, because an additional interstate can only help. Even if it doesn't run through Florence County proper, it would still be close by.

As a Florence native, I visit the area often.

Actually, the city has been declining IMO. It was a prettier and faster growing city in the 60's and 70's. When the '81 recession hit, it hit that area hard and it seems to have never returned to the level of expansion during the 20 years prior to that.

Florence and Rock Hill use to be close rivals to be the 4th or 5th major city in SC (Behind Cola, Chas, Gville and if counted separately, Spartanburg). Now Rock Hill and Myrtle Beach have left it in the dust. Weak political leadership has been the main culprit, coupled with city-county bickering IMO.

Urban Renewal ruined downtown and billboards sprange up all over town. Florence use to pride itself on its appearance and that it was a 'new south' city. Today, they seem to just be content being 'that town on the way to the beach'.

Some big things have happened over the years like the Roche Carolina pharmaceutical plant, but those have been few and far between. Enacting the Local Option Sales Tax has allowed the city limits to finally expand again, but it's still not at the pace of the 60's and early '70s.

The one bright spot is that the medical community has expanded exponentially, and bring good paying jobs. That's is about the extent of the growth going on.

Florence is considering passing this seven year sales tax...

Other counties enjoy success with sales tax

By TRACI BRIDGES

Morning News

>>Advertisement<<

In November 2002, Dillon County voters passed a referendum to implement a 1-cent capital projects sales tax.

Since the implementation of that tax in May 2003, Dillon County Administrator Clay Young said, revenue has exceeded expectations by about $100,00 per quarter.

Florence County officials look at sales tax to fund roads

By TRACI BRIDGES

Morning News

Members of Florence County Council have said they will go to the public in November 2006 and ask for a 1-cent capital project sales tax to provide match funding for the S.C. Transpor-tation Infrastructure Bank funds if Florence County makes the list for funding.

Sen. Hugh Leatherman, R-Florence, addressed the council last week during its annual re-treat at Litchfield Beach, asking for $125,000 to hire a consultant to prepare a presentation for the infrastructure board and for the council

I voted yes, because an additional interstate can only help.  Even if it doesn't run through Florence County proper, it would still be close by.

As a Florence native, I visit the area often. 

Actually, the city has been declining IMO.  It was a prettier and faster growing city in the 60's and 70's.  When the '81 recession hit, it hit that area hard and it seems to have never returned to the level of expansion during the 20 years prior to that. 

Florence and Rock Hill use to be close rivals to be the 4th or 5th major city in SC (Behind Cola, Chas, Gville and if counted separately, Spartanburg).  Now Rock Hill and Myrtle Beach have left it in the dust.  Weak political leadership has been the main culprit,  coupled with city-county bickering IMO.   

Urban Renewal ruined downtown and billboards sprange up all over town.  Florence use to pride itself on its appearance and that it was a 'new south' city.  Today, they seem to just be content being 'that town on the way to the beach'.

Some big things have happened over the years like the Roche Carolina pharmaceutical plant, but those have been few and far between.  Enacting the Local Option Sales Tax has allowed the city limits to finally expand again, but it's still not at the pace of the 60's and early '70s. 

The one bright spot is that the medical community has expanded exponentially, and bring good paying jobs.  That's is about the extent of the growth going on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a shame about Florence, because I think it is a fairly pretty city and I believe it has the potential to be a great one. I noticed that downtown, many buildings are old and vacant along with old restaurants, motels, and drive-in joints. It definitely has the feel of an interstate town, as in a city to stop while going somewhere...usually to the beach.

I think it has potential to be more than that. It needs to be considered the "Northern Gateway into South Carolina". They really need to promote the city like that. Florence's skyline is already improving with McLeod's new hospital towers being built. Once finished, it really will improve the look of downtown. You're right too, the medical industry has taken off there and is providing better paying jobs. I just wish there was something that Florence could get that would just make its economy and population explode.

Charleston native, I echo your sentiments. While driving through Florence on the way to the beach (how ironic) in December, I was impressed with the new hospital developments taking place. Florence has all of the ingredients in place to really be a progressive city in SC, I just don't think the citizens realize this, and if they do, they don't see the need to be proactive in this regard. And of course, if the general public feels this way, we need not even discuss how the leaders view the general direction of the city's future.

I don't believe I-73 will have a significant effect on Florence. Unfortunately, the Pee Dee is the state's most economically depressed region and the Florence metro area has seen little growth over the last 30 years. I don't really see anything in place that will change the region's status as one of the state's poorest areas. The city is a regional medical center, but this will not lead it into a significant growth pattern. Florence has some pretty neighborhoods, but I don't see the city destined for greatness.

Florence County Council grapples with billboards...

By TRACI BRIDGES

Morning News

Former Councilman Grady Greer asked council members to support a resolution in opposition to the proposed change in law before the S.C. Legislature regarding billboards. Greer said the proposed legislation is an assault on home rule and warned that if it passes, there will be nothing county council can do about billboards. Already, South Carolina leads the nation in number of billboards per federal mile, and Florence leads the state, Greer said, adding that the county was

Is that the whole article?

That is true. We have alot of billboards in SC. I think alot of it has to do with SC believing strongly that a person whold be able to do what he wants with his land, even if it is unattractive. The other side of that is municipalities have stronger zoning laws, but our municipalities are rescricted by the annexation laws. Doesn't it seem like a recurring theme here? If our annexation laws were changed it would remove all of our problems right? :)

Is that the whole article?

That is true. We have alot of billboards in SC. I think alot of it has to do with SC believing strongly that a person whold be able to do what he wants with his land, even if it is unattractive. The other side of that is municipalities have stronger zoning laws, but our municipalities are rescricted by the annexation laws. Doesn't it seem like a recurring theme here? If our annexation laws were changed it would remove all of our problems right? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is only part of the article, but the rest of the article was about other topics discussed by the council, primarily building a new judicial center for the county's court system.

Your points are right on target. Most billboards in Florence County (and especially the bigger ones) are in the county. The attitude you refer to in your post is very prevalent throughout much of SC, and is a real hinderance to the state progressing IMO.

I-73 can only bring positive effects to the Pee Region as well as easing the burden on existening east-west roads to Myrtle Beach like SC 38, SC 9 and US 501 (which they are all part of the I-73 future corridor). I-73 would attract new jobs to Marlboro County with its very high unemployment rate. As far as Florence benefiting from I-73, it will certainly attract more industry to Florence than so much a flood of new residents rebuilding and expanding Florence.

I saw a much less detailed rendering once... this one looks alot better. A good library functionally and aetheticly is a great assest for a community. Who wants to go to an old, cramped library?

Maybe we should start a Florence developments thread?

I saw a much less detailed rendering once... this one looks alot better. A good library functionally and aetheticly is a great assest for a community. Who wants to go to an old, cramped library?

Maybe we should start a Florence developments thread?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That library is already completed and looks great, even at night. I don't know about a Florence thread, primarily because there isn't that much going on there. They do have McLeod's new hospital towers going up...maybe I can get pics of it.

When Florence starts growing again, I think we could start talking about a thread, but not right now...IMHO, of course. :D

Ah, I didn't know it was already complete. That photo looks almost fake :) Oh well...

Florence is trying to redevelop its downtown, so there shoul be some issues coming up now and again. I would much rather have a local around here to keep up with it though.

I was just in Florence on Saturday. I saw the McLeod towers and they look pretty tall coming in Florence on Hwy 52, just off of I-95. They look to be more than 7 or 8 stories.

I visit the city about once a month and I think there is a lot going on there. Their mall is very crowded with foot traffic on the weekends. This is probably because it's situated right off of I-95.

Personally, I think Florence has a lot going on for a city its size.

That library looks fantastic, and I'm glad to see some new development in Florence. I have to admit, the evil homer in me doesn't want Florence to grow for a while, since it's the next city on the plate for Aiken to pass in population, but I truly think Florence will find it's place before that happens, and I think I-73 will be a great catalyst for growth.

I was just in Florence on Saturday. I saw the McLeod towers and they look pretty tall coming in Florence on Hwy 52, just off of I-95. They look to be more than 7 or 8 stories.

I visit the city about once a month and I think there is a lot going on there. Their mall is very crowded with foot traffic on the weekends. This is probably because it's situated right off of I-95.

Personally, I think Florence has a lot going on for a city its size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the smartest things that Florence did was build its Civic Center right off the interstate and just down the street from Magnolia Mall. What happens is that if there is a hockey game or concert, many people will shop at the mall, eat at all the nearby restaurants, and then walk to the center. Only problem is that the intersection of the main mall drive and McCleod Blvd is not pedestrian friendly. There are no sidewalks on either streets, and there is no pedestrian signal.

There is a lot going on there, but it seems like some people that live there don't know if they want to get bigger or not. This city has such grand potential, and I would hate for this city to waste it. I-73 might be the extra push for Florence to start a building boom and get the attitudes of the citizens "psyched" for growth.

I think the location of the civic center out there is the worst mistake Fleornce could have made. Most cities are realizing now that these things are useful when trying to boost a downtown's economy. I have been to the restaurants around the civic center and all of that mess, but like you said, it is not pedestrian oriented. I could not realisticly eat at a restaurant on McLeod Blvd then walk over to the Civic Center.

The locaiton is convenient for people who want to come in, watch a game, and get out. No need to visit downtown or encourage a unique experience.

Archived