Florida Metros from space

Brickell

I found these on my hard drive.

They are from a single sat-pic of florida, so it should all be somewhat to scale.

The original (big) picture is here: http://www.netrox.net/~erickahl/flcities/FlaBaseimage.jpg

This is my own cut and paste job, and I realize I didn't catch all parts of all the metro's but I did what I could. So enjoy.

North to South - I'll let you guess which is which.

Tallahassee.jpg

Jacksonville.jpg

orlando.jpg

lakeland.jpg

tampabay.jpg

SW_Florida.jpg

South_Florida.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^It helps that the airport is densely built on limited space and completely surrounded by development, i.e., landlocked, so it stands out well. :)

Nice pics, btw, Brickell.

This is one of my favorite pictures, an aerial satellite photo of Florida at night.

floridanitsts443ef.jpg

The original image came from here.

JIA, much like MIA is quite visible as well. It's the large urban setting in the top, center fo the pic. In fact, to the well knowing eye, you can count 7 airports in the Jax pic.

Jacksonville.jpg

Aessotariq, beautiful pic. I knew Jax density kinda ended abruptly compared to the othe rmajor cities but that's nuts. Orlando and Tampa metros are getting very close to each other.

I've seen a cool picture of Florida from the air.But i'd have to steal it from a website.So i wont get it.

The red is the dense part right? 'Cause Miami & South east Florida are real dense.Thats why Miami Dade County has (around) 5 million people.

Cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a map showing how "bright" the area is at night. And since our population is concentrated and our streets are very well lit, our metro area is therefore very bright. Take a look at this link to see the entire United States and look at other metro areas and compare the colors... Red is the hottest color, blue is the lightest.

Miami-Dade has about 2.3 million, Broward 1.7 million, and Palm Beach 1.1 according to some 2003 estimates... That's where the 5 million figure comes from, the combined tri-county metro..

Something else to consider. The Miami region basically removes all trees during development. Jacksonville has laws in place for keeping as many trees as possible. The Oak trees in Jax are quite tall and easily block out light when looking from above. Only the CBD is immune to the tree removal laws and that's mostly because there are no more trees there to start with.

How many people in Miami can even see stars? Im sure the moon is even washed out.....
If it's cloudy, it's next to impossible to see stars... In a clear sky, there might be glare but it is possible though...

The moon shines brightly, especially when it's close to the horizon. You might have seen some skyline shots of this... they are beautiful.

Also a lot of the areas where they are building now, don't have trees to begin with... A lot of open grassy areas. Also a lot of trees were lost to Hurricane Andrew. The older areas have better tree preservation and stricter rules.

If it's cloudy, it's next to impossible to see stars... In a clear sky, there might be glare but it is possible though...

The moon shines brightly, especially when it's close to the horizon. You might have seen some skyline shots of this... they are beautiful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we get decent stars up here, but there are some spots outside of town where the milky way itself comes out bright.

• 3 weeks later...

Google just started offering free satellite photos. Here are aerials/satellite shots of the downtown areas of some Florida Metros. As far as I know, these shots are to scale.

Tampa

tampagoogleaerial.jpg

Miami - (Couldn't even begin to fit it all into one frame.)

miamigoogleaerial.jpg

Tallahassee

tallagoogleaerial.jpg

St. Petersburg

stpetegoogleaerial.jpg

Orlando

orlandogoogleaerial.jpg

Jacksonville

jaxgoogleaerial.jpg

Ft Lauderdale ftlaudgoogleaerial.jpg

Some quick comments...

Tampa - Much smaller, areawise, than I had thought. That is such a horrible location for a freeway, too. The one south and east of the CBD.

Tallahasse - This place almost wouldn't exist if it weren't for FSU and FAMU. You can spot the two campuses by looking for the stadiums.

Orlando - Hopefully no one will take this personally, but Orlando clearly has the most undersized downtown area for its population.

Jax - My hometown. Has really been raped by freeways more than most of the other downtowns (except maybe Tampa). Surprisingly, Jax has a much larger "downtown" area than metros with over twice the population. By we also clearly suffer from the most surface parking lots and unused brownfields.

To add to that, Ft. Lauderdale isnt directly on the ocean, or bay which should allow it to be able atleast downtown to focus more on urbanism rather than be distracted by water efficiency in downotwn, similiar to Orlando.

But the downtowns with waterways are able to build on that using riverwalk's and such. So give a little take a little I still believe every downtown as strong and weak points.

Google just started offering free satellite photos. Here are aerials/satellite shots of the downtown areas of some Florida Metros. As far as I know, these shots are to scale.

Tampa

tampagoogleaerial.jpg

Miami - (Couldn't even begin to fit it all into one frame.)

miamigoogleaerial.jpg

Tallahassee

tallagoogleaerial.jpg

St. Petersburg

stpetegoogleaerial.jpg

Orlando

orlandogoogleaerial.jpg

Jacksonville

jaxgoogleaerial.jpg

Ft Lauderdale ftlaudgoogleaerial.jpg

Some quick comments...

Tampa - Much smaller, areawise, than I had thought. That is such a horrible location for a freeway, too. The one south and east of the CBD.

Tallahasse - This place almost wouldn't exist if it weren't for FSU and FAMU. You can spot the two campuses by looking for the stadiums.

Orlando - Hopefully no one will take this personally, but Orlando clearly has the most undersized downtown area for its population.

Jax - My hometown. Has really been raped by freeways more than most of the other downtowns (except maybe Tampa). Surprisingly, Jax has a much larger "downtown" area than metros with over twice the population. By we also clearly suffer from the most surface parking lots and unused brownfields.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man i could the Orange Bowl in that picture.(It looks like a mouth.)kind of freaky. :wacko:

Nice pics,..

You can get a better prospective on the urban density, and I better understand the impact that I-395 has on the Overtown area,.. Man, who ever designed I-395 thru Miami probably wasnt concerned about the local neighborhoods it would destroy upon completion,.. It will be nice to see it torn down and built below grade....

These satellite images still look fairly old. Seems that they are three years or more. Does Google give any idea of the date the photos were taken??

Yea, your right. But the only way I can tell that these pics are about 2 to 3 years old is by lookin at the Jax pic... Notice the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum near Alltell, but its looks like the Baseball Park and new arena is either under construction or completed.

Archived