Savannah Developments

Southron

Abercorn Common

"Abercorn Common is a $30 million shopping center redevelopment at the highest-traveled intersection in Savannah.... The 21-acre, 210,000-square-foot development will be a unique combination of lifestyle and power center shopping, including big box retailers and approximately 50,000 square feet of boutique space known as Shops on the Common....

The redevelopment is competing to become the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accredited retail center in the country. The U.S. Green Building Council�s guidelines will transform the center into a lush shopping area for tenants. This pedestrian-friendly center will include water features, gracious architecture and outdoor dining. The assemblage and deconstruction phases are now complete and construction is underway. Phase I will open March 2005, with occupancy projected to exceed 110,000 square feet." -southeastrebusiness.com

more info:

http://retailtrafficmag.com/mag/retail_grass_truly_greener/

from the developer:

"Abercorn Common is being designed, engineered and constructed to the highest building performance standards-including the U.S. Green Building Council�s ratings system for LEED Certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). Beyond the heightened aesthetic appeal this level of building innovation brings, there are immediate and long-term financial advantages to 'green' building design.

Retail sales typically increase 40% on average-as national retailers like Target and Wal-Mart have found-through the extensive use of daylighting ~ Merchandise is easier to see and appears 'true' to color under natural light ~ Abercorn Common�s energy-efficient glazed windows, skylights and clerestory windows� equipped with photo sensors that regulate the use of artificial light as clouds or nightfall approaches� will dramatically reduce energy costs and keep your store cooler as temperatures climb ~ Better indoor air quality contributes to a more healthful, more comfortable and more profitable shopping and working environment ~ Abercorn Common�s spacious interiors will feature increased air circulation/ventilation and will use paints, building materials and finishes that outgas far fewer pollutants.

LEED buildings are created to avoid the occurrence of 'sick building syndrome.' Typically, employee absenteeism falls and worker productivity rises. Shoppers stay longer and buy more.

Over time, Abercorn Common tenants should realize considerable savings from reduced energy, human resource, liability and insurance expenses."

www.abercorncommon.com

• 6 months later...

A few of the many many projects going on at the moment.

1) Columbia Place

Residences at Columbia Place, a gated enclave of 10 opulent condominiums located on historic Columbia Square. The elegant style of the residences at Columbia Place recalls the grand mansions of old Savannah, yet these condominiums boast all of the modern luxuries of elegant urban living including two or three master suites, state-of-the-art kitchens, wireless Internet systems and much more.

Residences start in the high $800,000

Does anyone know about the impact of Savannah College of Art and Design in revitalizing Savannah? It seems like they really have remodeled many buildings for their facilities.... I saw an earlier posting referring to Savannah as a place of serious crime, etc. where most other postings are describing it as idealic. just wondering if the college's efforts have made a serious improvement... etc.

Does anyone know about the impact of Savannah College of Art and Design in revitalizing Savannah? It seems like they really have remodeled many buildings for their facilities.... I saw an earlier posting referring to Savannah as a place of serious crime, etc. where most other postings are describing it as idealic. just wondering if the college's efforts have made a serious improvement... etc.

SCAD has made a huge impact on the revitilization of downtown. Many of the city's old grade schools were

unused. SCAD puchased these buildings and restored them and use them to hold classes. There are also several warehouses that were empty and abandoned and the college has restored those as well. I think one of the benefits of SCAD is that these buildings no longer had a use and would most likely sit empty for decades if SCAD didn't purchase and restore them. Their preservation efforts alone are outstanding -especially for buildings that only a college could make use out of.

In addition to the preservation, the influx of students in downtown has allowed for more businesses to flourish. All of this activity of course makes it safer and cleans up the city.

But - Savannah does still have a serious crime problem. A tourist would most likely not notice this at first glance. The most serious crimes are generally confined to the people involved in drug activity but muggings and car theft happen regularly. Since Savannah is such a walkable city with scattered "bad parts of town" and bordered on the east and west by housing projects, crime is prevalent.

But I can say in the 4 years that I lived there (Sept. 2001-June 2005) I saw a drastic improvement of downtown; especially Broughton Street. Much of it was boarded up when I first came to Savannah and now it is flourishing.

**I am a SCAD alumni :)

I was looking at some photo galleries of Savannah and in one skyline shot, I saw a large area of construction with a crane; what was that?

Could you be more specific of what photo you saw?

It could have been the parking garage that was recently built on Liberty and MLK. It was completed this spring.

It looked like it was in the middle of the city. It was on a link of Savannah Pictures under City Profile: Savannah; when you get there, look under urban savannah or skyline shots

Oh ok. That's a hotel that recently opened on Bay Street.

www.gardenhotelsavannah.com

The other crane shot at the bottom of that urban Savannah gallery is of the parking garage that I mentioned before.

Edited by Designerbee

• 2 months later...

It's an exciting time in the life of this city.

Identified as one of the top 10 hot spots for entrepreneurs, Savannah is attracting many new businesses that will add vibrant growth to the city.

According to the University of Georgia Terry School of Business "Georgia Economic Outlook for 2006," the job growth rate in Savannah is nearly double that of the rest of the state. This influx of newcomers also brings new ideas and a major reinvestment in downtown.

The City Market parking garage seen from the third floor of the former Savannah Morning News building will soon be torn down to make way for an underground parking garage. Plans are to renovate the building into upscale retail and residential space

12490853.jpg

The demolition of a central portion of the former Savannah Morning News building on West Bay Street creates a wide opening in the city block between Whitaker and Barnard Streets. Plans are to renovate the building into upscale retail and residential space.

12490868.jpg

Architecturally, we have seen this new thinking translate into more contemporary design influences and a greater trend towards more mixed-use development.

While Savannah is no stranger to contemporary design with influences like the Savannah College of Art and Design, it is somewhat of a departure from the new architecture we have seen over the last 10 years.

A move toward a more modern aesthetic is something that needs to be carefully studied and considered in order for it to fit in with the rich context and architectural styles that exist in Savannah today.

Fortunately, the City's Historic Review Board and organizations like the Historic Savannah Foundation are mindful of this. Their scrutiny and vigilance will ensure that Savannah never loses its historic character even as it moves into the future.

In the year ahead all indications are that quality mixed-use development will reach out in new directions.

We should see several projects getting underway that will continue to add to Savannah's architectural tradition and to the vitality of the city. Over the past few years, we've watched mixed-use development and redevelopment move west from downtown into the area south of Liberty Street between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Barnard Street.

In 2006, a push east may match the development initiative on the west side.

The redevelopment of Trustee's Garden at the east end of Bay Street will transform the 7-acre site from its current mix of deteriorating commercial and former industrial buildings to a vibrant mixed-use development. The development of the President Street extension will also continue this push west toward the Islands.

Other notable mixed-use projects range in size from the massive redevelopment of Ellis Square and Hutchison Island, to smaller projects such as the Starland Condos by Lominack Kolman Smith Architects and our new Dawson Wissmach Architects headquarters on East Bay Street.

Over the past decade, we have watched as our downtown architectural treasures have been returned to their original splendor at an increasing rate. Of course this trend will continue throughout downtown in 2006 as buildings that have outlived their original use are being slated for renovation or adaptive reuse.

At the same time, redevelopment and new infill development for mixed-use projects will lead the trend in downtown investment.

With so many opportunities, this year should prove to be full of bold and exciting projects that will add to Savannah's vitality and leave a positive mark on downtown for years to come.

All this is happening where the yellow PG is located

26600463-O.jpg

Edited by SavannahGa

• 2 months later...

I was just in Savannah a week ago to tour SCAD and saw lots of construction activity. Very nice.

Does anybody have any info or comments about Drayton Tower? Sounds like its being converted to condos, which I'm interested in. If I go to school there, I'd probably rent an apartment, but ideally I wouldn't mind investing in a condo. And something about Drayton Tower piques my interest. Love mid-century modern stuff.

I was just in Savannah a week ago to tour SCAD and saw lots of construction activity. Very nice.

Does anybody have any info or comments about Drayton Tower? Sounds like its being converted to condos, which I'm interested in. If I go to school there, I'd probably rent an apartment, but ideally I wouldn't mind investing in a condo. And something about Drayton Tower piques my interest. Love mid-century modern stuff.

I lived there for 3 years actually. I moved last June.

Its being converted to luxury condos. You can get in contact with Mopper Stapen for more info.

Since they are pretty much gutting the building, whatever I have to say won't really matter but I can say that its the best location in town and has amazing views. I was on the 8th floor facing south and saw miles of tree tops and church steeples. I really miss it!

I also am a SCAD alumni in interior design.

http://www.mopper-stapen.com/residential.shtml

Rebirth of the Tower

Edited by Spartan

Wow, thanks for the insight on the building. I imagine anything above the treeline would be incredible, no matter what side.

I gave a call to Dicky Mopper yesterday. He's selling off each floor separately, it seems, and then whatever the purchaser does with the floor is what will be. He also mentioned a $300-400 per square foot price range. However I did see about 4 listings at Drayton already, similar units, $189,000 for about 1000 square feet. So that is much less per sq. ft. than what he said. Maybe its just the raw space for those? Another phone call may be in order.

Oh, Designerbee, if I end up going rental, what source for listings do you think is best? Like everybody and their brother, I'd like to be up in the Historical District as much as possible. I'd give up square footage and take on a higher rent to do so. I see lots of listings for those 'motel' looking apartment buidlings on the outskirts of town, but I'm not sure of those.

Edited by sushisimo

Wow, thanks for the insight on the building. I imagine anything above the treeline would be incredible, no matter what side.

I gave a call to Dicky Mopper yesterday. He's selling off each floor separately, it seems, and then whatever the purchaser does with the floor is what will be. He also mentioned a $300-400 per square foot price range. However I did see about 4 listings at Drayton already, similar units, $189,000 for about 1000 square feet. So that is much less per sq. ft. than what he said. Maybe its just the raw space for those? Another phone call may be in order.

Keep me updated. I'm curious too.

I was really upset when they first announced they would be turned into condos. I was living there at the time. Drayton Tower was really the last affordable place to live in downtown and many of the residents had been there for many years - some as many as 20+! Those people I'm sure will end up in nursing homes as their rent was locked in long ago and they were downtown so they had better mobility.

I'm happy that the building is being restored but a piece of important affordable housing is lost. The building was actually built under an act after WWII to provide affordable housing to bachelors after the war or childless couples. It remined that way for over 50 years!

Edited by Designerbee

y doesn't savannah have it's own subform? it is certainly worthy!! let's hear it for TEAM SAVANNAH :w00t:

When we created the subforums in the Georgia section it was decided that Savannah and Macon lacked the traffic to support a subforum. Nothing is set in stone though.

• 2 weeks later...

When we created the subforums in the Georgia section it was decided that Savannah and Macon lacked the traffic to support a subforum. Nothing is set in stone though.

If Savannah did have a subforum, I would do a lot more posting and reading here. I live in downtown Savannah, and am on top of the stuff that is going on around here.

May we puh-leeeezzzz start a Savannah subforum?

And how do I post photos on Urban Planet?

• 3 weeks later...

If Savannah did have a subforum, I would do a lot more posting and reading here. I live in downtown Savannah, and am on top of the stuff that is going on around here.

May we puh-leeeezzzz start a Savannah subforum?

And how do I post photos on Urban Planet?

:blush: puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz :blush:

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...