Savannah Developments

Southron

Yeah, I was thinking about the impact itll have on that part of Abercorn. Savannah Mall is a great new mall, no way is it outdated id say... and for the area having this 2 story mall will help out alot when these type of developments come into play, I think Savannah Mall will see better days again and alot of stores will relocate to Savannah Mall while Oglethorpe Mall will turn into our version of Lenox in buckhead, adding the much needed Maggianos - Cheesecake restaurants that you know midtown will get, its not the matter of if but when .... I also think, oglethorpe mall will get stores will Saks Fifth and Nordstroms ....... I just see midtown turning into a better place... and Savannah Mall finding intos catch again .... it has to happen.......

As for the mall rite now, I heard a local businessmen is moving his gym into that mall ..... and really hows that going to look .... Im wondering how Savannah Mall is structuring their leases with places like this and the local high quality kellers flea market vendors <_<

I think Savannah should focus less on commercial development of malls and continue to invest more in small business within mixed use type developments. I personally hope the Mall fails to suck more businesses into its domain, but that is just my opinion. I am seeing a lot of cool advancements from Savannah lately, especially the new riverfront...wow. I am real excited for you guys! Maybe one day Savannah will be as cool as Charleston ;)

Edited by pompusmaximus

I think Savannah should focus less on commercial development of malls and more on small business within mixed use type developments. I personally hope the Mall fails to suck more businesses into its domain but that is just my opinion. I am seeing a lot of cool advancements from Savannah lately and I am real excited for you guys! Maybe one day Savannah will be as cool as Charleston ;)

yeah, its a few things here and there... not like charleston though ^_^

yeah, its a few things here and there... not like charleston though ^_^

yeh savannah needs more things to do. the younger generation at least is bored. they should have like a teens club or something downtown like hiphuggers but open to teens all the time, and they are in need of a concert hall in savannah too, and maybe and imax theatre.

yeh savannah needs more things to do. the younger generation at least is bored. they should have like a teens club or something downtown like hiphuggers but open to teens all the time, and they are in need of a concert hall in savannah too, and maybe and imax theatre.

However, teens have to act appropriately, or clubs and any teen oriented businesses will continue to shut down. That mess that often happens at Star Castle and the Mall Boulevard area makes me glad that I no longer go there.

Edited by Savboy08

You read my mind cocateho, I was just thinking about a Imax theatre in Savannah. Im here in Tampa for some training and the place across the street is Imax... its located in the channelside district downtown tampa.... I was thinking maybe a new movie theatre for Savannah with Imax should be in the Downtown area - probably the Savannah River Landing...... thats gets locals down there also and tourists that want to catch a flick while in town.....we really need one, do you know if Hilton Head was one, if not - its a shame someone hasnt thought about bringing one in the area.......

However, teens have to act appropriately, or clubs and any teen oriented businesses will continue to shut down. That mess that often happens at Star Castle and the Mall Boulevard area makes me glad that I no longer go there.

Savboy, did you see the article in the SMN when the owners of starcastle wrote, that they have helped with the issue by hiring off-duty cops inside the building, but they cannot control these kids once they leave starcastle, they went on to say that its parents fault for not being there afterwards to get there kids or just not raising them rite..... :mellow: ...........

Savboy, did you see the article in the SMN when the owners of starcastle wrote, that they have helped with the issue by hiring off-duty cops inside the building, but they cannot control these kids once they leave starcastle, they went on to say that its parents fault for not being there afterwards to get there kids or just not raising them rite..... :mellow: ...........

Nope, but I wouldn't blatently blame parents in that way now-a-days. Many teens are both stubborn and rebellious. Now picking the children up on time is something that the parents have power over. I suggest they exercise that power.

You read my mind cocateho, I was just thinking about a Imax theatre in Savannah. Im here in Tampa for some training and the place across the street is Imax... its located in the channelside district downtown tampa.... I was thinking maybe a new movie theatre for Savannah with Imax should be in the Downtown area - probably the Savannah River Landing...... thats gets locals down there also and tourists that want to catch a flick while in town.....we really need one, do you know if Hilton Head was one, if not - its a shame someone hasnt thought about bringing one in the area.......

If you are in Tampa, there is of course one(IMAX theater) at MOSI(their museum of science). I've been there before and it's awesome. I can imagine there being another in that metro area(which is pretty big)

Northside catching on fast... Rincon-Port Wentworth adding much needed growth in the northside of Savannah. On Melaver/Mouchet's website they have finally opened up sites to ColdBrook Station. ColdBrook Station located right off of I-95 and HWY 21 in Port Wentworth, will open up 10 lots from 1.5 acres to 15+ acres. This development is right behind Holiday Inn Express and Quality Inn in Port Wentworth. I hopeing for much needed office space in Port Wentworth... this development is also next to the Waterford Shoppes - housing Food Lion, CVS, Zaxby's, Family Dollar, Great Steak & Potatoe. Also I hear in the works for Port Wentworth is a much needed restaurant on the exit, I hear its a causual dining chain moving along with construction to begin in September!

We already have been seeing steady growth from the southside areas from savannah mall to georgetown to richmond hill, and towards the westside with pooler, but now we are moving north, as the "Northside" moves into more aggressive development.

the term Northside is already being used my Port Wentworth, in there local billboard campaigns on I-95 advertising that they are Savannah's Affordable hotel destination...

It's Good to see the city spreading everywhere... really will be a force in the southeast!

i just had an idea for downtown parking.

yall know that ugly black matallic parking garage just off broughton right?

take that and demolish it and use the space to erect maybe a 10 - 15 story tower. It would be divided into two parts, virtically, parking on one side, and one the other retail for the first 2 - 3 flors and then apartment/ condos on the rest. you would then have not a terribly large footprint for a parking garage, but 10 - 15 stories of it, free parking for the tenants of course. top that off by doing the external facade the same all the way around, hiding all evidence, other than the ground entrance, that there is a parking garage.

what do you guys think? i know i come up with some odd ideas but i just want to see savannah grow to be a better city really.

take that and demolish it and use the space to erect maybe a 10 - 15 story tower. It would be divided into two parts, virtically, parking on one side, and one the other retail for the first 2 - 3 flors and then apartment/ condos on the rest. you would then have not a terribly large footprint for a parking garage, but 10 - 15 stories of it, free parking for the tenants of course. top that off by doing the external facade the same all the way around, hiding all evidence, other than the ground entrance, that there is a parking garage.

what do you guys think? i know i come up with some odd ideas but i just want to see savannah grow to be a better city really.

I think the historic review board would have a cow with that proposal. They only like to see buildings at most containing about 8 floors. They should simply renovate the exterior of that parking garage to be more appealing. I agree that it is a really ghastly building.

Some other thoughts I have from reading the blogs are:

When the new arena opens in a few years and they demolish the MLK one at the Civic Center, they should build the IMAX on that spot. They could incorporate, maybe some boutiques and a smaller Whole Foods. That's what surprises me, we have yet to see one of those enter the market. I like the dome IMAX in Tampa at the MOSI, that would be awesome to bring to Savannah. Something needs to be done with the Civic Center though, it's a horrible looking building.

Now for whoever said Oglethorpe Mall will attract Saks or Nordstrom, that won;t happen for a very long time. Jacksonville, a metro area with 1.3 million people, is having a hard time attracting those stores, how will Savannah with a modest 300,000 people and an average household income of $61,000 be able to attract those stores. Jacksonville can keep things too. Savannah has had a hard time doing that for some reason. A Cheesecake Factory on the other hand would do very well and I keep hoping that it will materialize in the River Landing or on the Southside somewhere.

ill tell ya right now, its not crazy to think like this, because I promise you that developers wont, they want to get right into the heart of downtown savannah and developers will come in and buy an old buidling and rip it down and turn it into the newest hippest spot down there, savannah has the spotlight on it right now, and people and companies will think just like you did, and new ideas are created... I think we're really going to see downtown savannah change into a very interesting place... all this and overlook the new highrise buildings on the other side of the river... its going to be nice i tell ya... :wub:

I think the historic review board would have a cow with that proposal. They only like to see buildings at most containing about 8 floors. They should simply renovate the exterior of that parking garage to be more appealing. I agree that it is a really ghastly building.

When the new arena opens in a few years and they demolish the MLK one at the Civic Center, they should build the IMAX on that spot. They could incorporate, maybe some boutiques and a smaller Whole Foods. That's what surprises me, we have yet to see one of those enter the market. I like the dome IMAX in Tampa at the MOSI, that would be awesome to bring to Savannah. Something needs to be done with the Civic Center though, it's a horrible looking building.

Now for whoever said Oglethorpe Mall will attract Saks or Nordstrom, that won;t happen for a very long time. Jacksonville, a metro area with 1.3 million people, is having a hard time attracting those stores, how will Savannah with a modest 300,000 people and an average household income of $61,000 be able to attract those stores. Jacksonville can keep things too. Savannah has had a hard time doing that for some reason. A Cheesecake Factory on the other hand would do very well and I keep hoping that it will materialize in the River Landing or on the Southside somewhere.

Where are you getting your info about Savannah's average household income? It sure as heck isn't that high. Cut your figure in 1/2 and you'd be a lot closer to the actual number. That's one reason why Whole Foods isn't here: the median income is too low for them to open a store here. Which is another reason why you won't see a Saks or Nordstrom here as well.

Edited by fromsc2tx

thye probably would have a problem with it but at the same time there's also a ten story building across the street from that parking lot and withing a block of it you have at least 2 more then story buildings and then the johnson square buissness center which is 15 stories. its so stupid, cus those bulding have already proved that height doesnt ruin the feel of downtown, and historic as they may be, a new building could be constructed to fit in with that and above all fill in that damn gap in the skyline. that kinda pisses me off cus that one tall bulding has nothing nearly as tall around it and thought it looks good from ground level, across the river it looks like the skyline is flipping you off : /

Where are you getting your info about Savannah's average household income? It sure as heck isn't that high. Cut your figure in 1/2 and you'd be a lot closer to the actual number. That's one reason why Whole Foods isn't here: the median income is too low for them to open a store here. Which is another reason why you won't see a Saks or Nordstrom here as well.

Keep in mind that the figure includes "everyone" in the household. Like 2 spouses, that means like 30,000 a piece which seems about right. That is sort of low. Not to mention that this number probably includes extremes on both ends.

Keep in mind that the figure includes "everyone" in the household. Like 2 spouses, that means like 30,000 a piece which seems about right. That is sort of low. Not to mention that this number probably includes extremes on both ends.

actually last i heard savannah had a $16,000 per capita income. you might want to doublecheck your facts and use a diffrent source, i dont think it has increased tht much.

Hey i just went into annie allmans new store today, its freakin awesome, lookes great, has a rehearsing studio area in the basment about twice the size of the ground level store. all that, and she making her own guitars now! but its a great shop and i think it will be a big attraction for the music buissiness down there, yall should definitely stop in if you can.

actually last i heard savannah had a $16,000 per capita income. you might want to doublecheck your facts and use a diffrent source, i dont think it has increased tht much.

Yeah, you are right. You do have to cut the 61,000 in half. It's about 30,000(or 32 according to your data) per household.

It seems Ga. as a whole is somewhat low. But I guess the low cost of living makes such income levels usable/manageable.

I'll guess there are a lot of single people in Savannah, not to mention the poverty level may also be reflected in this statistic. And honestly, I didn't really state anything as a fact. I really believed that the average person in Savannah makes like 20-30,000. The 25 poverty level may seriously skew it left, however it would be very inaccurate if we excluded 25(give or take some) percent of the population. 16,000 is a bit low. It probably still falls below the state average. Savannah definitely needs some higher paying job oppurtunities. However, we need a well-educated population to attract such oppurtunities, meaning the school system needs to improve.

Edited by Savboy08

Yeah, you are right. You do have to cut the 61,000 in half. It's about 30,000(or 32 according to your data) per household.

It seems Ga. as a whole is somewhat low. But I guess the low cost of living makes such income levels usable/manageable.

I'll guess there are a lot of single people in Savannah, not to mention the poverty level may also be reflected in this statistic. And honestly, I didn't really state anything as a fact. I really believed that the average person in Savannah makes like 20-30,000. The 25 poverty level may seriously skew it left, however it would be very inaccurate if we excluded 25(give or take some) percent of the population. 16,000 is a bit low. It probably still falls below the state average. Savannah definitely needs some higher paying job oppurtunities. However, we need a well-educated population to attract such oppurtunities, meaning the school system needs to improve.

It would help alot if we could bring in a couple large corporate headquarters, thats something savannah lacks downtown.

Yeah, but they would probably want a skyscraper, which downtown can't have. Guess we may have some "historical" limitations.

yeh, its more than a bit self - prohibiting for savannah to be the way it is about heights... if they get a good looking building that will fit theres nothing wrong with that!

Yeah, but they would probably want a skyscraper, which downtown can't have. Guess we may have some "historical" limitations.

Well, I say the beauty of it is now that it could happen, with the addition of the Savannah River Landing site... I wouldnt count it out now..... ^_^

btw, is the ugly Civic Center part of the "historic district"? wondering because when torn down, what could end up there....

Well, I say the beauty of it is now that it could happen, with the addition of the Savannah River Landing site... I wouldnt count it out now..... ^_^

btw, is the ugly Civic Center part of the "historic district"? wondering because when torn down, what could end up there....

i do believe it is, but then again everything down there is historical almost os im kinda fuzzy and the exact lines on the zones and all. and i also think if the civic center is torn down or replaced, the desoto hilton should redo its exterior.

the_residence_of_sun_river_development_227_w_montgomery_crossroads.jpg

The Residence of Sun River

288 fully furnished independent senior apartment/condominiums....off of Montgomery Crossing Road and Abercorn Street. Redevelopment of Savannah's Southside & Midtown is gaining ground.......

on 17 acres ...... looks like behind the Hoover chrysler

btw, this is a 45 million dollar build-out........speaking of 45 million, Chatham Plaza on Abercorn - recently sold for 45 million to Kimco Realty, a New York based shopping center buyer.....

Edited by 109investments