Savannah Developments

Southron

the_residence_of_sun_river_development_227_w_montgomery_crossroads.jpg

The Residence of Sun River

288 fully furnished independent senior apartment/condominiums....off of Montgomery Crossing Road and Abercorn Street. Redevelopment of Savannah's Southside & Midtown is gaining ground.......

on 17 acres ...... looks like behind the Hoover chrysler

btw, this is a 45 million dollar build-out........speaking of 45 million, Chatham Plaza on Abercorn - recently sold for 45 million to Kimco Realty, a New York based shopping center buyer.....

is there a website for this?

and is kimco realty planning on doing anything with chatham plaza or just buying it up?

the_residence_of_sun_river_development_227_w_montgomery_crossroads.jpg

The Residence of Sun River

288 fully furnished independent senior apartment/condominiums....off of Montgomery Crossing Road and Abercorn Street. Redevelopment of Savannah's Southside & Midtown is gaining ground.......

on 17 acres ...... looks like behind the Hoover chrysler

btw, this is a 45 million dollar build-out........speaking of 45 million, Chatham Plaza on Abercorn - recently sold for 45 million to Kimco Realty, a New York based shopping center buyer.....

There is a little construction site across from That shopping center at the beginning of Eisenhower(when you get off of White Bluff). So far, signs only indicate two Asian(I believe Japanese) Restaurants.

is there a website for this?

and is kimco realty planning on doing anything with chatham plaza or just buying it up?

There isnt a website I found, I saw that this development is going through talking to worker from Sperry Van Ness of Savannah. Its on there website! but as for Kimco, Ill tell you right now, I read a article about Kimco's thoughts on Savannah and the reason they purchased that place, because they felt savannah is a very rapidly growing market, with a perfect blend of strong residential growth, commerical and industrial, they really looked at the Ports & Tourism as a factor..

Thats why we will see more redevelopment in the midtown area, just like those apartments/condos coming in.. But I bet that Kimco has purchased the property to redevelop the site, If you look at there other developments, they are upscale and have a great vibe to them, very respected company... they will work wonders on that site watch....you cant have better location then on abercorn and whitebluff..... just like in atlanta, savannah will see alot of inner redevelopment, I also think office space already on abercorn will be redeveloped into bigger buildings, 5-6-7 stories maybe more....

North Pointe who developed the 6 story Hilton Garden Inn in Midtown, purchases that site that used to be home to villagers lodge, and redeveloped the site, now they also plan to build a 6 story Hampton Inn & Suites rite next to it!

I love the midtown action.....

Midtown Savannah Redeveloping With Wave of Upscale Retail

By Stephen Sacco

8309a.jpgRendering by Greenline shows proposed shopping center on AbercornAbercorn Street is starting to get crowded with shopping centers that bill themselves as upscale retail centers. The latest is Abercorn Station at 5521 Abercorn St., south of DeRenne Avenue and just north of the Abercorn Walk shopping center.

At the site, demolition has begun on a cluster of buildings that once housed such businesses as a pawnshop. Sketches for the replacement strip shopping center are in hand, but the tenants for the space remain open to speculation.

Michael Stapen of Mopper-Stapen Realtors said that there are letters of intent for tenants for Abercorn Station but that he isn't able to give names until leases are signed.

This new entry continues the upscale development of the commercial portion of Midtown Savannah, where the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown opened this summer to replace a low-end motel and Abercorn Walk has filled up with pricy retailers suited to the tone set by The Fresh Market, the anchor store. Across the street, Twelve Oaks, the granddaddy of this type development along that stretch, offers expensive boutiques along with its grocery store and restaurant tenants. At Twelve Oaks, established high-end retailers like Kitchenware Outfitters, Globe Shoes and Sunkissed have shifted around to larger spaces or remodeled in the past few years - all serving to cement that center's grip on Savannah's well-heeled shoppers.

"There isn't enough parking for a restaurant (at Abercorn Station)," Stapen said of the newest planned development in a telephone interview. "But we are finding some upscale (retail) tenants, though maybe not quite as upscale as Abercorn Walk."

Abercorn Walk will be the new complex's neighbor. Along with The Fresh Market, it is home to such high-end clothing as Talbots, Jos.A. Bank and Chicos. The new development at 5521 Abercorn St. is intended to complement this development.

Another advantage that Stapen points to is the visibility these retailers will receive due to the high volume of traffic on Abercorn.

Real estate broker Rhett Mouchet played an important role in bringing some of this upscale shopping to Midtown Savannah.

Mouchet, the broker in charge at Melaver/Mouchet, a Savannah commercial real estate company, has been involved in Savannah commercial real estate since the 1980s.

"Savannah has changed so much," he said - and thereby hangs a tale, or rather, a speech.

Mouchet will be speaking about the growth of Midtown Savannah this Thursday at an event sponsored by the Savannah Area Tourism Leadership Council (TLC).

The location of the event also serves to illustrate the growth of Midtown. The meeting is taking place at the recently opened Hilton Garden Inn Midtown on Abercorn Street.

Marti Barrow, executive director of the TLC, said the location was chosen specifically for this purpose.

"As the Tourism Leadership Council, we want to keep people informed about growth in Savannah," she said.

In Savannah, however, people have their own definitions of what they refer to as Midtown, Mouchet pointed out.

However you define Midtown, Mouchet said that a drive down Abercorn - starting with historic picturesque squares through the venerable and recently trendy neighborhood of Ardsley Park and on to the commercial district - is a good way to observe how the city developed.

"There are geographical constraints to growth in Savannah," Mouchet said. This led to the extension of Abercorn and the development of the Southside. However, he said, people take a very different approach to growth today than in the 1970s.

"If they needed more space, they just extended Abercorn," he explained. "We wouldn't do that today."

Mouchet took an early interest in green or sustainable development and now this concept is in vogue, he said.

"You can't pick up a (trade) publication today that doesn't have an article about green development," Mouchet said.

He also said that green development offers long-term economic benefits to both developers and tenants.

Mouchet points to Abercorn Common, next to Oglethorpe Mall, as an example of green development, a project in which he acted as a broker.

Another area of growth that Mouchet sees as possible for Midtown, besides upscale retail, is quality office space, also for clients willing and able to pay a little more.

New firms and perhaps some of the professional services located in the Historic District may be lured to Midtown with the prospect of being able to find parking, according to Mouchet.

Mouchet will be speaking on "Real Estate Growth in Midtown Savannah" on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown, 5711 Abercorn St. The event is sponsored by the Savannah Area Tourism Leadership Council and costs $25 for members and $35 for non-members.

Well, its hard to actually pinpoint the exact amount of average household income, the census data indicates something completely opposite of what the real estate companies like General Growth (where the $61,000 came from), Kimco or Jones, Lange and Lasalle say the market has. As well, Savannah is still very much a pocketed city. Wilmington Island and Skidaway Island have 6 figure average incomes while as soon as you cross the Skidaway River towards Whitfield or the Wilmington River towards Thunderbolt, the incomes go way down. Gordonston still is a very high income neighborhood but it is surrounded by low imcome neighborhoods.

Now admittedly, I was looking at the Trade area data but still, Savannah's trade area isn't a vast area, 3 counties.

Take a look at what General Growth has to say:

http://www.ggp.com/properties/demoinfo.asp?smuid=568

There isnt a website I found, I saw that this development is going through talking to worker from Sperry Van Ness of Savannah. Its on there website! but as for Kimco, Ill tell you right now, I read a article about Kimco's thoughts on Savannah and the reason they purchased that place, because they felt savannah is a very rapidly growing market, with a perfect blend of strong residential growth, commerical and industrial, they really looked at the Ports & Tourism as a factor..

Thats why we will see more redevelopment in the midtown area, just like those apartments/condos coming in.. But I bet that Kimco has purchased the property to redevelop the site, If you look at there other developments, they are upscale and have a great vibe to them, very respected company... they will work wonders on that site watch....you cant have better location then on abercorn and whitebluff..... just like in atlanta, savannah will see alot of inner redevelopment, I also think office space already on abercorn will be redeveloped into bigger buildings, 5-6-7 stories maybe more....

North Pointe who developed the 6 story Hilton Garden Inn in Midtown, purchases that site that used to be home to villagers lodge, and redeveloped the site, now they also plan to build a 6 story Hampton Inn & Suites rite next to it!

I love the midtown action.....

wow 2 six story buildings in the middle of midtown savannah suburbia. niiiiice, hey if we dont get mre tall buildings downtown, maybe this is the area that well get a real skyline? seems like developers down there are slowly trying to ease their way into taller buildings though, like the 8 story holiday inn was a step up, but barely more than a baby step, even if it is the tallest bulding on bay street now : )

also, do you know when they plan to build the hampton inn and suites?

wow 2 six story buildings in the middle of midtown savannah suburbia. niiiiice, hey if we dont get mre tall buildings downtown, maybe this is the area that well get a real skyline? seems like developers down there are slowly trying to ease their way into taller buildings though, like the 8 story holiday inn was a step up, but barely more than a baby step, even if it is the tallest bulding on bay street now : )

also, do you know when they plan to build the hampton inn and suites?

The current Hampton Inn in Midtown will be losing its flag in 09, so look for a construction date in 08 so the new hotel will open in 09.... the reason old Hampton Inn lost its flag is because they dont want anymore outdoor properties in the system, so the owner lost his chance to build and the new developers that developed Hilton Garden Inn - already part of hilton took the Hampton name.... and they are doing a Hampton Inn & Suites 6 story facing white bluff ...........yeah I think Midtown is getting taller and the developments out there from now on are going to be big and costly....also look for the holiday Inn in midtown to do the same, he will probably build a new hotel to replace the current one.. My friend used to own the holiday inn and said the new guys are going to replace it oneday .... they also purchased the front lot next to Daquiri Island..... so thatll be interesting to seee....the Stafford Group - they also own the huge Holiday Inn in hilton head.......

The current Hampton Inn in Midtown will be losing its flag in 09, so look for a construction date in 08 so the new hotel will open in 09.... the reason old Hampton Inn lost its flag is because they dont want anymore outdoor properties in the system, so the owner lost his chance to build and the new developers that developed Hilton Garden Inn - already part of hilton took the Hampton name.... and they are doing a Hampton Inn & Suites 6 story facing white bluff ...........yeah I think Midtown is getting taller and the developments out there from now on are going to be big and costly....also look for the holiday Inn in midtown to do the same, he will probably build a new hotel to replace the current one.. My friend used to own the holiday inn and said the new guys are going to replace it oneday .... they also purchased the front lot next to Daquiri Island..... so thatll be interesting to seee....the Stafford Group - they also own the huge Holiday Inn in hilton head.......

thats alot of development in a little bit of time for ol' midtown lol. i always thought they needed to build something tall near memorial hospital so that 20 story building wouldnt be all alone there.

192161759.jpg

Great News,

There was a meeting at the Hilton Garden Inn in Midtown Savannah about Commerical Development in Midtown/Southside.... Mr. Rhett Mouchet headed discussions on midtown, i loved when he said about the above shopping center - " Its prime location could attract major developers to the city, according to real estate broker Rhett Mouchet "

If all of you know, this shopping center is the most ugly part of midtown, I hate it.. I've always thought that this site will get reveloped and we'll have tenants to the city like Dick's Sporting Good or something of that nature...maybe CompUSA... but to the point, this will be the next big news well get about midtown watch.. it might be something like Atlantic Station in Atlanta, its the gateway to midtown sitting on Abercorn & Derenne! I hate seeing that strip plaza on derenne, and hate seeing the subway... that whole parcel with this shopping will turn midtown around... im excited and hope we land a very good developer to put a quality shopping center/office space here....

here's the link - Savannah Midtown Redevelopment

Also something my eyes came wide open is when Mouchet said " For one, land prices are out of sight: from 1 million to 1.5 million dollars or more per acre along Abercorn," he said. "And one of the most negative aspects of midtown and southside growth is the lack of quality, 'Class A' office and retail space on a large scale."

The space that is available sells for a premium comparable to prices seen in Atlanta's Buckhead area, he said " thats amazing.. I hope office developers are looking on! we need more highrise buildings in midtown, coca - this might be the answer to your 20 story hospital stated above hahahah

Edited by 109investments

I have a question about potential new developments. Is it just talk or is really in the works for the restoration of the squares where the civic center is?

Also does anyone know if the development on MLK that is being proposed by Dr. Evans is going to happen anytime soon? I have read like 3 city blocks of development south of the I-16 exchange is planned by him. Is this a reality?

I have a question about potential new developments. Is it just talk or is really in the works for the restoration of the squares where the civic center is?

Also does anyone know if the development on MLK that is being proposed by Dr. Evans is going to happen anytime soon? I have read like 3 city blocks of development south of the I-16 exchange is planned by him. Is this a reality?

the civic center thing was just specualtion, though i personally think it a good idea. MLK is going though a restoration and rebuilding of sorts i believe at some point within the next few years, i'm pretty sure that is official. is that the project oyu mean or is it diffrent?

the civic center thing was just specualtion, though i personally think it a good idea. MLK is going though a restoration and rebuilding of sorts i believe at some point within the next few years, i'm pretty sure that is official. is that the project oyu mean or is it diffrent?

Here is a link: http://savannahnow.com/node/213950

Around the middle to the end of this article it talks about the development I am talking about by Dr. Walter Evans. Let me know if this is what you are referring to.

Here is a link: http://savannahnow.com/node/213950

Around the middle to the end of this article it talks about the development I am talking about by Dr. Walter Evans. Let me know if this is what you are referring to.

its totally diffrent, what i was talking about is the actual rstoration of the street itself, i think they are putting in a median. however along with that goes all these developments. thats a good find you made, exciting news. mlk is going upwards, and there isnt anything to stop it lol. 109 investment told me about a bunch of hotels and such going up on mlk and i noticed another 4 - 5 story buildning going up next to the savannah station a couple weeks ago.

its totally diffrent, what i was talking about is the actual rstoration of the street itself, i think they are putting in a median. however along with that goes all these developments. thats a good find you made, exciting news. mlk is going upwards, and there isnt anything to stop it lol. 109 investment told me about a bunch of hotels and such going up on mlk and i noticed another 4 - 5 story buildning going up next to the savannah station a couple weeks ago.

Yea, I want to find out more about this potential development by Dr. Evans. It seems like a huge deal. I also think they are going to restore the old squares where the civic center is after Ellis is complete. I can see it happening. In 5 years I think downtown Savannah is going to be one of the most talked about places in the south. I can't wait to watch it happen.

You know what, speaking of midtown and southside, I think Stephenson Avenue has become quite attractive for the most part, even though that development is somewhat suburban in nature. And that medical park adjacent and/or across from Candler on DeRenne is quite neat looking. Midtown/Southside is becoming quite attractive. Now, what will become of Middleground Road? <_<

Yea, I want to find out more about this potential development by Dr. Evans. It seems like a huge deal. I also think they are going to restore the old squares where the civic center is after Ellis is complete. I can see it happening. In 5 years I think downtown Savannah is going to be one of the most talked about places in the south. I can't wait to watch it happen.

hmm i wonder how tall he will go. i'm crossing my fingers for another downtown highrise here lol. yeh savannah is really moving up the charts in terms of having a great downtown with alot of class. Savannah river landing will add to everything at least doublefold, especially in potential for that side of town. call me crazy, but i think in 15 years the MSA will be second in georgia. think about it, the 2006 estimat is like 320,000 - 330,000 , and in 5 years its supposed to be like 350,000 - 360,000. and its an ever increasing amount of growth.

hmm i wonder how tall he will go. i'm crossing my fingers for another downtown highrise here lol. yeh savannah is really moving up the charts in terms of having a great downtown with alot of class. Savannah river landing will add to everything at least doublefold, especially in potential for that side of town. call me crazy, but i think in 15 years the MSA will be second in georgia. think about it, the 2006 estimat is like 320,000 - 330,000 , and in 5 years its supposed to be like 350,000 - 360,000. and its an ever increasing amount of growth.

I'm not sure, I really think we will remain in 3rd place(though perhaps not as distant) It seems that Augusta grows at about the same pace(probably slightly less) and it's already far ahead. We'd have a real chance if we incorporated more counties which seems unlikely.

I'm not sure, I really think we will remain in 3rd place(though perhaps not as distant) It seems that Augusta grows at about the same pace(probably slightly less) and it's already far ahead. We'd have a real chance if we incorporated more counties which seems unlikely.

i know what you're saying, and yes we would have to add more counties, even as fast as effingham and bryan are growing already, but it seems like the big projects in the counties adjoining the savannah msa are geared towards a "live there, work in savannah" plan. most of it is residential. with a highrise zoned area in jasper county now, with that growth, and mostly working in savannah, or so it seems planned, that could add jasper. Mcintosh county is doing the same thing(though isnt it part of another msa already?). either way, if we arent ahead of augusta, i dont think well be too far behind at that point and eventually i do believe we will claim 2nd, though you really cant tell these things, it all comes down to the chances the cites actually act upon. all we know for sure is both are going to be alot bigger in about 15 - 25 years! : ) and if that interstate between the two is ever built the other 2nd teir cities will be eating savannah and augusta's dust..... but thats an if.

More Westside growth, Savannah Add's yet another wal-mart (9 in the area this will make 10 and the one in southside will make 11) and lowe's (1 in Savannah, 1 building in Rincon(2) and this one in Pooler(3)) theres another proposed in bluffton......

lowes_of_pooler.jpg

this is right off of Pooler Parkway and Pine Barren Road - add's number of out-parcels!

305waterford2.jpeg

this is the Food Lion Shopping Center in Port Wentworth, The center is under construction and will open in December... CVS is almost open and Zaxby's has started also .... other signed tenants are Family Dollar, Great Steak & Potatoe, A Steakhouse and another SPorts store....

Here is the 103 acre LifeStyle Center proposed in Port Wentworth on I-95 & Exit 109....

32_portwentworthstationnewflyerpublisher_page_1.jpg

More Westside growth, Savannah Add's yet another wal-mart (9 in the area this will make 10 and the one in southside will make 11) and lowe's (1 in Savannah, 1 building in Rincon(2) and this one in Pooler(3)) theres another proposed in bluffton......

lowes_of_pooler.jpg

this is right off of Pooler Parkway and Pine Barren Road - add's number of out-parcels!

I can't tell, but to me, that doesn't look like a supercenter. Plus, isn't it being built a bit too close to the existing Pooler Supercenter?

yeah its a supercenter, from what walmart says both walmarts should be fine! maybe they are banking on the goldey station area staying at the walmart close to 95 & adding the highlands population to that store becauses its only coming down benton..... and as for the pine barren walmart - have all the homes on pine barren and the other side of pooler maybe.. and some off of 16... walmart is nuts id say .... but hell bring it on - if they want a walmart 4 miles from each other thats more big boxs for pooler.... and they have made it a point that both walmarts will be open and working....

yeah its a supercenter, from what walmart says both walmarts should be fine! maybe they are banking on the goldey station area staying at the walmart close to 95 & adding the highlands population to that store becauses its only coming down benton..... and as for the pine barren walmart - have all the homes on pine barren and the other side of pooler maybe.. and some off of 16... walmart is nuts id say .... but hell bring it on - if they want a walmart 4 miles from each other thats more big boxs for pooler.... and they have made it a point that both walmarts will be open and working....

I think there should have been a Target to compete in Pooler.