Savannah Developments

Southron

As frequent visitor, fond admirer & hopeful future resident of Savannah I so hope to see this Vision for the 'Canal District' becomes a reality.

1382037514-west_boundary_civic_vision_pl

Check out the detailed vision plan here

Utilizing the western boundary properties, historic canals and railroad viaduct for active greenway space will do much to help revitalize/redevelop this area and more cohesively connect it to the core historic district so that these areas of Savannah's transportation history become one with the core historic district. This development in conjunction with with the planned/proposed extended streetcar service and arena will be hugely transformative and allow the western boundary to become a destination for locals and visitors. Very exciting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tanger confirms that it is teaming with Ben Carter on his new upscale outlet mall just west of Savannah. This is good news. Tanger just opened an outlet here at National Harbor just south of DC. I'm not an outlet kind of lady but I think the one at National Harbor is really nice. Carter broke ground on $200 million, 1 million square foot development in September. The mega complex is scheduled to open in April 2015.   

Carter broke ground on the $200 million, 1 million-square-foot development last September. Original plans projected 560,000 square feet of space for stores and restaurants and an additional 500,000 square feet for outparcel development such as hotels and other retailers. Carter said those plans remain intact — separate from Tanger’s complex — and that the biggest change is the name.

Source: http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2014-01-23/tanger-confirms-plans-develop-tanger-outlets-savannah#.UuJNj7ROkrg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Photos from 5/28/2018 new hotels on W River Street including the new Kessler's Plant Riverside hotel project and across River St the new Alida Hotel a Starwood Tribute hotel.  It is 8 stories on River St side.  The Alida opens in August according to this article.

http://www.savannahnow.com/business/20180428/city-talk-new-hotels-change-face-of-west-river-street

IMG_9483.JPG

IMG_9486.JPG

IMG_9402.JPG

IMG_9403.JPG

IMG_9407.JPG

IMG_9410.JPG

IMG_9412.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/5/2018 at 6:55 PM, SydneyCarton said:

KJH, I didn't know that you contribute to this forum too!  I love Savannah.   It's my favorite city in the South (excluding South Florida, which really isn't the South anyway).

Check out the new savannah photos above and on the photo of the day Savannah version.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Plant Riverside and its hotels construction continues and it is looking fantastic.  Photo from today.   Neighboring Hotel Alida is open at the west end of River Street already.   Plant Riverside will have over 400 Marriott branded rooms.  

IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More on the Savannah Harbor development on Hutchinson island first phase is a marina and some apartments.

Here is the master plan

http://www.woodandpartners.com/savannah-harbour-on-hutchinson/

another story about it

https://savannahagenda.com/remember-that-10-year-old-plan-to-develop-savannahs-hutchinson-island-it-may-actually-happen/

I saw this under construction when I was down there in January but no photos but I will get some next visit. 

from the Savannah Morning News today

""Hutchinson Island marina, apartments on the way
The years-long quest to develop Hutchinson Island seems to be gaining traction.   Last year, construction work began on a marina and 276 apartments on the island, where the Savannah Convention Center is also undergoing massive expansion.   The development, called Savannah Harbor, will be built-out in many phases, including a hotel, commercial and retail and more residential units. Developer John Cay said he envisions Hutchinson Island as adding an element to water-based living in Savannah.   "All great cities have both sides of the river. Paris has it's Left Bank, Charleston has Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island," Cay told the Savannah Morning News in August. "So, our mission is to create something extraordinarily special." ""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yes the news is official:  from Savannah News 

""Hyundai Motors announced plans Friday to build a $5.5 billion manufacturing facility near Savannah. The site will employ 8,100 workers between an electric vehicle assembly plant and an adjacent EV battery factory, making it the largest single economic development project in Georgia history.""

https://www.savannahnow.com/story/business/automotive/2022/05/20/hyundai-motors-savannah-ga-bryan-county-jobs-electric-cars-assembly-plant/9820711002/

South Korean automaker to invest $5.5 billion and employ 8,100 workers in facilities to be built on megasite property located adjacent to Interstate 16 near Ellabell

https://www.ajc.com/news/hyundai-ev-factory-to-be-announced-near-savannah/U6QAEVY72NGZBNJGZQFUHNJJ5U/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...