IN-PROGRESS: The Foundry

Has anyone been in The Foundry, either office or residential, and can comment on how good/bad the conversion has been? I know the state took some of the space for the Department of Environmental Management and I've seen the very good ArtInRuins page, but I don't have a sense of the quality.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been on some of the ground floor office space. It's typicle office space, except it's got kick-ass exposed brick walls. I'm sure the spaces on the upper levels are spectacular, with the high ceilings and large windows. I was in there years and years ago when a friend of mine worked at an artist studio in there, it's really amazing space.

They have a model unit on display for the new residential units, called the Promenade. Its nice. Marble countertops, typical amenities... The views from the upper floors are great. I plan to get a tour when they are done and I'll post some photos. Meanwhile, here is a small one from the PPS Winter Bash (where they made us enter through the model unit, which felt a little cheesy, but the people attending the bash were just the right type)

bash02.jpg

• 5 months later...

Projo article in todays paper gives an update on construction. 4 of the 9 manufacturing buildings have been converted into 220 luxury apartments. From the sounds of it, the rest have been rehab into commercial and office space and are 100% occupied.

Article HERE

• 10 months later...

Looks like they might be beginning renovations on the remaining vacant building of the Foundry Complex next to 95. There's new construction fencing all along the sidewalks and I saw lots of workmen doing what looked like interior demolition.

Long and excellent article in today's New York Times (Real estate section) about the Foundry Complex and all the development along the Woonasquatucket River.

Over the past few years the New York Times has done quite a number of favorable articles on Providence, most of which I have downloaded. Maybe I'll bring them to a forum meet. Of course they also do a number of stories on Hartford as well.

When I took a tour of the Foundry I was greatly unimpressed . While parts of the building were neat such as the lobby areas, gym and pool the rest of the bulding including the halways ( halways looked like a badly designed office ) and rooms where awful. Fixtures, appliances terrable and instead of laying hardwood on second floor units they slapped down carpet. Did I mention no unit has a washer or dryer?

taking a guess here, but maybe the company who has renovated the foundry did so as quick and cheap as possible to quickly return a profit to investors in the currently semi-hot providence real estate market [condo & apts] by selling to a firm whose goal may be to convert to condos thru upgrades or flipping or maybe another firm who intends to manage the property and turn profits by raising rents thru leases or condo sales etc

As if there wasn't enough going on, it definitely looks like the vacant Foundry bldg next to 95 is going to come online as something soon. They're doing interior demo, power washing, and masonry work. The bldg has got to be about 200K square feet. Offices? Condos? Hotel? Anyone know?

• 2 months later...

Got some information on the Foundry building next to 95 that's being worked on. (You can see the smokestack is covered in scaffolding and they're doing interior demo.)

The developers are calling it the Sharpe Building and it is being marketed for a mix of uses: commerical, hotel, and residential. The Preservation Society is going to hold its Winter Bash there in 2007

Got some information on the Foundry building next to 95 that's being worked on. (You can see the smokestack is covered in scaffolding and they're doing interior demo.)

The developers are calling it the Sharpe Building and it is being marketed for a mix of uses: commerical, hotel, and residential. The Preservation Society is going to hold its Winter Bash there in 2007

any estimated completion date????

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived