Richland Mall Redevelopment

lastweek

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midtown was supposed to be a mixed use urban village. Obviously that didn't pan out, but it made sense for what it was going to be.

I should have phrased better. The name should be changed now. MAFA is obviously not going to happen (it's been obvious to me for quite some time), so they just need to go back to Richland Mall or maybe Midtown Mall or something.

This is a prime example of a location where I think the "mall" as a concept will not work. They can try all they want to revive it, but until it becomes something new and exciting- like Midtown was supposed to be- then it will continue to be this half dead monstrosity.

This is a prime example of a location where I think the "mall" as a concept will not work. They can try all they want to revive it, but until it becomes something new and exciting- like Midtown was supposed to be- then it will continue to be this half dead monstrosity.

I just don't know about this place being "brought back." It never did that great in the first place. I noticed the article said Verizon will be leaving. They need anchors to be a successful mall. And I don't see what kind of anchors they would get. Belk does well seemingly, but what else? I read a theory somewhere once about maybe bringing Macy's to the mall (let's face it, their time at CP is probably limited), but that would almost be like jumping from the pot in to the frying pan for them and I would NOT expect that to happen at all. Maybe without Columbia Place and Dutch Square, it would have a better chance...but the town is just over-malled right now for them to try to revive this place. I'm honestly shocked it's still open.

Honestly, it's hard to tell this thing is even a mall. Looks like some sort of government building almost.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

An article in The State talks about the Mall's continuing failed attempts at attracting business. An expert says it will likely be 2-3 years until we see any real development. It's sad to hear that S/S Cafeteria closed, even though I never would have went there. I agree with the perrykat above and say that Columbia is just over-malled. I don't understand how we can continue to build malls so quickly here and leave the old ones. The last time I went to Richland Mall was to see Bubble Boy when I was 11 or 12. Needless to say it wasn't a good memory. I also recall walking around after the movie and seeing hardly no store open. A woman from the base had found her way there and was asking if we knew where the Victoria's Secret was. We had to tell her to keep searching because we weren't sure if Columbia Place still had theirs either. Stores flee quickly in the midlands.

Richland Mall is dead, Columbia Place is dead, Dutch Square is dead......honestly the only shopping centers that seem to be thriving are Columbiana and VAS. I just find it odd how far behind Columbia is compared to its peer cities Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta...etc. They don't even have valet parking at Columbiana yet (Carolina Place does in Charlotte and it is the same company).

Richland Mall is dead, Columbia Place is dead, Dutch Square is dead......honestly the only shopping centers that seem to be thriving are Columbiana and VAS. I just find it odd how far behind Columbia is compared to its peer cities Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta...etc. They don't even have valet parking at Columbiana yet (Carolina Place does in Charlotte and it is the same company).

Those cities haven't been 'peer' cities to Columbia in many years. They are all much larger.

FYI columbia has 1/6 the city population of Charlotte, 1/4 of Atlanta and 1/3 of Raleigh... we won't even go into metro area. Hell we won't even go into Demographics, Columbia has very little money... Columbia should look more like Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Augusta, Montgomery... Its peanuts in comparison to the cities you mentioned...

I know it's been mentioned before in this thread, but do you guys think luring Macy's away from Columbia Place will help breathe some life into this mall?

I don't think they would abandon Columbia altogether

A Burlington Coat Factory would breathe life into this mall. Or even a Chick fil a.

FYI columbia has 1/6 the city population of Charlotte, 1/4 of Atlanta and 1/3 of Raleigh... we won't even go into metro area.

Metro is the real standard to go by. No one would expect Charlotte to have more than Atlanta (or Miami or DC or Boston) because it has a larger city population.

Hell we won't even go into Demographics, Columbia has very little money... Columbia should look more like Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Augusta, Montgomery... Its peanuts in comparison to the cities you mentioned...

Columbia's GDP is around where it ought to be for a city its size, at least compared to its regional peers. Of the cities you listed, Charleston and Augusta (and Greensboro, Knoxville, etc.) are more its peers. Savannah, Wilmington, and Montgomery, not as much as Columbia's metro is over twice as large as those cities'.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's horrible. Who would rather work in a former call center than in downtown? I honestly can't understand that. It may cost a little more to be in downtown, but if you look at what employees are looking for- especially of the younger generations- it's places that are more urban in character. Places where you can live/work in the same area, and where there are lots of entertainment options. Richland mall does not qualify for that.

This falls into the same category as SCANA's relocation to the middle of nowhere in Lexington County.

• 2 months later...

Richland Mall has seen tough times recently, with stores and restaurants closing its doors. But starting in February, there's a new reason for shoppers to show up.

"Like the mall, we want to bring something unique to Forest Acres," said Phillip Rowe of Rowe Productions.

Rowe's new brainchild could soon breathe new life into the struggling mall with the help of a fine arts studio.

"This first year is what is really going to set things off," said Rowe. "It's not just a place to come and watch and an event, but a place where you can come and get involved so you can be in the event."

Rowe's Fine Arts Theater inside the mall will hold live performances, art displays, and even concerts.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived