SunTrust Plaza Nashville

it's just dave

Although not very tall, the building will occupy hallowed ground next to the Ryman Auditiorium and will pay respect to the historical nature of the venue.

I've attached the Tennessean article if anyone wants more details. As I've said before, anytime we can fill up another darn parking lot, it's progress. Luckily, this one looks really good and will enhance the Commerce streetscape quite well. The views from Second will be pretty nice when this is completed.

http://img14.imgspot.com/?u=05/74/10/SunTrustNew.jpg

http://tennessean.com/business/archives/05...ent_ID=66992495

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it...burying one more parking lot and add some density. This is a good size building for the site...you wouldn't want to build a 500 footer next to a building like the Ryman...it just wouldn't look right.

I support just about anything between 10-35 stories going up in downtown Nashville.

i'm glad to see they are keeping it classy looking, but not enough to distract from the ryman. downtown's density is getting better too with this and the viridian going up (and hopefully the signature sometime soon).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know why...but I really don't want the Signature Tower...it's just...not...Nashville. I don't like the looks...I hope that later drafts will change that opinion. Also, I would rather have a 500-600 foot tower than a 700+ foot tower right now.

I don't know why...but I really don't want the Signature Tower...it's just...not...Nashville.  I don't like the looks...I hope that later drafts will change that opinion.  Also, I would rather have a 500-600 foot tower than a 700+ foot tower right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree about the looks of the building, they don't really go with the city. i really wanna see a new series of tall building in nashville though. especially if they will be accessable on the ground like the signature would be.

I don't want to get too much into the Sig Tower, but nashvol, I sure agree with the picture you posted earlier of the Atlanta tower...not sure what it was. I like that much better.

The final design, if one is being developed, will probably be quite different from the early version. I hope so anyway.

I've said it before, I'm really much more concerned with filling up the empty spaces and creating interesting streetscapes. Towers are nice, but they're just tall buildings you can't go into for the most part. Streets with an emphasis on people seem to be the way to go. I'm not Spider-man, I have to have my latte streetside. (like I did Saturday, at the library Provence, hanging out with some cast members from Movin' Up). Hmmm, I wonder what I'd look like with fire engine red, spiked hair. I wonder. I shiver.

We'll get towers eventually, but let's fill up the parking lots and create interesting spaces for interesting people.

I've said it before, I'm really much more concerned with filling up the empty spaces and creating interesting streetscapes. Towers are nice, but they're just tall buildings you can't go into for the most part. Streets with an emphasis on people seem to be the way to go. I'm not Spider-man, I have to have my latte streetside. (like I did Saturday, at the library Provence, hanging out with some cast members from Movin' Up). Hmmm, I wonder what I'd look like with fire engine red, spiked hair. I wonder. I shiver.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I like the idea of gaining some density, especially in the core and SoBro. I hope that we can bury some of those parking lots...or build some parking garages...open up some space to build some nice mid-highrises (architectually speaking)...

I agree with all of you about the design of the sig tower. I like the idea of a 700ft building. I know this might sound crazy. I would like them to build a batman part 2. Its crazy but in Chicago that have the sears tower and the hancock building. Batman is such a great part of nashville, I would love to see a bigger better BM2....

I agree with all of you about the design of the sig tower. I like the idea of a 700ft building. I know this might sound crazy. I would like them to build a batman part 2. Its crazy but in Chicago that have the sears tower and the hancock building. Batman is such a great part of nashville, I would love to see a bigger better BM2....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe they could build a robin or a joker ;)

Dave is right. it's better than a surface parkig lot. I wish we had an enforceable law against surface parking. I mentioned in another thread that William Williams wrote an article last summer about other cities mandating a building be replaced if one is torn down.

I wish they had gone, say 22 floors to add height to say around 300 feet to impact the skyline, but 13 will probably be 150-175 feet. It will be noticed. I wonder why they did not go 16? The paper said "between 13 and 16 floors."

Dave is right. it's better than a surface parkig lot. I wish we had an enforceable law against surface parking. I mentioned in another thread that William Williams wrote an article last summer about other cities mandating a building be replaced if one is torn down.

I wish they had gone, say 22 floors to add height to say around 300 feet to impact the skyline, but 13 will probably be 150-175 feet. It will be noticed. I wonder why they did not go 16? The paper said "between 13 and 16 floors."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you have gathered from my previous posts how much I love your city. I graduated from Vandy in '93, and Nashville has changed dramatically since then (for the better).

Having said that, I find a lot of the corporate and civic leaders to be conservative and timid when it comes to building proposals and zoning (e.g. the absolutely idiotic parking lot requirements for buildings in the midtown zone). So I'll go on record as saying that I think there are several absolutely boring and uninspired. What is this damn love affair that Nashvillians have with precast concrete buildings (e.g. Loew's Hotel, Vandy/Childrens Hospitals, Lifeway, Hilton Hotel, et. al.)?

Buildings on my SH*T list:

Bellsouth - The dual spires look like something that a fourth grader drew and thinks looks really COOL! Plus, I'm just not a fan of fake spires anyway (e.g. BofA here in ATL).

Loew's Hotel - See above

HCA complex - Too Utilitarian

There are others, but I have to go right now. Thanks. You guys keep up the good work.

I wish I could post pics of all the proposals I remember, but here goes:

The Cumberland: originally proposed by Joe Rogers for the site occupied by the Marriot Courtyard on fourth. 19 stories.

Nashville City Center 2: 40 stories. Richard Fletcher of the NCC Partnership said the second tower is dead for lack of interest back in 1989.

Church Street Tower: 20 stories. Proposed by Tony Giarratanna in 1987 where the Cumberland now stands.

The Ryman Complex: A 323 million dollar complex with one 47 story building surrounded by five 27 story buildings. Central Parking was in on the deal

The Tower on Broadway: 19 stories. To be added to the top of the old post office which is now home to the Frist Center.

7th street Tower: A 48 story tower where the James Robertson Apartments are

Third and Church: A 15 story building next to Washington Square. It died due to the architectual standards did not fit in with the surrounding buildings.

The Condo Tower at the Rennassiance: 11 stories. The Rennaissance Hotel building was supposed to be 42 stories instead of 31. Ted Welch told me that at the time they had little interest in downtown living and that 31 stories was high enough for Nashville. 42 would have been monsterous at the time, but now with the Bellsouth being 660 feet with the spires, and the Viridian on the way, they probably should have done it.

The Marina Tower: The 620 foot Tower we discussed in a couple of threads.

The West End Condo: 32 stories. A brick facade tower on West End. It died last year. I saw the pic of it while touring the city paper. It lost its financing.

American Center: 24 stories. The original plans for the brown glass towers on 32nd and West End. A neighborhood group filed suit in Chancery Court to stop the building because it would block out the sunlight all day. Thus we have two 12 story towers built several years apart.

The towers on Old broadway: 24 and 28 stories. Condos by the Boundry now that are dwindled down to one 18 story tower due to break ground in the summer.

West End Summit: 19 and 25 stories. Lets see if this goes through.

The Signature Tower: 55 stories. Lets hope and pray.

All of these buildings are in the Nashville Banner and Nashville Tennessean archives. They may be available on line somewhere.

Can you imagine if all of this had been built?

the vacancy rate is bad enough as it is. if all of those had been built we'd only have one company per building. i think nashville has gone the direction it's needed to have gone. now would it look cool if they had all been built? definatly.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived