Amusement Park for RI

DaveRPI

Got a few things to say about this, but no time to post them right now... figured I'd throw the idea out there and see what people have to say. I'll post some stuff later on today with what I was thinking...

For a state, which historically has had tourism as one of its main industires, it makes sense to have some sort of amusement park...

Post some amusement/entertainment park ideas that you think would fit into the RI toursim landscape...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did Rocky Point close? Just an inability to keep up with changes in it's industry?

There really isn't anything in the way of amusement parks in Southeastern New England, you really have to go to Six Flags New England. Our central location in the New England population well would benefit us for this, just as it would for the soccer stadium. I think in the 'Ocean State' a visitor should expect us to have a kick-ass water park at least. I see this being down Warwick way, or at Quonset Point if a space could be found. It would have to have good transit connections to Providence, but realistically, good highway access and lots of parking is the primary concern.

From what I can recall, Rocky Point wasn't pulling in the cash it needed to survive, particurly given the fact that land speculators were very eager to get their hands on Rocky Point's great location in order to make a lot of money on residential development. Rocky Point's rides wer outdated and the park would have needed to invest in newer rides to compete with the likes of Riverside Park.

As an aside, if memory serves me correctly, back in the 1990s there was a proposal thrown around for a 6 flags type park in RI. Anyone remember that?

As an aside, if memory serves me correctly, back in the 1990s there was a proposal thrown around for a 6 flags type park in RI.  Anyone remember that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't remember that, but there were several proposals for amusement parks on or near the Cape. Busch Gardens in Hyannis, Disney was looking at land in Plymouth... I think Six Flags was looking at the Cape before they went to Springfield, they may have been eyeing spots in Rhode Island at the same time.

PS: welcome to UP!

Why did Rocky Point close? Just an inability to keep up with changes in it's industry?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rocky Point had some rough years in the late 80's early 90's, however for the last few years they had really turned the business around and it was making money. The parent company that owned the park however made some bad real estate investments and that took the company down (and rocky point with it). I think it was a huge loss for the state. It was a beautiful example of a classic New England amusement park and a really fun place too. When I was in high school we would go all the time - Ride all day tickets were like $10 or so and they frequently had good bands in the Palladium (I remember seeing Beastie Boys and the Ramones there) and really bad bands on the midway (Quiet Riot! Mojo Nixon! Woohoo!!). I would have done anything for it to reopen, or at the very least become a state park. Its so sad to see the state it's in today.

Liam

Growing up on the Cape I think I only came to Rocky Point once, and I was very young when I did. We went to Lincoln Park in Dartmouth and Paragon Park in Nantasket Beach. I can't believe they're all gone. :(

Growing up on the Cape I think I only came to Rocky Point once, and I was very young when I did. We went to Lincoln Park in Dartmouth and Paragon Park in Nantasket Beach. I can't believe they're all gone.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never went to Paragon, but I did goto Lincoln a few times. It really is sad that none of them are left. I like big theme parks and all, but they are so expensive that it becomes impossible for a lot of lower income families to go. With the old New England parks anyone could afford to take a trip. A nice summer day of rides followed up by dinner of chowder and clamcakes overlooking the bay is pretty hard to beat.

Liam

I don't remember that, but there were several proposals for amusement parks on or near the Cape. Busch Gardens in Hyannis, Disney was looking at land in Plymouth... I think Six Flags was looking at the Cape before they went to Springfield, they may have been eyeing spots in Rhode Island at the same time.

PS: welcome to UP!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I remember the 6 flags rumors floating around this state. It was rumored to be somewhere around Hope Valley, but the folks at Six Flags denied it. The rumors then switched to Hartford and eventually fizzeled out.

i would say that an amusement park developer would want an easily accessed area near newport because of the summer tourism industry there, but my favorite location would be in East Providence on the waterfront somewhere. I'm not sure there is enough room for a Disney or Six Flags type park, but I think we could find enough room for a Cedar Point type park. The location would be great! I can already imagine it.... The bay and downtown Providence as a backdrop, marinas, clubs, walking trails, maybe a new golf course, the bike path, future commuter transit lines, ball fields, and how about some cold weather attractions as well... gtg back to work now, but this is a fun topic since summer is just around the corner!

i would say that an amusement park developer would want an easily accessed area near newport because of the summer tourism industry there, but my favorite location would be in East Providence on the waterfront somewhere. I'm not sure there is enough room for a Disney or Six Flags type park, but I think we could find enough room for a Cedar Point type park.

Well Cedar Point is huge. It's certainly bigger than Six Flags New England.

But it is interesting you mention East Providence, because a long time ago there was a very popular amusement park there (around where the current Crescent Park Carousel is in Riverside) called Vanity Fair. The park was served by train and the rides there were quite amazing for the day. I'm sure there are some pics somewhere out there on the net...

Well Cedar Point is huge.  It's certainly bigger than Six Flags New England. 

But it is interesting you mention East Providence, because a long time ago there was a very popular amusement park there (around where the current Crescent Park Carousel is in Riverside) called Vanity Fair.  The park was served by train and the rides there were quite amazing for the day.  I'm sure there are some pics somewhere out there on the net...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the old GW Bridge linking providence to East Providence! What a site that must have been.

bustrip2.jpg

Anyway, what I wanted to say is the ArtInRuins link below has more great info on this park.

http://www.artinruins.com/arch/historical/...yfair/index.php

yea i knew about that carousel park

there were a TON of those amusement parks all over southern new england

cedar point's main ride park isnt too bad a size

go to their website

it sits on a peninsula similar to bullocks point

they have added areas on like resorts, marinas, hotels, water parks, restaurants, etc etc etc

but that stuff would all have to be phased in by investors or by the park itself if it were to be in EP

i say start with a solid square 1/2 mile [half the size of central falls] and put in a dense city oriented amusement park that has access to the water so that marinas, water sports, and waterfront parks, bike paths, etc can be integrated

work is over gtg

peace

There is a reasonably new amusement/theme park in downtown Denver: Six Flags Elitch Gardens, so I guess its possible for one to open in a place like East Providence, but I cant see it happening. I could see one near Foxwoods or in some rural area with good highway access. Newport is a good place too, maybe somewhere in Middletown or Portsmouth (but highway access is bad on Aquidneck Island).

• 3 months later...

Growing up on the Cape I think I only came to Rocky Point once, and I was very young when I did. We went to Lincoln Park in Dartmouth and Paragon Park in Nantasket Beach. I can't believe they're all gone.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of this - when I was a kid we use to go to this one beach (could have been a lake) in Conneticut I think, and this place had slides and swimout docks in the water. Does anyone know what I am talking about - I am going through old memories and would like to know the name of this beach and if it is still there today.

Speaking of this - when I was a kid we use to go to this one beach (could have been a lake) in Conneticut I think, and this place had slides and swimout docks in the water.  Does anyone know what I am talking about - I am going through old memories and would like to know the name of this beach and if it is still there today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spring Lake in Burrilville had (has?) swimout docks with slides and whatnot. They had an awesome arcade of all oldschool penny arcade games too. I used to love it there.

Speaking of this - when I was a kid we use to go to this one beach (could have been a lake) in Conneticut I think, and this place had slides and swimout docks in the water.  Does anyone know what I am talking about - I am going through old memories and would like to know the name of this beach and if it is still there today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not Lake Compounce in Bristol, CT?

• 5 years later...

Speaking of this - when I was a kid we use to go to this one beach (could have been a lake) in Conneticut I think, and this place had slides and swimout docks in the water. Does anyone know what I am talking about - I am going through old memories and would like to know the name of this beach and if it is still there today.

I know its been years since you posted this, but you are referring to Wildwood Park, it was on Lake Alexander in Danielson CT. It closed in the late 80's...or maybe early 90's. Mostly due to high insurance costs to operate it. The structures are still there, but are fenced off.

Archived