More Renovations on Grandville Ave.

joeDowntown

There are more renovations on the way on Grandville Avenue. Terra Firma, which worked on developing the Brassworks Building and the current rehab on Pearl and Monroe (site of Wojo's Piano Bar) is rehabbing multiple Buildings on Grandville Avenue (near the Grand Central Station). It will include loft apartments, office or retail on the main level and an "upscale" climate controlled self storage facility that will include exposed brick and hardwood floors. The building currently houses Corporate color.

Another renovation on Grandville is good news. Now they need to renovate that cool little building with the Anheiser Busch symbol facade (I think it was an original anheiser busch warehouse in the early 20th century). I LOVE that building.

Joe

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news. It would be great if grandville became an active neighborhood all the way from downtown to the hispanic area. The gap between the two has definitely narrowed in recent years, and apparently continues to narrow.

There are more renovations on the way on Grandville Avenue. Terra Firma, which worked on developing the Brassworks Building and the current rehab on Pearl and Monroe (site of Wojo's Piano Bar) is rehabbing multiple Buildings on Grandville Avenue (near the Grand Central Station). It will include loft apartments, office or retail on the main level and an "upscale" climate controlled self storage facility that will include exposed brick and hardwood floors. The building currently houses Corporate color.

Another renovation on Grandville is good news. Now they need to renovate that cool little building with the Anheiser Busch symbol facade (I think it was an original anheiser busch warehouse in the early 20th century). I LOVE that building.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 months later...

Joe,

We have the same vision on Grandville Avenue; I see this as a huge growth opportunity for sure.

I posted on another thread about our rehab plans for 206-216 Grandville. In short, 26 apartments -- trendy / funky urban not the typical white box. We'll have 50,000 square foot self-storage facility, and retail on the ground floor of approximately 20,000 SF. Corporate Color is staying in place for now, as is Shippert Photography.

Regarding your comments on 72 Grandville (the old Anheuser ice house) consider it done; I bought an option on that building a couple months ago and will close on it before the end of the year. Waiting for the right 1031 tax exchange opportunity.

Since you are "Joe downtown" perhaps you have some good ideas for uses ? I've considered residential, loft office, and retail. I'd really like to see it be a mini-BOB entertainment / multi bar restaurant complex. Gotta find the user though.

This is really where the new Post bar shoulda gone; I was too late.

Office could work well there too but frankly i've been having trouble finding tenants for 44 Grandville (bistro bldg) which is right next door.....

Eric

Joe,

We have the same vision  on Grandville Avenue; I see this as a huge growth opportunity for sure. 

I posted on another thread about our rehab plans for 206-216 Grandville.  In short, 26 apartments -- trendy / funky urban not the typical white box.  We'll have 50,000 square foot self-storage facility, and retail on the ground floor of approximately 20,000 SF.  Corporate Color is staying in place for now, as is Shippert Photography.

Regarding your comments on 72 Grandville (the old Anheuser ice house) consider it done; I bought an option on that building a couple months ago and will close on it before the end of the year.  Waiting for the right 1031 tax exchange opportunity.

Since you are "Joe downtown" perhaps you have some  good ideas for uses ?  I've considered residential, loft office, and retail.  I'd really like to see it be a mini-BOB entertainment / multi bar restaurant complex.  Gotta find the user though.

Office could work well there too but frankly i've been having trouble finding tenants for 44 Grandville (bistro bldg) which is right next door.....

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, can you give us any ideas on layouts or pricing of these apartments? I'm all for the affordable living downtown. I loved american seating, it was just a little too.... frat party for me now that i'm working full time and don't find the fire alarm being pulled at 3 am funny any more... :blink:

As for the 72 Grandville building. What size is it? I'm not familiar with that building. Anyone have pics?

So, can you give us any ideas on layouts or pricing of these apartments?  I'm all for the affordable living downtown.  I loved american seating, it was just a little too.... frat party for me now that i'm working full time and don't find the fire alarm being pulled at 3 am funny any more... :blink:

As for the 72 Grandville building.  What size is it?  I'm not familiar with that building.  Anyone have pics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have pics of both but lack the intelligence to post them. Seems lke they need to be put on a website first or something? I don't hvae a "URL" for them, they're just in my "my pictures" file... I dont get it...

Regarding your ? on 206-216 Grandville, apartments will be available this fall and range from 2-3 BR"s and will cost $1200-1700 / month. Huge roof-top deck overlooking downtown, plenty of storage, parking included, etc.

On 72 Grandville, the building is about 22,000 square feet, multi-level with a huge interior "courtyard." So many possibilities I cannot decide which direction to take; hopefully my plans will evolve before I have to close on it.

Ideas anyone ?

I have pics of both but lack the intelligence to post them.  Seems lke they need to be put on a website first or something?  I don't hvae a "URL" for them, they're just in my "my pictures" file...  I dont get it...

Regarding your ? on 206-216 Grandville, apartments will be available this fall and range from 2-3 BR"s and will cost $1200-1700 / month.  Huge roof-top deck overlooking downtown, plenty of storage, parking included, etc.

On 72 Grandville, the building is about 22,000 square feet, multi-level with a huge interior "courtyard."  So many possibilities I cannot decide which direction to take; hopefully my plans will evolve before I have to close on it.

Ideas anyone ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Terra -

Do you have any sort of online literature for either property?

J.R.

I'm all for more nightlife downtown :D If I had the funds, i'd probably to a BOBesque type setup, resturaunt/nightclub. Depending on the "courtyard", there could be a MILLION sweet ideas. My friends and I have talked countless times about ideas for clubs/resturaunts, too bad we have limited resources.

If not that, cheaper loftstyle apartments, $650-950/month deals. I think from people I know, there's a LOT of 20 somethings that would LOVE to live downtown. The problem is job market/entry level pay in GR is ROUGH at best. You're talking 24 y/os making 24k base to 35k for most jobs I've heard about. They end up living in the Hill where it's cheaper. I know in cities like Chicago, a 600sq ft studio goes for around 1k a month, I just dont' think the market here in GR is there yet.

I'm all for more nightlife downtown  :D  If I had the funds, i'd probably to a BOBesque type setup, resturaunt/nightclub.  Depending on the "courtyard", there could be a MILLION sweet ideas.  My friends and I have talked countless times about ideas for clubs/resturaunts, too bad we have limited resources.

If not that, cheaper loftstyle apartments, $650-950/month deals.  I think from people I know, there's a LOT of 20 somethings that would LOVE to live downtown.  The problem is job market/entry level pay in GR is ROUGH at best.  You're talking 24 y/os making 24k base to 35k for most jobs I've heard about.  They end up living in the Hill where it's cheaper.  I know in cities like Chicago, a 600sq ft studio goes for around 1k a month, I just dont' think the market here in GR is there yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PBJ -

You are dead on with your comment. Aside from Boardwalk the living downtown is almost out of the "yuppie" range.

J.R.

Joe,

Regarding your comments on 72 Grandville (the old Anheuser ice house) consider it done; I bought an option on that building a couple months ago and will close on it before the end of the year.  Waiting for the right 1031 tax exchange opportunity.

Since you are "Joe downtown" perhaps you have some  good ideas for uses ?  I've considered residential, loft office, and retail.  I'd really like to see it be a mini-BOB entertainment / multi bar restaurant complex.  Gotta find the user though.

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a Dave & Busters type of place:

http://www.daveandbusters.com/?f=1

My neighbor and some friends opened up a gaming center on Leonard called Ultimate LAN Experience (more for the 16-25 yr old set) less than a year ago, and they are already looking to expand into the space next door. Gaming is big.

Maybe some kind of Beer Garden like Bells in KZoo to celebrate the building's history?

Woody's in Royal Oak (if it is still there) is cool how it has the telescoping windows on the second floor, and a rooftop deck.

An upscale pool hall?

Buca Di Beppos, great Italian restaurants: http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

I am trying to think of what other niche entertainment centers we don't have already that I have seen in other cities??

How about a Dave & Busters type of place:

http://www.daveandbusters.com/?f=1

My neighbor and some friends opened up a gaming center on Leonard called Ultimate LAN Experience (more for the 16-25 yr old set) less than a year ago, and they are already looking to expand into the space next door.  Gaming is big.

Maybe some kind of Beer Garden like Bells in KZoo to celebrate the building's history?

Woody's in Royal Oak (if it is still there) is cool how it has the telescoping windows on the second floor, and a rooftop deck.

An upscale pool hall?

Buca Di Beppos, great Italian restaurants:  http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

I am trying to think of what other niche entertainment centers we don't have already that I have seen in other cities??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second the Dave and Busters idea. Seems like a great idea.. I was under the impression that we were supposed to get something like that in GR a while back. What ever happened to that, does anyone know?

I second the Dave and Busters idea.  Seems like a great idea..  I was under the impression that we were supposed to get something like that in GR a while back.  What ever happened to that, does anyone know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought there were a couple of proposed projects, like a "Bob"-style place near Ionia and Oakes, and a Spaghetti Factory I think where Design Plus is now. That was in the late 90's, if I'm not mistaken. There were also rumors of a possible Hard Rock Cafe :lol: Overpriced bad food.

I second the Dave and Busters idea.  Seems like a great idea..  I was under the impression that we were supposed to get something like that in GR a while back.  What ever happened to that, does anyone know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are some great idea. We'll see what the brokerge guys can get from it.

Regarding the entertainment tenat you "heard about recently' it's probably the inPlay guys who I had a deal with on 216 Grandville. That went very much dead, but was a neat idea. They have it in peoria (www.inplaypeoria.com) and we tried pretty hard. Not sure what happened to them, they went silent around January or so....

That is a neat use idea, especially for that block with Intersection, bus stop (easy for kids to get there) before / after arena events.... we'll chase it down and report back.

Eric

Those are some great idea.  We'll see what the brokerge guys can get from it.

Regarding the entertainment tenat you "heard about recently' it's probably the inPlay guys who I had a deal with on 216 Grandville.  That went very much dead, but was a neat idea.  They have it in peoria (www.inplaypeoria.com) and we tried pretty hard.  Not sure what happened to them, they went silent around January or so....

That is a neat use idea, especially for that block with Intersection, bus stop (easy for kids to get there) before / after arena events....  we'll chase it down and report back.

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great! Check back here later and see if others have ideas, too.

That's great!  Check back here later and see if others have ideas, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll do that.

My listing broker has a relationship w/ the Dave + Buster's people, we'll hit it tomorrow.

Great website, never knew about it until this AM. Super valuable resource for people me; it's all about rumors and gossip.....

Regarding the entertainment tenat you "heard about recently' it's probably the inPlay guys who I had a deal with on 216 Grandville. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's it. I heard they started work on the inside of the building (sandblasting) and everything.. I wonder what happened.

I think some kind of downtown indoor waterpark would be awesome. Look at the success of Great Wolf Lodge, etc and I'd say it could be a good idea. That Holiday Inn out on 68th and m-6/131 supposedly has a 4-week wait to get rooms on weekends because of the demand for the waterpark. There are plenty of spots around downtown that would be perfect... especially south of the Van Andel where I hope to see the downtown revival spread even more.

I think some kind of downtown indoor waterpark would be awesome. Look at the success of Great Wolf Lodge, etc and I'd say it could be a good idea. That Holiday Inn out on 68th and m-6/131 supposedly has a 4-week wait to get rooms on weekends because of the demand for the waterpark. There are plenty of spots around downtown that would be perfect... especially south of the Van Andel where I hope to see the downtown revival spread even more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about something like an Ed Debevic's for that building? Unique building, unique restaurant. A good diner is one of the few food choices that isn't available downtown. A 24 hour diner at that location, next to the "VanAndel", down the street from the bus terminal, and near the night spots might be a good choice.

oh man, a dave & busters would rock. it would make a great alternative to the standard bar & club scene.

plus it would give some real legitimacy towards dt in general kind of like hard rock cafe even though it is overpriced fare.

even though gr is on the smaller side, i'm a sucker for niketowns.

Somthing I would have loved to see DT is an Apple store. I was almost sure that he first one in the region was going to be in that part of the city. Since more young people are chosing downtown for work, living, and entertianment I assumed that it would be an obvious choise. Too bad that they decided to rent a stall in Woodland instead.

Yeah that's it.  I heard they started work on the inside of the building (sandblasting) and everything.. I wonder what happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, we did start some work but nothing specific to their use. We started sandblasting in november and worked all winter. Demo first, then sandblasted about 100,000 sq ft. Now were into floor re-finishing and utility upgrades. Final construction doc's completed yesterday.

I hope to begin interior buildouts next month and be done in the fall.

you guys are gonna like this one.

Yes, we did start some work but nothing specific to their use.  We started sandblasting in november and worked all winter.  Demo first, then sandblasted about 100,000 sq ft.  Now were into floor re-finishing and utility upgrades.  Final construction doc's completed yesterday.

I hope to begin interior buildouts next month and be done in the fall. 

you guys are gonna like this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to be over that way on Thursday morning, I think I'll drive by.. because in all honesty I don't know where exactly this building is. Do you have a sign on the outside so I can distinguish your building or should i be able to pick it out easily. Have you done many exterior renovations?

Archived