More Renovations on Grandville Ave.

joeDowntown

Yes, we did start some work but nothing specific to their use.  We started sandblasting in november and worked all winter.  Demo first, then sandblasted about 100,000 sq ft.  Now were into floor re-finishing and utility upgrades.  Final construction doc's completed yesterday.

I hope to begin interior buildouts next month and be done in the fall. 

you guys are gonna like this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe this should be in it's own thread, so feel free to start one in response, but who exactly is "Terra Firma". Are you a one man show? General Contractor, Developer, Designer, all the above? how'd you get started "in the biz" etc etc... Just a curious person who likes to know these types of random things.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be over that way on Thursday morning, I think I'll drive by.. because in all honesty I don't know where exactly this building is.  Do you have a sign on the outside so I can distinguish your building or should i be able to pick it out easily.  Have you done many exterior renovations?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The address is 206-216 Grandville, first complex South of the S-Curve and immediately North of the new ITP bus terminal. Still rough outside, feel free to pop inside and look around !

elevation.jpg

72 Grandville

AB425260DCFC11D9B9EF80ED4326AE04.jpg

206 - 216 Grandville

AE1102C0DCFC11D98A2F8A2A4326AE04.jpg

How's that for service :P  Not my best work, but this monsoon season we are having is not very photogenic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for posting the pic "as-is". Here's what it looks like sometime late summer / early fall !!

Eric

First, Welcome Eric. I'm a big fan of what you have done downtown.

The entertainment project in question was Jillian's. A very Dave & Busters / Gameworks type of place. Rockford Construction was very close to closing the deal and then something happened (could have been profits in the corp, I don't know).

The nice thing about the prospects of a Hard Rock Cafe was the fact that they wanted to build one with a 1000-1200 seat theatre like they have in Cleveland and Chicago. The thought was that GR would be a perfect "layover" city for bands travelling between the venues in Cleveland and Chicago. The problem here is that we were in competition with Detroit. I don't know if Detroit ever got it, but I think the idea is pretty dead, especially with Gilmore's plans.

As for the Anheiser Busch building, I think if I were to develop something, it would have to be destination oriented because of it is a bit outside the Entertainment district. I also agree that an entertainment venue would be great. A multi-level entertainment complex with several distinct bars, (an ultralounge like you see in Vegas would be great) mezzanines, some games, and as crazy as it may seem; bowling. Most people like to bowl but hate the atmosphere. Cozy leather couches with uniquely stained lanes would be great. I'm talking 5-6 lanes max. I saw this once in Philly and it was great. Very busy. Actually, the Dave and Busters in Philadelphia was also incredibly busy. My problem with Video game joints is (a) The technology evolves too quickly and is costly to turn the inventory (which is necessary) and (B) Video games are such a commodity now, arcades don't have much to offer as they have lost their competitive edge (first it was graphics quality, then it was head-to-head play, now it almost has to be a gimmick).

Also, the center part of the roof would make a great outdoor entertainment venue. Depending on the sound restrictions, I think it would be great to see an outdoor rooftop dancefloor ala Skybar in L.A. or the Palms in Las Vegas.

I also think the Post Bar would be perfect for your building. The building they are going in is so so. Pretty small too! It should help attract business though.

First, Welcome Eric. I'm a big fan of what you have done downtown.

The entertainment project in question was Jillian's. A very Dave & Busters / Gameworks type of place. Rockford Construction was very close to closing the deal and then something happened (could have been profits in the corp, I don't know).

The nice thing about the prospects of a Hard Rock Cafe was the fact that they wanted to build one with a 1000-1200 seat theatre like they have in Cleveland and Chicago. The thought was that GR would be a perfect "layover" city for bands travelling between the venues in Cleveland and Chicago. The problem here is that we were in competition with Detroit. I don't know if Detroit ever got it, but I think the idea is pretty dead, especially with Gilmore's plans.

As for the Anheiser Busch building, I think if I were to develop something, it would have to be destination oriented because of it is a bit outside the Entertainment district. I also agree that an entertainment venue would be great. A multi-level entertainment complex with several distinct bars, (an ultralounge like you see in Vegas would be great) mezzanines, some games, and as crazy as it may seem; bowling. Most people like to bowl but hate the atmosphere. Cozy leather couches with uniquely stained lanes would be great. I'm talking 5-6 lanes max. I saw this once in Philly and it was great. Very busy. Actually, the Dave and Busters in Philadelphia was also incredibly busy. My problem with Video game joints is (a) The technology evolves too quickly and is costly to turn the inventory (which is necessary) and (B) Video games are such a commodity now, arcades don't have much to offer as they have lost their competitive edge (first it was graphics quality, then it was head-to-head play, now it almost has to be a gimmick).

Also, the center part of the roof would make a great outdoor entertainment venue. Depending on the sound restrictions, I think it would be great to see an outdoor rooftop dancefloor ala Skybar in L.A. or the Palms in Las Vegas.

I also think the Post Bar would be perfect for your building. The building they are going in is so so. Pretty small too! It should help attract business though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your kind words.

I like your ideas, the only problem is I am not the end user, just the building owner. Need to find the right tenant. Right now, they are manufacturing chemicals in the place; a one person manuf. facility. Clearly not the best use for that....

The listing broker has a good contact w/ dave-busters and made initial contact today. Not sure who's ideas that was maybe GRdadof 3 on a previous thread?

Anyhow I like the retail idea, it is being explored aggressively as it has been for a few months now.

Also like the apartment concept, but cost / foot is high for buildouts and I cant seem to figure out how it works w/ my high acquistion cost.... will stay after it....

The rooftop is SCREAMING for a cool bar concept. We're doing some cool roof stuff a block away for our apartment residents at 216 Grandville. Full plans when appropriate.

Eric

The rooftop is SCREAMING for a cool bar concept.  We're doing some cool roof stuff a block away for our apartment residents at 216 Grandville.  Full plans when appropriate.

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got a chance to peek in the windows today at 216 Grandville, very cool stuff!

Archived