DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

How about state offices

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a good idea, since the state owns the damn thing, and it is unattractive for residential development. The Jefferson NIMBYs should be agreeable to it as well. However I still like my museum idea. :P

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a good idea, since the state owns the damn thing, and it is unattractive for residential development/ The Jefferson NIMBYs should be a greeable to it as well. However I still like my museum idea.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have a question some of you more traveled folks might be able to answer... What would go in this type of area in other metro locations... Boston... NY ... Washington

i have a question some of you more traveled folks might be able to answer... What would go in this type of area in other metro locations... Boston... NY ... Washington

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, I don't know, nothing really. I'm trying to think of comparable interchanges in other cities. It's comparable to the Allston Plaza in Boston which has a Doubletree Hotel and a science lab in close proximity to it, though not almost under a ramp. The Whitestone, Van Wyck, GCP interchange in Queens has a bunch of strip malls around it. The South Bay interchange in Boston is going to be mostly decked over, so there won't be anything near the ramps.

It's actually surpising that we have things like Jefferson at Providence Place and the back side of Federal Hill pressed up against this interchange. On the downtown side it's all parking garages and loading docks.

Boston's putting a skatepark under a ramp leading from the Zakim Bridge to the Tobin Bridge.

There has been a winning bidder for the right to redevelop the old Fruit Warehouse building. Carpionato Properties Inc of Johnston won the bid with 4.5 million for a property the state paid 16 million for (they had to buy it to lopp off a section to make room for the highway ramp. Its listed on the National Register, and was bought with state money, so the state would have to have very good reason to take it down.)

The building needs a lot of work and investment, but it is a solid structure. A lot of it is underground as well (naturally colder there), as there were tunnels connecting it to the Merchant's Cold Storage warehouse that used to be across the street. Unfortunately, Carpionato does not impress me. They aren't visionaries; some of their other projects include the Holiday Inn Express & Suites near TF Green and the Crowne Plaza at the Crossings.

Unfortunately, the building gets very little sun, being in sort of a valley and surrounded by larger structures like the mall and the Foundry, and it is always colder than everything else (by design, it was used for produce storage ans shipping). Good luck making apartments out of it, and the owners of the mall will kill them if they try to go after the same sort of retail tenants. I am surprised that JP doesn't want to see retail there, as that application makes the most sense.

I envision an open air Quincy Market type thing on the first floor, office space on the second floor, residential on the third, and the structure could easily support an extra fourth floor of penthouses.

I read that info on your site after I posted about my museum. I still want my museum built.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a Landsdowne Street-like strip of clubs? Noise and other club nuisance certainly won't be an issue there (except maybe for Jefferson Place, and who really cares about them anyway :D ).

How about a Landsdowne Street-like strip of clubs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, clubs might be a really good idea. Parking may be an issue, but night life is a good thing. There is already Club Monet up the street from JP. And a late night diner! God I miss the Silver Top... there is barely anywhere to get grub after 10:00 most nights...

Kamp is in the basement of the Foundry.

It's a pain in the ass though, it is so close to my house, but the Dean Street bridge means it's so far away. There's no way I'm walking home from Kamp (or any clubs on Harris Ave.) without improvements to Dean Street. The Downcity clubs are much more accessible.

I thought kamp closed down a month ago or recently!!?  Isn't the lease up and the building owner doesnt want them there anymore?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Glad I haven't tried to drag my sorry ass over there recently. I'd be annoyed to get there and find it closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Fire damages old market in Providence

Monday, April 11, 2005

PROVIDENCE -- Firefighters doused a smoky, smelly and suspicious fire inside the old farmer's market building on Harris Avenue last evening.

Nobody was hurt in the fire, which took about 20 minutes to put out, said fire Chief David Costa, in an interview at the scene at about 7:30 p.m.

The shuttered, state-owned building has no electricity, Costa said. He said it was "more than likely" that somebody had caused the fire. It burned some of the contents of the concrete building, such as old pallets and crates, he said. The fire is under investigation, and the state fire marshal had been notified, he said.

Shortly after 7 last night, firefighters inside the building removed plywood from the windows on the second floor, to aid in ventilating the smoke.

From ProJo.com

Fire damages old market in Providence

Monday, April 11, 2005

PROVIDENCE -- Firefighters doused a smoky, smelly and suspicious fire inside the old farmer's market building on Harris Avenue last evening.

Nobody was hurt in the fire, which took about 20 minutes to put out, said fire Chief David Costa, in an interview at the scene at about 7:30 p.m.

The shuttered, state-owned building has no electricity, Costa said. He said it was "more than likely" that somebody had caused the fire. It burned some of the contents of the concrete building, such as old pallets and crates, he said. The fire is under investigation, and the state fire marshal had been notified, he said.

Shortly after 7 last night, firefighters inside the building removed plywood from the windows on the second floor, to aid in ventilating the smoke.

From ProJo.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe this makes 3 fires that have been set in this building which is an eyesore and needs to demolished before a firefighter get hurt. If this building ever goes up they'll have to close down Rt 95 and Rt 6/10 :angry:

Hi all, this is my first actual post on Urban Planet (I've been reading it for a couple weeks) -- this seemed a good place to start.

A couple people have mentioned Dean Street so far, and as someone who lives on Smith Hill and works in South Providence this is something I think about nearly every day (especially now that I'm trying to bike to work). It's the only thing that really connects Smith Hill to Federal Hill, Broadway, the South Side -- and it's not at all pedestrian friendly or bike friendly (it's barely even car friendly). It would be great to see a walking/biking bridge over 6/10, and it would help re-connect two fairly vibrant parts of the city.

A couple people have mentioned Dean Street so far, and as someone who lives on Smith Hill and works in South Providence this is something I think about nearly every day (especially now that I'm trying to bike to work).  It's the only thing that really connects Smith Hill to Federal Hill, Broadway, the South Side -- and it's not at all pedestrian friendly or bike friendly (it's barely even car friendly).  It would be great to see a walking/biking bridge over 6/10, and it would help re-connect two fairly vibrant parts of the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome IcPvd.

I have a few ideas floating in my head for how the Dean Street crossing should be. I should put them down on paper.

Hi all, this is my first actual post on Urban Planet (I've been reading it for a couple weeks) -- this seemed a good place to start.

A couple people have mentioned Dean Street so far, and as someone who lives on Smith Hill and works in South Providence this is something I think about nearly every day (especially now that I'm trying to bike to work).  It's the only thing that really connects Smith Hill to Federal Hill, Broadway, the South Side -- and it's not at all pedestrian friendly or bike friendly (it's barely even car friendly).  It would be great to see a walking/biking bridge over 6/10, and it would help re-connect two fairly vibrant parts of the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey neighbor. I have the same commute and also have been trying to figure out an acceptable bike route. Its only a few miles from my house to my office in South Elmwood, but they're treacherous miles.

I saw a guy riding his bike down Dean St the other day. He was riding down from Federal hill towards Kinsley, in the left lane along the median, and I thought, this guy is crazy. Then I looked around and thought....well... where else is he going to go?

Hey neighbor.  I have the same commute and also have been trying to figure out an acceptable bike route.  Its only a few miles from my house to my office in South Elmwood, but they're treacherous miles. 

I saw a guy riding his bike down Dean St the other day.  He was riding down from Federal hill towards Kinsley, in the left lane along the median, and I thought, this guy is crazy.  Then I looked around and thought....well... where else is he going to go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried taking the long route down Valley, past Eagle Square up to Olneyville Square, and then Dexter St. from Westminster to Potters. Then I decided the extra mile and a half to avoid Dean wasn't worth it. So now I huff and puff and look over my shoulder and try not to get killed on my way up to Atwells.

I remember last year on my way down Dean St. a woman leaned out of her convertible and yelled that I wasn't supposed to be biking on the highway. That seems to be how most people view that stretch of road.

I remember last year on my way down Dean St. a woman leaned out of her convertible and yelled that I wasn't supposed to be biking on the highway.  That seems to be how most people view that stretch of road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

The Procanatti Group bought the building from the state for 4 million, while the state paid 16 million for it back when they had to tear off a chunk of it to fit the new highway off ramp for the mall. Since it was purchased with Federal dollars, and it is a National Register building, the state cant tear it down. But the Procanatti Group might be trying to use arson as an excuse to do just that. I personally would be sad to see it go... the last remaining building in our Cold Storage district, but i can understand why others think it is an eyesore.

• 4 weeks later...

The Procanatti Group bought the building from the state for 4 million, while the state paid 16 million for it back when they had to tear off a chunk of it to fit the new highway off ramp for the mall. Since it was purchased with Federal dollars, and it is a National Register building, the state cant tear it down. But the Procanatti Group might be trying to use arson as an excuse to do just that. I personally would be sad to see it go... the last remaining building in our Cold Storage district, but i can understand why others think it is an eyesore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carpionato won the bid for this proerty. If you have Adobe go to page 12

http://www.statepropertiescommittee.ri.gov...utes/032905.pdf

I think the Market should be divided up according to it's existing sections, narrow as they are. Let them be two story live-work / mixed use / anything goes. 2 story, full basement, roof decks, private parking in back and public in front.

I see offices, markets, boutiques, restraunts, and housing all mixed together. Housing alone would make that end of Harris a bedroom community. Commercial alone would make it in oposition to the Jefferson. Let it be a coral reef of random uses, and it will find it's own level.

Just clean up the concrete, provide basic utilities and let the buyers build to suit. They'll go quick.

RE egress, the mall screwed Promenade / Harris... That major artery dead ends into capillaries one block from the heart. It's a virtual dead end. In their desparation to get the mall, severe chunks of soul were sold off: view of the State House, river walk, Harris connection to downtown..... between the rail and the mall it's a permanent mess.

I think that if Harris becomes a mixed use community, people who already drive around to the rear parking garages, or leave them, will be drawn into the valley and flow to Eagle Sq and beyond. But it is akward.

Archived