Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

Bay Bridge

It seems California is having issues with funding San Francisco's new Bay Bridge... Full Article

BayBridge.jpg

CNN

"The current design for new east span, approved in 1998, calls for a suspension bridge anchored by a 524-foot-tall tower. It's already under construction, but stops 2,100 feet before reaching the island.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, vowed to scrap that design after the cost overruns became public last year, saying the financially strapped state couldn't afford it.

Instead, he wants to complete the two-mile span with a towerless concrete skyway. State officials say the simple structure could be finished around 2012, and shave up to $400 million off the price."

----------------------------------

The downside with Arnold's plan is that a potentially attractive bridge wouldn't be built. The reality is the California has $5billion in debt, and any effort to save money should be taken. What do you think?

The downside with Arnold's plan is that a potentially attractive bridge wouldn't be built. The reality is the California has $5billion in debt, and any effort to save money should be taken. What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've read in the local newspapers, at this point, either design will end up costing about the same amount of money. If they'd used the original, non-suspension design to begin with, that would've been less expensive but at this point they'd have to do new studies that would jack up the cost.

Not everyone liked the suspension design in any case. For example, the architectural critic for the Mercury News--Alan Hess--was never in favor of the suspension. I'll try and find some of the articles about the design criticisms and the cost of using either bridge design and post them.

My vote would have been to use the original "skyway" design submitted by Caltrans.

I am from Charlotte, NC and just heard a little snip-it on Modern Marvels about the new skyway. I have seen the renderings of the suspension design, but the competeing design, does it look the same just without the giant 500ft. tower? I personally think it is quite a unique design and I like it.

^^I as well caught that on MM on the History Channel, great piece on all the great work CalTran is doing on bay area transportation improvements and the history of those structures construction. Emperor Norton the I first proposed a bay bridge . . . now that was some visionary lol.

:lol: that would be a fitting tribute, seems like Pittsburgh has gotten that bug too renaming bridges for hometown heros like Clemente, Warhol, Rachel Carson, the Homestead Greys (Negro League Baseball team), and Hot Metal recently. Adds much flavor to the local landscape.

Which bridge is the Warhol?

I agree that a name should be a bit more personal than 'Bay Bridge'. Golden Gate is a geographically named bridge but it's still a better name than Bay Bridge.

Emperor Norton Bridge! That has to be the best idea ever.

Anyway, it continually amazes me that with taxes there as high as they are, but services that seem well below the level of taxation that the state is always out of money. I was born and raised there, I love the state, but I never could figure that one out.

Which bridge is the Warhol?

The Roberto Clemente, Andy Warhol and Rachel Carson bridges are the old "triplet bridges" that look identical and are golden art deco suspension bridges over the Allegheny River, the Warhol is the one that carries 7th street, Clemente down one block at 6th and Carson is 9th street (8th has no bridge).

Emperor Norton would be one unique tribute to a very very colorful local character out there!

So how is the east span of the bay bridge coming along these days? I would imagine that it's getting closer to completion? Does anyone have any recent photos?

RestedTraveler,

I have no pics of the east span...but as far as I know it is no where near completion. According to the Chronicle, "the reconstruction and retrofit of the Bay Bridge's east span are expected to cost about $6 billion and the span will open to traffic in both directions by 2013."

Can't afford it?! It always boggles my mind...California's by far the richest state in the Union with taxes to match. If they really set their priorities straight, neither the debt nor the cost of a new Bay Bridge would be an obstacle to them...but having observed the CA legislature, it's not likely at all that'd ever happen.

Yikes! 2013! That's going to be a while. The $6 billion price tag seems a tad bit excessive, too, but I suppose it's costly to build such a structure and consider seismic factors as well.

Good to know, thanks! It'll be re-opened by the time I'm in the city, so I may attempt some photos from Treasure Island.

Somewhat off the subject of the Bay Bridge east span construction...but on yesterday some 58,000 gallons of heavy-duty bunker fuel oil was spilled into the bay when a containter ship struck the Bay Bridge. The bridge span was not damaged. Large patches of oil remain floating in the bay. San Francisco beaches of Fort Point, Baker Beach, China Beach, Crissy Field and Kirby Cover Beach in Marin County are closed. It's been reported that a surfer emerged from the the water at Ft. Point covered with oil and needed to be decominated. Also, dead birds were washing up at Alacatrez Island last night...

ba_spill_beach_100_pc.jpg

click here for SFGATE FULL Story Coverage and Pics