Which area will be Charlotte's secondary skyline?

CLTfanatic

Yeah, redeveloping Midtown with some nice towers WOULD be cool. I'd see it more as an extension to the uptown skyline and not really as a secondary skyline. I think that would be good though, since it seems now that tower and high-rise development is restricted to the inside of I-277 (which is not necessarily bad; I like a more compact skyline).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there is a 14-15 story skyscraper planned on the Midtown Mall redevelopment site (the condo tower would go where the Exxon is now). Also, grubb plans at least one apartment building that would be 11 stories high in his Elizabeth Ave. project. I also think the parcel that is bound by Independence, 3rd, and Kings might have a mid to high-rise. This last one is pure speculation based on the asking price for the land.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that south end around tryon and going down south blvd will be our secondary sky line.... its somewhat of one already with the big pink building. Just needs some more height and already has that urban feel when you go down there.

This is the order I see for our secondary sky lines

Southend

Elizabeth ave

Midtown

Noda

Southpark or University area

• 2 weeks later...

If South End, Moorehead or Elizabeth add high rises, it will still be a part of the skyline we see now. My idea of a secondary skyline is that from a distance, the two skylines are noticeably apart from each other. While I would be suprised to see NoDa get a true "sky line", that to me would be enough distance between the Uptown skyline to consider it a true secondary sky line. There are "plans" for cleaning up North Tryon and the land is rather cheap there in comparison to other areas, so maybe we would see something go up there or where Graham St. is.

I would also be suprised to see South Park go verticle at least due to reasons previously stated pertaining to corporations already there growing. Aren't most of the buildings there rented? What large corporations own buildings there and are headquartered there? If the smaller corporations grew large enough, they would probably buy there own buildings, but not necessarily stay in that area. Who knows, just food for thought.

Last, I heard somewhere that the ground in the South End area had already been tested for high rise development and proved to be too soft for development of high rises. Has anyone else heard this?

Archived