Watson Hill neighborhood development

Charleston native

So how exactly would a Charleston County consolidation help in all of this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very good question! A complete total consolidation of the county is not possible, though, due to many citizens of smaller beachside towns such as Folly Beach and Edisto beach that want to continue to have their own entities. If a consolidation was to occur, it would be a merger that consisted of Charleston, N. Chuck, St. Andrews PSD (rest of the West Ashley), James Island PSD, and a chunk of Johns Island into a much bigger city of Charleston.

The consolidation or merger would really help in the Watson Hill situation for a couple of reasons. First, it would put the annexation, management, and zoning of the land into one city that can easily provide water, trash, and police protection with the proximity of the city limits being in West Ashley. Currently, N. Chuck would have to go through many miles of roads and traffic just to reach the area. It is ridiculous for that city have the land because it cannot feasibly serve the area. The 2nd reason is that under the city of Charleston's jurisdiction, the development can be strictly zoned, preventing the massive development originally proposed. Granted, the project's scope has been reduced significantly, but the north city's zoning ordinances are to liberal for any control of growth. It has a bad reputation for expansive growth with no control or well-planned development. Charleston's bureaucracy could reduce the outcry from concerned residents with its reputation.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I read somewhere else that N. Charleston wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a consolidation (or quasi-consolidation of sorts, somewhat like Charlotte-Mecklenburg); I would think that this Watson Hill issue could be a catalyst to at least seriously consider this. Or is it that all of the cities involved, particularly N. Charleston, are being greedy and not thinking in terms of the development of the area as a whole?

Or is it that all of the cities involved, particularly N. Charleston, are being greedy and not thinking in terms of the development of the area as a whole?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is exactly correct! You hit the nail on the head, dude; this whole issue could be resolved better if some of these communities consolidated and worked out these problems as a whole, single entity. Instead, many of the cities that would be involved see themselves as being completely separate from Charleston, as if they could exist and prosper without their proximity to the city. <_< And what is amazing is that N. Charleston's leaders seem to think that way the most...and the city is named after its mother city! The north city's leaders are being very greedy in this annexation fiasco and are being completely beligerent to Summerville and Charleston. I really don't mind the development, though, especially with the builders reducing its scope to 1,000 homes and a hotel.

But you're right...this issue could have been worked out with far less bureaucracy involved if N. Chuck and Charleston were one city of Charleston.

So how exactly would a Charleston County consolidation help in all of this?
It wouldn't really, except it would take N. Charleston out of the equation. The Watson Hill property is in DORCHESTER county.

Granted, the project's scope has been reduced significantly, but the north city's zoning ordinances are to liberal for any control of growth. It has a bad reputation for expansive growth with no control or well-planned development. Charleston's bureaucracy could reduce the outcry from concerned residents with its reputation.

Actually, N. Charleston zoning is no more liberal than that of Dorchester County, Charleston County or the City of Charleston. The Town of Summerville is pretty stringent, as is Mt. Don't Build Here Pleasant, and the now defunct Town of James Island. Most development in the Dorchester Rd corrider in Dorchester County was done/is being done under N. Chuck jurisdiction including White Hall, Coosaw Creek and Wescott Plantation. The only problem with N. Chuck is that people usually associate it with the areas on lower Dorchester Rd and Rivers Ave, not exactly the nice side of Town.

The real problem around here (Charleston Area) is the fact, as CN pointed out, that there is so much competition for areas growth and each city seeks its own agenda rather than a common goal. Consolidation would help overcome this, but would likely have little impact on the Watson Hill Development.

I really don't mind the development, though, especially with the builders reducing its scope to 1,000 homes and a hotel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought that 1000 homes and a hotel were always the plans for the initial phase of the development, and any additional development would come only when/if the Glenn McConnell was completed.

The way I understand it, the full 4400 homes was in several phases, based on things like the Glenn McConnell, and the developers were looking to go ahead and get approval on everything now, instead of coming back in 5-10 years, which is what I would assume that they would do, if the 1000 home first phase is approved.

I still think it is their long term goal to build 4000+ homes, at least the way I have read the articles. And the reason they are only asking for approval on the 1000 homes is because of the misinformation that the traffic from 4400 homes and 200 hotel rooms will be driving down Hwy 61. Maybe I missed something. Is this not correct?

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought that 1000 homes and a hotel were always the plans for the initial phase of the development, and any additional development would come only when/if the Glenn McConnell was completed.

The way I understand it, the full 4400 homes was in several phases, based on things like the Glenn McConnell, and the developers were looking to go ahead and get approval on everything now, instead of coming back in 5-10 years, which is what I would assume that they would do, if the 1000 home first phase is approved.

I still think it is their long term goal to build 4000+ homes, at least the way I have read the articles. And the reason they are only asking for approval on the 1000 homes is because of the misinformation that the traffic from 4400 homes and 200 hotel rooms will be driving down Hwy 61. Maybe I missed something. Is this not correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I gleamed from the articles as well. The developers haven't given up anything really, they are just trying to be more PC.

Summerville has now placed their town limit sign at the Dorchester county line on hwy 61. You leave Charleston's city limits and enter right into Summerville. Only thing is that its a long drive before you see anything besides the plantation and gardens. Lowcountry towns are growing like wildfire. Charleston, N.Chuck, Hardeeville, Bluffton, Mount Pleasant, Awendaw, Hollywood, Beaufort, and Summerville seem to be forging the next population shift to the coast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are on the right track, but the big caveat to the different phases is the completion of Glenn McConnell. Some developers such as The Beach Co are saying that it will never be completed, but I think they are mistaken. It will be completed, but the city of Charleston is looking to shift the highway farther from SC 61. Eventually, Glenn McConnell will connect with I-95, but will come in far away from where Watson Hill will be.

The long term goal may be there, but development is going to be built more towards Glenn McConnell and away from SC 61, at least that's what will be intended.

You are on the right track, but the big caveat to the different phases is the completion of Glenn McConnell. Some developers such as The Beach Co are saying that it will never be completed, but I think they are mistaken. It will be completed, but the city of Charleston is looking to shift the highway farther from SC 61. Eventually, Glenn McConnell will connect with I-95, but will come in far away from where Watson Hill will be.

The long term goal may be there, but development is going to be built more towards Glenn McConnell and away from SC 61, at least that's what will be intended.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We will probably all be dead and buried before Glenn McConnell reaches I-95. What is the next phase of the highway. What is the next major highway it will reach. would Watson Hill's later phases be built when it reaches that highway?

We will probably all be dead and buried before Glenn McConnell reaches I-95.  What is the next phase of the highway. What is the next major highway it will reach.  would Watson Hill's later phases be built when it reaches that highway?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Glenn McConnell is slated to be extended to hwy 165 and eventually to Hwy 17A. Extending it to 95 would be a longshot. I don't think I've heard that mentioned as a goal. Basically HWY 61 and Hwy 17A already provide access to 95, why extend another road

The last phases had always been contingent on completion of the Glenn McConnell. The only deifference is they were seeking approval of those phases now to buffer themselves from future zoning changes. The latest presentation just doesn't seek those approvals right now.

Ok, I am confused here, and I think I missed something. I thought that the Watson Hill area was annexed by Charleston?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope...neither Charleston nor Summerville annexed Watson Hill. Instead, Charleston annexed up 61 to the Dorchester/Charleston County line. Summerville annexed down 61 to the county line. This was intended to block N. Charleston from gaining contiguous-ness (sp?). For good measure Summerville also annexed the Mateeba Estates area which contains the crucial Barry Tract. The Barry Tract is directly across the Ashley River from Kings Grant Golf course (which recently annexed into N. Charleston) AND it is contiguous to the Watson Hill Tract. N. Charleston annexed the Barry Tract and Watson Hill....So as of right now, the Barry Tract has been annexed by both SUmmerville and N. Charleston.

And after the divorce, Blake married...wait ...thats a different soap opera...LOL.

Its become more about who gets the land first down here in the lowcountry. Charleston now has its city limit sign atthe county line on highway 61 coming south, yet you don't get to downtown for another 35 minutes or so. Summerville has out its sign across the street from the Charleston sign on the same route heading north. North charleston has ercted a sign just 4 miles from the Sumemrville sign and another one about 6 miles away on highway 165. The cities in the lowcountry are growing like wildfire here. Another contrversy is that now North Charleston's city limits reach up to Summerville in the Oakbrook area. Once you leave Ladson road you enter the city of North Charleston. Rumor is now that Charleston is planning a huge annexation in West Ashley to fill in the holes and around the Bees Ferry area where huge commercial and residential development is being planned. With filling in the holes that the city has been in talks with residents who are ready to be serviced by the city, there are estimated 25,000 to 30,000 residents in the area known as St. Andrews (not to be confused with the St. Andrews in Columbia).

• 3 weeks later...

http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive...022409253.shtml

North Charleston City Attorney J. Brady Hair and Deputy City Attorney Derk Van Raalte argue in the lawsuit that Summerville's annexation of the Barry tract was invalid for the following reasons:

-- North Charleston was already in the process of annexing the Barry tract when Summerville announced its intentions and received the annexation petition. The city received an annexation petition that included the Barry tract the evening of April 27, the day before Summerville's actions.

-- Summerville advertised a public hearing to annex 22 parcels, including the Barry tract, before the town actually received the annexation petition. The town published a notice of a public hearing in The Post and Courier on April 28. The paper is printed by 5 a.m. The town didn't receive the petition until 8:40 a.m., the suit says.

-- The town gave only 29 days notice with its April 28 notice of a May 27 annexation hearing. State law requires 30 days notice.

-- The map showing properties to be annexed included some that were not listed in the petition; the description of the properties in the petition was inadequate; the town failed to give the required notice to other government entities; the annexation was an improper governmental purpose; the public hearing didn't include a statement of what public services the town would provide.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

• 1 month later...

We've got another lawsuit in this annexation boondoggle. This time, four north city residents have filed a complaint against the city for annexing Watson Hill and the nearby Barry tract. The complaint argues that Summerville annexed the Barry tract a few days before the north city did, so its annexation is void. Summerville annexed properties that include the Barry tract June 3 and the north city annexed the Barry tract and Watson Hill June 7.

If you read the article, you might get dizzy from trying to figure out all the lawsuits that have been filed and are under review. I'm not going to try to explain it, since I might further confuse people. Let's just say that the north city is getting sued by just about everybody, and this city is only suing Summerville.

...I think... ^_^

Residents join Watson Hill suits

I know...I'm really hoping for Summerville to win and take the Barry tract. That would negate the north city's annexation of Watson Hill and prevent the area from being wrought with overdevelopment. Of course, I also just loathe the existence of the north city, wishing that it would merge with the city of Charleston, but I think it is justifed with the mayor's zealous quest for land and economic power. Summey acts as if his city is not a suburb.

Archived