Watson Hill neighborhood development

Charleston native

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with that to some extent, but you'd be surprised at mayors who understand what they're suburban city is supposed to be. Look at Mayor Hallman of Mt. Pleasant. How about Goose Creek and Hanahan? You have many people in these suburban cities who always reference their home as Charleston, which is what normal suburbanites would do. They can grow and develop, but they also understand that the world (or metro area) ;) doesn't revolve around them.

• 9 months later...

Whoa, the north city and S'ville are trying to actually find an agreement on this Watson Hill deal. Again, just read the article link since the legal lingo is a little too complicated for me to sum up. Also, I'm working on a research project, and I need to keep the rest of my brain cells. ;)

City, town try to resolve Watson Hill

How great to see that both towns (Summerville & North Charleston) are attempting to work out an amiable agreement. However, I am on the side of beautiful Summerville; though, I am sure that North Chuck would do all right with the tract across the Ashley since NChas is nothing more than a badly comtemporary-design version of Charleston. I wish that I did not have such a low opinion of North Chuck's mayor & every mayor North Chuck has had. But Summey's comments and jealousy of Charleston never fails to rub me the wrong way; I would not blink and only cheer if the government of North Chucksimply dissappeared overnight...History of North Charleston

It seems to me that the current as well as previous mayors (???) of North Charleston continue to create discord in the Charleston region, instead of promoting peace and harmony as it could and should be.

How wonderful it be to see in my life-time one harmonious/consolidated government of thecity & county of Charleston , much like the great consolidated City & County of San Francisco: 2005 population: 799,263 souls...Area: 600.7 km

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A lot has happened with this recently.

Summerville and North Charleston agreed to a settlement where the property would annex to North Charleston, and NC would agree not to annex any closer toward Summerville.

Now the property owner has been foreclosed upon.

Watson Hill land foreclosed upon

Will a conservation agency buy the land, that would cost tens of milions of dollars? Is the annexation issue fully settled? If a conservation agency bought it or gained an eassement would NC de-annex it, since it would provide no taxes ? Will Charleston try to box in NC from annexing into West Ashley?

An interesting new chapter begins.

A conservation easement doesn't mean it won't produce taxes. Land owners do realize significant tax savings, but they still pay some taxes.

I assume this means N. Chas will annex into West Ashley ASAP. I expect more battles like this between Charleston and N. Chas.

I assume this means N. Chas will annex into West Ashley ASAP. I expect more battles like this between Charleston and N. Chas.

I'm sure that NC will try, but I wouldn't bet that they will be successful. Charleston has annexed the HWY 61 ROW up to the Dorchester line. That gives them a leg up in contiguity. I think a large amount of the undeveloped West Ashley land is already in a conservation easement. That reduces North Charleston's incentive.

Given the large cost of establishing services across the river from the original city, N.C. will need to keep the Watson Hill tract out of conservation hands in order to justify the expense of providing protection and services to it.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm from the North City as some affectionately call it, and I'm excited to see my city jump the Ashley. I understand a lot of the feelings other cities and towns in the Metro Area have towards North Charleston, but I see it as a " what Charleston won't do we will" kind of thing. IMO, I think Mayor Sumney is trying to put us in position to compete regionally (Southeast) with larger cities in the future. Bringing larger corporations and more employment to the region, witch brings more prosperity to all. It's seems as if the rest of the Metro Area is a little skittish about becoming a major key area in the region, along with places like Charlotte and Atlanta Metro Areas.

Archived